Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice for autox HS shocks. Can only find rear Koni yellows....

I can't find a solid consensus on whether I can use front Koni yellows from a standard fiesta on the ST model. And why the heck doesn't Koni offer these.

So I'm wondering if I should use the standard fiesta yellows and do the zip tie fix or go with another brand. Any advice greatly appricimated.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
https://www.brothersperformance.com...stable-2014-15-fiesta-st-8741-1565lsport.html

I found these after some searching but the Koni website doesn't even have front shocks the the st...
It's not going to help you any for this season, but their product development people told me that there IS a full-on, FiST compliant/focused version yellow front Sport damper "in the pipeline" for future production.

But of course, just like everything else, we must wait and be pushed to the back of the line by all of the more 'popular' performance platforms out there (including ones just coming on the market now) for Sport releases. [mad]

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=41

These are the droids you're seeking.
They've been out for a while, but it seems nobody knows of them or has updated lists to include them. I've got a pair on my car currently, and found the only "quirk" to them is making the adjusters accessable. I ended up drilling a hole through the cowl to gain easy access to them, and have rubber plugs to fill those holes when I'm not adjusting them.

That out in the open, that is THE ONLY downside to running these shocks on our platform. IMO, they ride much better then the stock shocks, and with the adjustment range off the shelf, they can adapt to however you care to drive them.

OP
tiggerbren
Thread Starter #5

They've been out for a while, but it seems nobody knows of them or has updated lists to include them. I've got a pair on my car currently, and found the only "quirk" to them is making the adjusters accessable. I ended up drilling a hole through the cowl to gain easy access to them, and have rubber plugs to fill those holes when I'm not adjusting them.

That out in the open, that is THE ONLY downside to running these shocks on our platform. IMO, they ride much better then the stock shocks, and with the adjustment range off the shelf, they can adapt to however you care to drive them.
Thanks! I do believe I'll try these out!

OP
tiggerbren
Thread Starter #7

These are the same yellows that are sold for the Fiesta sedan. Sounds like I should only need to zip tie the abs line, if that. I'll try to document the installation since there seems to be confusion over the compatibility with STs. Really looking forward to getting these in and aligned.

But of course, just like everything else, we must wait and be pushed to the back of the line by all of the more 'popular' performance platforms out there (including ones just coming on the market now) for Sport releases.

I sure hope they're not working on performance shocks for CUV's and SuV's. If so we'll never see the ST struts

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
But of course, just like everything else, we must wait and be pushed to the back of the line by all of the more 'popular' performance platforms out there (including ones just coming on the market now) for Sport releases.

I sure hope they're not working on performance shocks for CUV's and SuV's. If so we'll never see the ST struts
Even if not, think of all of the newest/latest gen; Miatas/MX-5s, performance Honduhs, and musclecars in line in front of US. [:(] [mad]

Even if not, think of all of the newest/latest gen; Miatas/MX-5s, performance Honduhs, and musclecars in line in front of US. [:(] [mad]
Not much actually, since they're already out. It's just on Koni-NA and their distributors to actually market and make the parts more known and accessable than they currently are.

And for 90% of cars that will be "enthusiast cars" from the showroom floor, or platforms that share shock dimensions, they usually are into R&D before the platform is even available to the public(i.e. they had shocks for the ND miata before the car was available to order from Mazda).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not much actually, since they're already out. It's just on Koni-NA and their distributors to actually market and make the parts more known and accessable than they currently are.

And for 90% of cars that will be "enthusiast cars" from the showroom floor, or platforms that share shock dimensions, they usually are into R&D before the platform is even available to the public(i.e. they had shocks for the ND miata before the car was available to order from Mazda).
THANKS for this info, and VERY glad to hear that I am dead wrong on this topic! [thumb]

I guess I interpreted way too much when the Koni rep told me "in the pipeline", and I took for granted that meant, "as soon as we get to EVERYTHING else out there" like Tomei, Ground Control, and all of the other vendors who promised us parts, but just kept on leapfrogging EVERY platform ahead of ours.

Kazz

If Koni's working on ST-specific versions of their yellows, I'll assume their also working on ST-specific STR.Ts. Or, at least, I'll hope. I mounted the rears a couple of thousand miles ago and am very happy. No autocrosses in this car yet, though.

The Koni sport dampers for the basic Fiesta and ST version are the same. They could not claim an ST fitment because of the mass damper on the ST that didn't​ have a mounting tab on the Koni front struts. These are a wonderful addition to the Fiesta.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Koni sport dampers for the basic Fiesta and ST version are the same. They could not claim an ST fitment because of the mass damper on the ST that didn't​ have a mounting tab on the Koni front struts. These are a wonderful addition to the Fiesta.
Ironically, I jettisoned those things off of my factory struts after 3 months of ownership. ;)

The Koni techs were telling me that the inside 'floor' (or maybe it was a spacer/large isolation ring?) of the front strut's bottom spring seat is slightly different between the ST, and base Fiestas, not quite sure what he meant by that. [dunno]

Kazz

I was of the impression that the rears were different between Fiesta models, but the fronts were not?

There will probably not be a Fiesta ST specific Koni sport developed. There's not enough differences​ to make it worth doing.

OP
tiggerbren
Thread Starter #19
I expected more issues with installation but it was a little easier than expected. A lot of my time was spent watching install videos and making sure the first side was right, then the other side went quickly. Probably took me about six hours to do front and rear but I could cut that in half if I had to do it again.

I'm liking the handling through street corners with full stiff in the back and very loose in front. The twitchiness while straight driving bugs me a little but I'm also at roughly 2.5 degrees camber in the front. I'm getting it aligned to max factory specs tomorrow so I suspect that might help with the jumpy feeling.

On Saturday and Sunday I'm attending the Evo AutoX school which should really give me an opportunity to see what the shocks do. Even more excited about our next events in two weeks. I wanna see if I can beat the other Fiesta that inspired me to get these shocks. All I need is another second. Between two days of school and these shocks/alignment I think there's a good chance.

Will keep you all posted.

There will probably not be a Fiesta ST specific Koni sport developed. There's not enough differences​ to make it worth doing.
These are both true. And chatting with Lee from Koni-NA, the standard Fiesta sports are more than adequate for the FiST application, the only difference being the mass damper attachment.
the rears are different due to the valving between them. You could still use a standard Fiesta shock on the FiST if you didn't need all the rebound adjustment that the FiST (which is noticable and needed, IMO for a car that sees the cones or the track).