Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST vs Mx-5.

Zormecteon

I just purchased a 2015 MX-5 (Miata). No fret, I kept the FiST. ... The Miata has the auto with paddle shifters ,leather heated seats, all the options.. Power Hard Top.

The Fist is quicker. (the Miata has 167 hp/2500+ lbs.) The Fist Seats are more comfortable. The Fist handling is just as good but it's a difference of front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive dynamics. The fuel economy is about the same, but again the FiST wins. Driving the M home, cruising at 65-> 70 mph, I would go to pass, put my foot into it, and before you know it I would be going 75-> 77 mph. If I had done that in the F it would have been 85+. Part of that slow response of the M is the slush box I'm sure, but not all of it. The stereo is the M is definitely better, AND the top goes down.

It's not so say that the MX-5 is a bad car. It's not. In fact it's fantastic. Sporty, good looking, more than enough power (too much is never enough).. good economy, fun to drive..... It's just that the FiST is sooooooo good, it's hard to measure up against it.

My 2¢

Congrats on the new ride! The Miata is a great looking car and I'd imagine it's a ton of fun to drive.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Did you purposely seek out a slushbox model, or was it just circumstance/opportunity/'the deal' which dictated that choice?

OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #4
Did you purposely seek out a slushbox model, or was it just circumstance/opportunity/'the deal' which dictated that choice?
I originally had my mind set on the manual. But last month I drove a (rented) Mustang that had paddle shifters. It seemed like the best of both worlds. That plus I have arthritis in my left knee. It doesn't bother me now, but in 5 years it could get worse, and if all I have is stick shift cars, that could be a problem, so I changed my search parameters. I turned down a 2013 that had less than 1300--that's right, no error, 1300 miles but a 6 speed manual. The one I got has 14000, but still has the factory warranty.

A few tweaks, and that Miata will outhandle the FiST by a huge amount. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the handling of my FiST compared to my lightly modded NC Miata.

-Rob

OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #6
A few tweaks, and that Miata will outhandle the FiST by a huge amount.
-Rob
WoWZa... The FiST already corners better than I have the guts to use (on the road) I don't and won't be tracking either car, so obviously the limits of both cars are already beyond my capabilities. I must say the Mazda rides much better than the FiST, handling the bumps with compliance rather than brute force... Now, those hard hard seats...... .... my arse hurts!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A few tweaks, and that Miata will outhandle the FiST by a huge amount. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the handling of my FiST compared to my lightly modded NC Miata.

-Rob
It's asking A LOT for a FWD, rear beam axle, high cg, taller, longer wheelbase, NOT 50/50 weight distribution car to out-handle an IRS RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, MUCH lower cg/better instant center SPORTS CAR!! [nono]

It is almost a miracle that our cars do as well as they do given the setup of the platform. [wink]

It's asking A LOT for a FWD, rear beam axle, high cg, taller, longer wheelbase, NOT 50/50 weight distribution car to out-handle an IRS RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, MUCH lower cg/better instant center SPORTS CAR!! [nono]

It is almost a miracle that our cars do as well as they do given the setup of the platform. [wink]
Very true, and the handling is why I now own a FiST! The Miata is an incredible car, but the lack of a back seat is no longer tolerable. The FiST seemed like it would be a good replacement.

Cornering in a nicely setup Miata is a great experience. My car had zero body roll, razor sharp turn-in and would take corners without drama. I feel like the FiST is going to topple over every time I push it in the twisties. I hope that feeling goes away, but after a few years in the Miata, it'll take some getting used to.

-Rob

Business6

Great looking NC2!

It takes time to adjust to the center of gravity. I feel a lot more comfortable with it just after a month of driving, though. One thing that seems to have helped me is watching the capabilities of it with autocross and track videos and seeing people really push the car.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member

My FiST was much quicker off the line and sometimes I do miss the lower rpm torquey boost...My '17 MX-5 RF GT MT is absolutely a blast to drive, particularly in the turns, and is extremely nimble and tossable...I also like it's low center of gravity and 50/50 weight distribution and it's nice to have a RWD drive vehicle again which all add to a more engaged experience with respect to cornering and handling...The cockpit reminds me of some Vettes I've owned in the past where you sit very low to the ground which is a much different driving experience than my FiST where you sit up quite high....

I love the linear response the Skyactive 2.0L NA engine produces and it's RWD manual transmission...I also flashed the RF's ECU with an OTS stg 1 tune from OpenFlashTuning which added some much needed low and midband torque and ~15hp...Interesting to note I get close to the same fuel economy with the RF that I did with the ST (29mpg city / 34mpg hwy)

Here are a few things I've done already...what a fun lil' sports car this is...

- Raceseng Shift Knob
- AntennaX
- Window Tint 30%
- Quilted Leather Floor Mats
- Sound Tube Deleted
- Cobalt Axleback
- JBR Intake and Filter
- Open Flash Stg 1 Tune
- Precision Re-Alignment
- Integral Kobe Rear Ducktail Spoiler

2017 MX-5 RF GT MT

Raceseng Shift Knob:

Cobalt Axleback:

Quilted Leather Flooring:

New Spoiler Installed:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Very true, and the handling is why I now own a FiST! The Miata is an incredible car, but the lack of a back seat is no longer tolerable. The FiST seemed like it would be a good replacement.

Cornering in a nicely setup Miata is a great experience. My car had zero body roll, razor sharp turn-in and would take corners without drama. I feel like the FiST is going to topple over every time I push it in the twisties. I hope that feeling goes away, but after a few years in the Miata, it'll take some getting used to.

-Rob
Same here, since I came from a 4th gen LS1 f body (Z28) manual, and albeit not as; 50/50, LIGHT, and 'tossable' as the Miatas, it DID feel planted, and very stable (and sticky with the correct tires/suspension, which I had) around sweepers, and as quick reacting on turn-in, and also as 'tossable' as a somewhat large, 3200 lb. (full DELETE/NO option car, with MUCH weight {A/C system, full rear seats, etc.} pulled out of it) sport coupe can possibly feel.

I will also admit that I DO miss that LS1 INSTANT punch, which starts low in the rev range, and does not die out/keeps pulling until one surpasses 6400 revs (stock engine with 3.73 axle ratio).
Power slides, throttle induced rear rotation at will, and being able to light up the rear tires at any speed also was fun.
It was definitely NOT a 'momentum car'. LOL

I am STILL getting used to how high up one sits in this car (feels almost like a CUV to me!), and how much taller, and 'top heavy' this car feels to me, vs. most others on here who came directly from FWD hot hatches/'sport compacts', and are used to this, and feel that this car sits low (and that they sit low in IT).

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
^^^Almost reminds me of a (modern day, very updated, 4 banger) sleeker Cheetah. [thumb]

That floor/interior treatment is exotic/Ferrari-like. [cool]
The RF does have quite an exotic look to it....Not uncommon for someone to come up to me in parking lot and ask what car this is and tell me how they love the design and I often get waves and thumbs up on the hwy from other sport car owners...I'm still trying to get used to all the attention the RF receives from others...On the other hand, my FiST never got any attention, but I still loved it!

I think the quilted floor mats compliment the RF's exotic look and was fairly easy to install and the quilting matches the Soul Red paint perfectly...It does remind me of a high end exotic sport car interior...

Last edited:
OP
Zormecteon

Zormecteon

Thread Starter #15
Nice ... really nice. I looked at the new ones but I wanted the rear deck to go flat. The flying buttress, to me at least, makes the car a Targa Top, not a Convertible with the top down. I haven't looked into mods, but a flash tune could be in the works (for that low end power), and perhaps a front tower brace.

I keep seeing references like NA, NB, etc.. what do those mean and where to find the references?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Nice ... really nice. I looked at the new ones but I wanted the rear deck to go flat. The flying buttress, to me at least, makes the car a Targa Top, not a Convertible with the top down. I haven't looked into mods, but a flash tune could be in the works (for that low end power), and perhaps a front tower brace.

I keep seeing references like NA, NB, etc.. what do those mean and where to find the references?
Yes, I agree the RF is more along the line of a targa top, bit still classified as a convertible...Actually I would prefer if the RF was fixed roof coupe... For me the retractable top is just an added bonus...

NA, NB, NC, ND refer to each of the MX-5 model redesign / revisions....The current MX-5 is an ND...

Not sure if your a member of the miata.net forum but there is quite bit of great info shared on this forum...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Also I've added some upgrades and customizations to the MX-5 infotainment system with a tweak App which is available...

MZD-AIO-TI All-in-one

Here's a current list of tweaks and changes I've made to my infotainment system...

• New Smooth Red 1.1 Theme
  • Added new background image
  • Enabled Touchscreen While Moving
  • Shorter Delay between pages
  • Pause Music on Mute
  • Bigger Album Art
  • Status Bar Tweaks
  • Improved List Loop
  • Disclaimer Disabled
  • Order of Audio Source List Changed
  • Boot Animation Disabled
  • Background behind Buttons Removed
  • USB Audio Mod

not knocking you on your opinions of the miata but.. miatas should not be judged in straight line performance.. take that on a canyon and itll embarrass the fist

zanethan

I love the looks and idea of the RF, I just wish I could fit into one... you short people get to have all the fun!

However, I do have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of the Mazda steering wheel.