Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Technique with Big feet? New Pedals?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Several weeks ago, took a walk in the park after a heavy rain and muddied the shoes really bad. So... barefoot. Normally I stab the clutch with quite a bit of force. Not only did I have to use much less force but also had to be more precise in my aim. I don't think it'd be much fun having the foot slip off the clutch pedal.

I have size 12 as well and drive in dress shoes, boots, and sneakers w/o issue. When clutching out in first gear I keep my heel grounded until I'm going quick enough (like 5 mph) to completely release the clutch. After that I ground my heel and rest the ball of my boot on the clutch until i'm ready to shift.
Recommend keeping foot *completely* off the clutch pedal between shifts. A lot of people inadvertently ride the clutch that way.

Just lazily holding my fingers over the keyboard, there have been times when a... dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd or other letter shows up on my screen. (particularly when sleepy)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wear a size 13, and never have a problem with the clutch, but I do have a problem with hitting the brake and throttle at the same time (when I DO NOT want to, i.e.; NOT trying to 'heel and toe') depending on just how wide a shoe I am wearing at the time.

This motivates me to wear my narrow, rounded heel, Oakley 'driving style' (shaped like race shoes, but not Nomex/etc. material) over wider NB running style shoes or such.

I will NEVER wear work, or snow boots (or even my Tony Lamas) when driving, since they just KILL ALL pedal feel whatsoever, and I don't consider them safe enough to even drive around the corner. ;)

Totally off topic.

I once got out of a ticket due to my size 15s. I was driving a friends 240sx (rwd turbo) and put my big foot in it trying to get a drift and spun the car out, jumping a median into the oncoming lane right in front of a cop.

He pulled me over of course, and was like WTF. I told him I was borrowing the car, hit the brakes, but my big feet made me hit the accelerator at the same time and that spun the car out.

He shined his light into the footwell, saw my skis and said "Wow, yeah. Have a good night, be safe." He even got the second cop on the scene to check out my clown shoes "look at this guys feet!"

Back on topic. You are going to have your toes on the clutch pedal arm if you use the ball of your foot on the pedal. Ain't no thing, the arm will work just as good as the pedal will.

Another vote for a gas pedal spacer I see. By dead pedal modification do you mean you added a dead pedal? I added a dead pedal and have found its not obtrusive at all.

Youre brave I don't even drive my automatic with flip flops on. Driving barefoot is how I learned to drive and I used to have to take my shoes off even for an automatic. It was a tough habit to break and I don't want to start doing that again.

I think spending more time with the car is my solution. And possibly a gas pedal spacer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yes, I added No Pistons dead pedal. Absolutely love the dead pedal and believe this is one of the best modifications done. However, it does make the area down there a little bit more crowded and in my case has caught my shoes while shifting. This is probably the most noticeable with flip flops.

I also lift my foot while using the clutch. You are right about "spending more time with the car" being the solution. It's all about practice. But no one should ever be discourage as Nascar drivers still miss a shift once in awhile (see Pocono race Dale and Kevin) and stall the car at take off. It's about how you react and overcome those situations.

Last edited:
BTW, for those who do not have the gas pedal spacer, it raises the gas pedal ~3/8 to 1/2 inch and allows the pedal to be closer, in plane, with the brake pedal. Also, one of the best modifications you can make. It is not just for heel toe shifting/ braking gains. Very useful for every day driving. I did not think it would make much difference, however I was wrong, it does.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #26
...Recommend keeping foot *completely* off the clutch pedal between shifts. A lot of people inadvertently ride the clutch that way....
Yes! I was taught to not have your foot on/over the clutch unless you are going to use it. That's the reason for the dead-pedal it's somewhere for your left foot to go when not clutching.

I wear a size 13, and never have a problem with the clutch, but I do have a problem with hitting the brake and throttle at the same time (when I DO NOT want to, i.e.; NOT trying to 'heel and toe') depending on just how wide a shoe I am wearing at the time.

This motivates me to wear my narrow, rounded heel, Oakley 'driving style' (shaped like race shoes, but not Nomex/etc. material) over wider NB running style shoes or such.

I will NEVER wear work, or snow boots (or even my Tony Lamas) when driving, since they just KILL ALL pedal feel whatsoever, and I don't consider them safe enough to even drive around the corner. ;)
I really prefer driving in my VANS although I do catch them under the brake pedal every now and then. I have to pay attention to what shoes I wear when driving the EcoBeast. Pedal Feel > fashion.

...Back on topic. You are going to have your toes on the clutch pedal arm if you use the ball of your foot on the pedal. Ain't no thing, the arm will work just as good as the pedal will.
Thanks. It just felt a bit awkward at first. I'm thinking about using clear 'barefoot' skateboard grip tape on the pedal arm but not sure if it's overkill.