Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lost key fob work-around?

OK, historically I would say, duct tape a spare key to a tie rod end or something - just in case I LOSE my keys. On the Fiesta, you're kinda screwed. But could I take the key out of the extra fob and hide it on the tie rod etc., on the outside. Then remove the battery from it and hide it well inside the car. Without the battery, I'm thinking the locking process would NOT disable the hidden fob?

So you come to the car sans fob, crawl under for the key, unlock the door, and use the battery-less hidden fob held against the steering column to start her up and make your get-away.

Am I understanding this - will it even work - or is there a better way, versus calling AAA.

zanethan

Should work but there are some things to test.

1) make sure the physical key actually unlocks the door. I know that some FoST had mismatched keys at one point.

2)test to make sure that the key doesn't lose its programming if it has lost power for a long period of time. I'm not sure if it will but I'd hate to need it and it no longer be properly paired.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
Yeah, turning that little key seemed hard on the hands. I ended up putting it into the fob for leverage - which is bogus. Might need to hide a lever for it with the key. I need to try it again, but it makes sense that with time, since the key doesn't normally get used, it might get even harder to turn. Your second point is especially good.

Then again, I'm confused as how a fob is "disabled" if locked in the car. When I tried it, that fob indeed wouldn't open/lock the doors, BUT it did let me energize things with the Start button when I held it against the steering column. So if someone saw the fob in the locked car they could break in and drive away (if they knew how this works).

Now I'm not getting the "low battery" message I had been on one fob. Odd. Just trying to not get locked out....