Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Programming a new Intellegent Access Key

Newbie here - I just picked up a 2014 FiST and loving it. Anyway the car only came with one IAK. I just bought 2 used IAKs off eBay. I know I need to go to the dealer to get at least one of them working with the car but according to https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...w-to-program-your-intelligent-access-key.html I can program the 3rd by myself. Just wondering if anyone has been successful doing this? If it won't work I might as well have the dealer program both of them ($79 each).

I think I know the answer to this but is there any way to program a second key using Forscan? Doesn't seem to be anything in the Forscan forums so I'm thinking not. I just ordered a OBD2 adapter and looking forward to playing with Forscan. If it's possible I'll wait but if not I need to get to the dealer ASAP - having only one working key is making me really nervous.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Seijou but I'm hoping someone can actually confirm they've had success doing that.

Thanks Seijou but I'm hoping someone can actually confirm they've had success doing that.
Sorry I completely misunderstood.

When I had mine program (only had 1 key as well), the charge for the programming was a flat rate. It didn't matter if multiple keys where present (they would have done all of them for the the same price -- actually, since they had my 'original' and my 'new' they technically programmed two at once). My programming fee was higher than yours, a little above $100. In your situation, it sounds like you need at least 1 programmed no matter what and you're hoping to save the additional $79 by doing the third yourself? I'd also consider finding a different dealer to program both of your new keys at once for a flat rate.

I was researching this myself a few months back. As far as I could determine, the keys need to be programmed by a dealer or by a locksmith with the proper ($$$) equipment. Nothing I found suggested that someone was able to program a third key themselves. $80 to program a freaking key is a rip-off, imo.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I actually specifically asked the service counter guy if they would program the 2nd of 2 keys for a lesser amount because they had done all the setup already for the 1st key - he gave me a line of BS about them having to start from scratch again on the 2nd key and that it was double the work. I've never trusted my hometown dealer but the next nearest is 50 miles away. I'd really like to deny them that 2nd $79 just on principle so would love to figure out a way to do the 3rd one myself (or both if Forscan can help me do it). I still need to call around the locksmiths in town to see if any of them can do it.

I still need to call around the locksmiths in town to see if any of them can do it.
I think I would have gone the same route, but I heard some horror stories about the locksmiths not being able to program the keys appropriately.

And I hear you about the dealership. Pretty sure they're pulling your string tho. If anything, it should be that they charge you 2x cut fee and 1x programming fee (for all 3 keys including your original)... but not 2x cut fee and 2x programming fee (which is the $79/per you were quoted).
Anyways, best of luck! Hope someone can confirm the self-programming of 3rd key for you.

Zormecteon

being able to program the third one yourself isn't available on 2014s. 2016s and up can be done that way as I understand it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you just picked up the 2014 from an auto dealer, convince them to handle the ins and outs (including cost) of programming the additional key. You can throw in the fact that you have a third key, at some later time that is more convenient... like as you're handing over the first two. [;)]

OP
S
Thread Starter #10
being able to program the third one yourself isn't available on 2014s. 2016s and up can be done that way as I understand it.
I just verified what Zormecteon said - the instructions Ford gives do not work on my 2014. I was able to get a second working key though - the used car dealer I bought the car from tracked down the 2nd original key. I tried the programing instructions to program a 3rd key and got nothing.

I've also tried to program another key using FORScan with absolutely no luck - The PATS programming has a timed security feature - it takes like 12 minutes to go through the process. I only tried it once but the ignition times out after maybe 10 minutes and interrupts the process. I'll likely try again this weekend and hopefully figure out a way to keep the ignition on for enough time to get through the process. I'm thinking that you should be able to adjust the ignition timeout period with FORScan but I'm not getting any help on the FORScan forum to figure that out. I might try hitting some "buttons" on the mytouch screen to keep the ignition on but not sure if that will do it or not? If anyone has any ideas or insight I'd love to hear it.

from my experiences with the PATs systems, a snap on scanner should be able to program the keys, theres a 10 min wait time between each key but i know on older fords they had access, ill check with my scan tool tomorrow and if thats the case any local shop with a snap on scan tool can do it