Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Technique with Big feet? New Pedals?

HBEcoBeaST

I have a size 12 foot and feel that I can't properly release the clutch without taking my heel completely off the floor and pointing my foot like a ballerina. Otherwise my foot is touching not the pedal, but the pedal arm. In long pointy dress shoes, my bigger Nike's and all my running shoes the car is very hard to drive smoothly. I even stalled yesterday with my new pair of shoes. The pedals can seem a bit close together(gas and brake) and low. I even manage to rub my right foot on the plastic 'dash' above and to the right of the pedals.

Does anyone else with clown feet have the same issues as me? Is there a way I can adjust the pedals? Or do I need to adjust my driving technique? I love this car but it's a little inconvenient only being able to drive it in my VANS. I have to drive my truck when I need to look fancy for work and I'd rather show up in the EcoBeast!

zanethan

I have a size 12 foot and feel that I can't properly release the clutch without taking my heel completely off the floor and pointing my foot like a ballerina. Otherwise my foot is touching not the pedal, but the pedal arm. In long pointy dress shoes, my bigger Nike's and all my running shoes the car is very hard to drive smoothly. I even stalled yesterday with my new pair of shoes. The pedals can seem a bit close together(gas and brake) and low. I even manage to rub my right foot on the plastic 'dash' above and to the right of the pedals.

Does anyone else with clown feet have the same issues as me? Is there a way I can adjust the pedals? Or do I need to adjust my driving technique? I love this car but it's a little inconvenient only being able to drive it in my VANS. I have to drive my truck when I need to look fancy for work and I'd rather show up in the EcoBeast!
I've always clutched by taking my heel off the floor. So I think it's a matter of you need time to adjust your driving style to the car. I have size 13 feet and have never had issues driving the car in any shoes from dress to flip flops.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The only other street-legal manual car I've driven was my old 06 Z06 corvette. The pedals on that were miles apart and much higher up compared to the ST.

Size 13 and you've never gotten your foot stuck or caught on the pedals or other interior plastic? Maybe I just drive like a spazz.

zanethan

Thanks for the input. The only other street-legal manual car I've driven was my old 06 Z06 corvette. The pedals on that were miles apart and much higher up compared to the ST.

Size 13 and you've never gotten your foot stuck or caught on the pedals or other interior plastic? Maybe I just drive like a spazz.
Nope. I haven't had any issues with pedal placement. How long have you been driving manual? That might have something to do with it.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #5
To be honest it's been about 6 years since I've owned a manual car and it was pretty much a 'track special' and the words 'comfortable' or 'smooth' wouldn't be used to describe how it rode or drove. I ride motorcycles both on and off the street currently and understand how to use a clutch. After adjusting to the rev-hang and shift assist of the ST my rev matching is pretty dialed I'm just having some physical comfort/execution issues with actually pressing/lifting the clutch pedal and my right foot feeling wedged-in between the brake and dash plastic.

I will definitely work on my foot technique. I think the corvette made me sloppy. Those pedals were miles apart and I barely had to shift my heel forward and backward for the clutch. In the ST if I did that My foot would mostly be resting on the pedal arm and not the pedal itself.

TBH I'm nitpicking. This car is an almost perfect 9 out of 10. I was just seeing if this is a common problem or unique to my clumsiness.

I wear a 14 wide and don’t have issues with the clutch. My foot rides pretty high on the pedal and it’s mounted at kind of a weird angle to the arm. Sometimes I’m pressing more on the arm although it doesn’t hurt anything. Sometimes my toe catches on the OBD port coming off the clutch.

My problem was the break pedal. My right foot would get caught under the break pedal some times. Adding a 3/8” spacer to the gas pedal really helped.

I have to be careful what shoes I wear, can’t wear boots at all.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Never paid any attention until you said something. [:)]

Clutching is not like gassing. With the clutch, the heel should be off the floor... or at least that's how I've always driven them. Gas, not. With my prior car I'd on very very very rare occasion, typically a panic stop, catch a bit of the gas as I'd brake. Since the clutch is already in, the engine would briefly rev a few thousand RPM; no harm done.

Rare occasion I'd drive an automatic, there has been a couple of times where I'd have a brain fart and my heat-seeking left foot would stab the brake with the speed and force of a clutch pedal. Fortunately no one was behind me in either instance.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #8
... My foot rides pretty high on the pedal and it’s mounted at kind of a weird angle to the arm. Sometimes I’m pressing more on the arm although it doesn’t hurt anything. Sometimes my toe catches on the OBD port coming off the clutch.

My problem was the break pedal. My right foot would get caught under the break pedal some times. Adding a 3/8” spacer to the gas pedal really helped.

I have to be careful what shoes I wear, can’t wear boots at all.
So the spacer really helps your foot not get stuck under the brake pedal? I don't get my foot stuck under the brake as much as i catch the side of my shoe on it. I also have banged my toe on the obd II port but since it's after I've released the clutch it isn't an issue with driving. At size 14 your feet are a bit bigger than mine. If you can do it so can I! It just feels awkward resting my feet not on the pedals, but the pedal arms. I guess I want the car perfectly tailored to my desired foot position.

It's encouraging someone else has to be conscious of their footwear choices. For me VANS, skate shoes and flip flops I catch my foot on the brake. Running shoes and square toe dress shoes/loafers I catch my toe on the dash and really have to make like a ballerina and point my toes for the clutch. Chicks dig calf muscles anyways.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #9
Never paid any attention until you said something. [:)]

Clutching is not like gassing. With the clutch, the heel should be off the floor... or at least that's how I've always driven them. Gas, not. With my prior car I'd on very very very rare occasion, typically a panic stop, catch a bit of the gas as I'd brake. Since the clutch is already in, the engine would briefly rev a few thousand RPM; no harm done.

Rare occasion I'd drive an automatic, there has been a couple of times where I'd have a brain fart and my heat-seeking left foot would stab the brake with the speed and force of a clutch pedal. Fortunately no one was behind me in either instance.
The advice is much appreciated. I needed to hear that my heel should be completely off the floor. I will just have to get used to the awkward ballerina pose.

I've briefly experienced my foot touching the gas while braking but it was the edge of my shoe and the throttle barely blipped. The problem I have with my right foot catching under the brake is that it slows my foot to the brake a fraction of a second. Not much, but it isn't confidence building when you're trying to stop.

The funny thing is these minor quirks only arise when driving slowly. During ''spirited'' driving they completely disappear.

I am a bigger guy with large feet and have the same issues, but with time have grown more accustomed to the brake, clutch and gas pedal layout. I also wear flip flops a lot and this exaggerates the situation.

I added the gas pedal modification, which raises the gas pedal position, and this has made a huge difference for the gas pedal side of the footwell. I also made the dead pedal modification and I think that hurt the clutch side of the foot well. With that said, i think the dead pedal modification is one of the best mods I did and would never change it back.

Not that I am advocating this for everyone, but I often times slip my shoes off and drive bare or sock footed.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #12
Another vote for a gas pedal spacer I see. By dead pedal modification do you mean you added a dead pedal? I added a dead pedal and have found its not obtrusive at all.

Youre brave I don't even drive my automatic with flip flops on. Driving barefoot is how I learned to drive and I used to have to take my shoes off even for an automatic. It was a tough habit to break and I don't want to start doing that again.

I think spending more time with the car is my solution. And possibly a gas pedal spacer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have size 12 as well and drive in dress shoes, boots, and sneakers w/o issue. When clutching out in first gear I keep my heel grounded until I'm going quick enough (like 5 mph) to completely release the clutch. After that I ground my heel and rest the ball of my boot on the clutch until i'm ready to shift.

My foot is also elevated off the ground when engaging/disengaging clutch. I think there's a lot more control to be had that way. Only foot that is resting on the ground is right foot for the gas pedal, when appropriate.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #16
I'm much more comfortable now with my heel off the ground and partially on the clutch arm when 'clutching'. I just needed some reassurance that others are doing the same thing.

I'm going to try a gas pedal spacer since they seem cheap and easy to install. The shop I'm going to carries the Active Shift Designs spacer and I'll get it when I get my Cobb RMM.

I wish the pedals were straight ahead while seated instead of offset I always feel the need to swivel my hips. I experience my foot being on the clutch pedal arm as well at times I'm a size 12 shoe also.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #18
I wish the pedals were straight ahead while seated instead of offset I always feel the need to swivel my hips. I experience my foot being on the clutch pedal arm as well at times I'm a size 12 shoe also.
I understand what you're saying. I think the accelerator pedal spacer will help a bit with the hip shifting. I'm sure factory pedal placement is due to the base fiesta and obviously isn't performance oriented. Kind of like how my drivers seat sits higher than the passenger seat.

I've never considered one cause I like that my right foot can just lay if that makes sense vs having my foot raised to be on the gas pedal. I love everything about the fist but some days I really just can't get comfortable lol. Report back if you get a pedal spacer and your impressions.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Size 13 here... No issues. I place my heel further back from clutch. I drive in Jordans, Vans, New Balance, Nikes, my combat boots, dress shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk