Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are you guys using the "rev match" feature when upshifting?

I'm not sure if this is a common thing on modern manual cars, but I noticed that if you hold in the clutch, the revs will drop to the ideal position for the next gear. This means you get a perfectly smooth shift that won't create any wear on the transmission. On the downside, rev hang means you're waiting quite awhile if your going from 1st to 2nd/2nd to 3rd, so you accelerate pretty slow.

Do you guys use this feature while driving casually, or do you shift at your own pace?

Zormecteon

I believe the function is called "Shift Assist".... After a while you won't even have to watch the tach, it'll come naturally. ... I didn't even notice it for the first year and a half. I just thought I was that good at shifting.. that it catching it at the correct rpm.. it was then I noticed what is also called "Rev Hang".

I think most tunes get rid of shift assist. It is noticeably not there in the tune I use as if I am too slow with my shift (rare) I can feel the engine try to catch up. In any case, it's not a problem to have it on and can make shifting smoother when driving around town. Rev hang is something different and can make shifting rougher. This is the phenomenon where the revs will not start dropping right away when you lift off the pedal to shift. I think it is programmed to do this by the ECU as slamming the throttle shut can result in poor combustion and thus dirty emissions. I believe it can also be adjusted with a tune.

Huh, I had no idea this was a thing but it is. I think I'd rather dump this and the stupid rev hang and just have a normal shifting car. =)

Didn't know the FIST had that. Never noticed it but maybe the Cobb tune deletes it?

The new Camaro SS I drove recently had it, switchable by two paddles where shift paddles would be I'd imagine if the car were an automatic. I got tired of it instantly. At parking lot speeds, the revs kept bouncing back and forth, anticipating that I would be shifting.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I believe the rev hang is caused by the flywheel. I did not notice the rev match but maybe because I usually try to match it myself. My last car was very sensitive to unmatched revs so it was fairly a habit by the time I got this one.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Kazz

From what I've read, I don't think we have shift-assist, only the rev-hang for fuel economy purposes.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My 2017 has the shift assist and it drives me nuts. It's great for n00bs but terrible if you like to skip gears. I had it disabled with my Mountune map.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rev hang in modern cars is largely for emissions as I've been told. Keeping the revs up a bit when the throttle is closed completes the burn of fuel rather than dumping it into the exhaust, where it creates bad stuff.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Uh, not in the FiST. It's specifically to rev match on the upshifts, for smoother shifting for grandpas that take 5 seconds to shift.

haste

1000 Post Club
Shift-assist is definitely a "feature" and not due to the flywheel or emissions...

Personally, I like it. I don't drive my FiST like I stole it ALL the time so it is nice to have super smooth shifts, especially considering my wife uses it as a daily. I've had plenty of passengers comment on how they've never ridden in a manual car that is so smooth during acceleration. When I do drive the FiST like I stole it, the shift-assist doesn't interfere with my intentions.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Shift-assist is definitely a "feature" and not due to the flywheel or emissions...

Personally, I like it. I don't drive my FiST like I stole it ALL the time so it is nice to have super smooth shifts, especially considering my wife uses it as a daily. I've had plenty of passengers comment on how they've never ridden in a manual car that is so smooth during acceleration. When I do drive the FiST like I stole it, the shift-assist doesn't interfere with my intentions.
You're right , we do have it. I had thought we didn't, but I stand corrected, and it's always good to learn something new about your car. I was looking at Mountune tunes and as stated above, a Mountune tune can disable it, so there must be something to disable.

So... you're telling me this thing I didn't know we had is making me a better driver than I thought I was? I'm crushed ☹️

Whatever it is, it's shit for the 1-2 shift. When shifting around 3k, the sweet spot is ~1.5k revs and it takes around 2 seconds to drop down there.

Ford Community Posts