Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

It finally happened

Was driving home on the 60 in Phoenix rush hour traffic, half way home and the car overheated. Happened to be at the exit for the dealer so I limped her in to the service department to have them take a look at it. I'm waiting to get a rental right now because I have to drop her off.

Such a bummer that it happened. Felt kinda like it was inevitable based on a lot of things I've read and what I've heard, especially with the damn summer heat being 110+ this week.

Anyway, they need to keep it overnight and look at it tomorrow. Is there anything specific I need to make sure they look at or questions to ask?

Thanks in advance, I've been lurking on this forum for months and the info and knowledge are amazing!

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Good call. Sorry I didn't post that.
It's a MY2016
14084 miles
Only mod installed so far is a RAMAIR filter

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Is there anything specific I need to make sure they look at or questions to ask?
You can ask them about possibly changing the coolant mix. This is from the Fiesta ST owners manual, page 185.

If you drive in extremely hot climates:
• It may be necessary to have a Ford
authorized dealer decrease the coolant
concentration to 40%.
• A coolant concentration of 40% will
provide improved overheat protection.
Engine coolant concentrations below
40% will decrease the corrosion/freeze
protection characteristics of the engine
coolant and may cause engine
damage.
Vehicles driven year-round in non-extreme
climates should use prediluted engine
coolant for optimum cooling system and
engine protection.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In all of these overheating cases with this car, has a faulty thermostat EVER been the culprit??

We know about the head/head gasket thing, but is that always the only root cause of the problem? [dunno]

VirtualRonin

Active Military
And what are good running temps for the vehicle?
As long as it stays below 240F; if I remember correctly it will go into limp mode above that temp which you will only be able to monitor with an Accessport or OBD2 device. The bar indicator on the dash for water temp is not a great way to tell, I believe it goes full bars at 235F or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As long as it stays below 240F; if I remember correctly it will go into limp mode above that temp which you will only be able to monitor with an Accessport or OBD2 device. The bar indicator on the dash for water temp is not a great way to tell, I believe it goes full bars at 235F or so.
Has anyone ever monitored the cluster bar graph 'gauge' to see what the actual temp is at the 'normal' 4 bars, using a REAL coolant temp gauge (or does the AP take/show the ACTUAL coolant temp from one of the factory sensors as reported to the ECM, and not just 'interpolate/algorithmize' it like it does so many other data points)??

Subbed. Curious if it's an easy fix for the dealer. I have a '16 FiST as well but we rarely ever break 100F here in NYC. I thought the overheating issues happened to some of the earlier '14 and '15 which is why I avoided buying one used to be safe. But 110F in stop and go for ANY car is rough.

Business6

But 110F in stop and go for ANY car is rough.
Indeed. Both my 91 and 00 Miatas had issues in the worst summer heat, though it was much more frequent with the 91 even outside of traffic. I don't think I've ever owned a car that didn't fall flat on its face during the peak of summer.

TheStig

Yeah thats not normal. I drive from Tempe to Phoenix in rush hour, about 45 minutes, mostly surface streets. 2014 FiST. 91 octane OTS stage 1 tune, intake. Never even gets near warm, even when it was 118 the other day.

Hope they figure it out, assuming San Tan Ford. I got mine there too.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
FYI My 2016 overheated; the dealer said "internal failure in the radiator." They replaced the radiator.