Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odyssey PC680 Battery

Had one of these laying around from my NA Miata and installed it yesterday took some photos and wanted to show what I did. Cranked and runs fine so far.

I tested the fit first. I kept the guard in place, also note that I have it backwards in some of the photos.

I cut a piece of wood to make sure the battery was secured. It was 4 inch x 10 inch.

Painted it with some black high heat paint I had in my garage.

Cut a piece of rubber from a bike tire to hold down the battery.

Fin.

Nice job. What is the weight saving?
I've also got one installed and I think it's somewhere in the vicinity of 12-15lbs saved. Any weight off the nose is a good thing, and it helps to offset the added weight of the larger radiator and intercooler I've added. I've run the PC680 w/metal jacket for some time now and am pretty happy with it. It performs flawlessly, and I even have a small amp and subwoofer that it pushes as well as its daily duties. I used a strap cut from an old duffel bag and two small screws (be careful with the length, as you don't want to screw into your ECU) to hold it with a small folded section stuffed under the hold down. Looks decent, and it doesn't move at all. I think I paid around $120 on Amazon for it. I'd recommend the PC680MJ, as it has the metal jacket which gives it a higher heat tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Have not looked into these but it would help offset the skid plate weight but not sure if they would be adequate for winter cold starts.

Odyssey states on their website that the operating range for the PC680 is -40c to 80c. Dunno how much real world testing at -40c has actually been done, tho.

Thanks might look into these. Worse case it's a summer only thing.
Yeah, with me being in Texas, we might see like 20*F at the very lowest, so I'm not at the mercy of cold weather. A trickle charger could maybe help during cold days. Also, Braille has a few lightweight batteries with really good CCA that are a little pricier, starting at $150+. Shorai makes an awesome LI battery that has excellent CCA and weighs less than 5lbs, but it's roughly $280-$320, depending on where you go.

...Shorai makes an awesome LI battery that has excellent CCA and weighs less than 5lbs, but it's roughly $280-$320, depending on where you go.
Had the Shorai LFX36L3-BC12 (12Ah, largest LiFe they make, $310). Fired up my FiST for 15-days. Not enough reserve capacity. At 4.6 lbs, it was worth a try.

Next was the Odyssey PC680 (16Ah, 14.4 lbs, $97). Didn't have any issues with the PC680. Worked well in daily-driven application. Recall a track battery thread elsewhere on forum where others have had no issues with the PC680. Using the PC625 (18Ah, 13.4 lbs, $115) in the car now for that extra pound of weight reduction. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Odyssey states on their website that the operating range for the PC680 is -40c to 80c. Dunno how much real world testing at -40c has actually been done, tho.
I don't think that CG is worried about the lowest temps it can tolerate, but more the actual CCA it has at crazy low temps, when the oil in the sump is like chilled molasses. [wink]

It's also why I will probably be FORCED to go with one of the co$tly Li deals, since I want BOTH max weight savings, AND FULL 500 CCA+/high reserve capacity stock-like power for a year 'round, daily driven FiST. [:(]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have used the PC680 on track only cars and street/track cars but lately have been using the less expensive but great working Big Crank or Decca (as far as I can tell both are the same as Braille but less money).
I have a larger version in the ST right now due to high end alarm dropping the voltage to low in the winter after just a couple of days parked but then bought the proper charger so could of kept the smaller battery but I have it in the rear of the car where I needed more weight so stayed with it.

I took a really good look into Li batteries but the cost per weight saved was not equal to the gain in a CF hood where I needed to drop weight off the car instead of in the rear where the battery is, I would have to dig up the info but the battery I would of used was in the $800 range to get the quality needed and on board controller to protect it.

OP
lordgeese
Thread Starter #11
I just happened to use it because I had it in my garage so why not. 15lbs less and I'm in NoVA so doesn't really get that cold here so no worries for me.

Business6

I had one of these on my Mazda6 years ago. Don't know if I'd ever run this battery again given where I live, how deep the cold gets and how long it stays that way but I'll be damned if it didn't help the turn-in during autocross. Taking any weight off the nose of the vehicle makes a considerable difference so if you live in a more temperate climate I'd strongly recommend checking out a light battery.

Would love to do a battery relocation to the trunk, though.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
In motorcycle use people in cold climates cycle the key on and off to revive Li batteries .

Siestarider

I have run the PC680 18 months with no issues. DD and tracking. Running heater full blast on track to keep temps below 250 F. Warm climate though, never have to take summer tires off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TURBO BLACK EcoBoost Engine Upgrades 6