Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

System upgrade on a budget

OK, my subwoofer upgrade on a budget project is complete and rather than continue that thread off-topic I am going to start this thread for the rest of the system.

Adding the sub to my car improved the listening experience greatly but also just calls attention to how lackluster the rest of the system is. It also awakened some of the audiophile/competitor that had gone dormant in me over the last 15 years of making due with stock stereos. I used to compete and SQ judge on the IASCA circuit in the mid to late 90's. I took trophies in Novice 151-300 class, built crazy systems, had sponsorships from Esoteric/Streetwires and Oz Audio, and used to seriously just hang out at a couple of local shops almost every day in my spare time. Then I went to college and was poor and just got used to not having nice systems. I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know and the industry has evolved without me. I'm at a point now where I have some money to spend on improvements but I'm not planning on competing again and I don't want to end up sleeping on the couch for investing a bunch of money into my car, something the wife has zero concept of ;)

So, continuing my "on a budget theme" this is going to be a bang for the buck upgrade that's approachable for just about anyone. As with my subwoofer project, you can learn from my mistakes, follow the inevitable evolution, give input, ask questions, etc. *Zen voice* It's going to be about the journey. I apologize in advance for my future streams of consciousness, over thinking, backtracking and other annoyances.

So here's my plan, which has already changed over the last couple days and will surely change more:

1. Remedy the stock signal issues - The stock stereo employs a bunch of hidden DSP with frequency limiting and time adjustment (see antarctic24's awesome system tuning thread to learn all about this nonsense). I was considering getting the JL Audio Fix82 to correct all the factory DSP. At $329 it's not cheap but it'd absolutely be worth every penny. However, there's a FORSCAN hack (see chicagoslick's LC2i thread) which will let you bypass the stock stereo DSP for free (minus the few bucks for a dongle). Boom, unadulterated signal, money saved to invest in a line driver and other stuff.

2. Switch out my 2 channel sub amp for a 4 channel amp - I was considering a 6 channel so I could upgrade and run rears but I don't think I need them. There are plenty of arguments for some rear fill but I didn't run any in either of my comp systems (although one was in a truck) and I didn't miss it. I also don't ever have rear passengers who would benefit from them and it will keep the cost and complexity down considerably to not need a larger amp, more or better line converters to maintain fading, and more speakers.

3. Move the tweeters - The stock locations suuuuuuck. Too low, too far back. With simple baffles they can go in the little triangle windows, which coincidentally put them equidistant to most people's ears from the mids in the door (~36"). This will also bring up the staging and improve cross cabin signal. I thought about trying to relocate the mids to the kickpanels but I'm pretty sure there's not enough room for a 6.5. Maybe... I'll leave it as a future consideration. Perhaps a 3 way component system with a 3 or 4 in the kicks, but 3 way sets are far from "budget".

4. Add some better processing - Bass/mid/treble adjustment at the head unit is better than nothing but I want more granular tuning options to get the most from my investment, even if it is "budget".

5. Deaden the doors - I've already done the back half of the car with RAAM Mat and Ensolite. I've been putting off the doors until I had to pull them to do speakers. Less road noise, better midbass response.

My proposed equipment:

Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4.520- I used to compete with all soundstream amps and I have good history with them. This unit is $120 and pushes 4x100 or 2x230. It's not CEA-2006 compliant but it's passed bench dyno tests with flying colors so I'm confident about it. I have considered other Class D amps including the Alpine MRVF300, JL Audio JX400/4D, and Rockford Fosgate Prime R400-4D. All will fit under the driver seat (see my sub thread to see how little space there is to work with) and they vary from 50-75 watts x4, are CEA-2006, and cost around $200. If I was using the onboard crossovers I would go with one of the other 3 because the crossover on the soundstream is not variable and I don't like the 2 LP options, but I am planning on going outboard for processing so I'd rather save the money and have the extra power.

Alpine SPS-610c component speakers - There are lots of good speakers under $150 that will fit in our doors. I listened to about 20 pairs and to my ears these sounded the best untuned, even compared to options 3-4 times the price. Your preferences may vary but to me these were warm and rich sounding without being sharp or boxy. They can be had for $75 a pair and as a bonus the tweeters swivel so I can keep my mounting baffles simple and flat but still aim the tweeters for better axial response.

Processing - This is where things get tricky. For $429 (or over $500 with the optional knob) I can get a JL Audio TWK88. It's a phenomenal unit with ridiculous levels of equalization, time correction, crossover, etc. on all 8 channels and 4v out. Then again, there's the Cadence DSP4.8 for $200, which is very similar in features but has mixed reviews. They're still working out the kinks and it sounds like it can be a crapshoot to get a good one. They also both require laptops to tune which makes on the fly changes all but impossible for difference source material (aside from profile switching via a knob). So then there's the option of a graphic or quasi parametric eq like the clarion EQS755 which would allow for easy tuning on the fly, has up to a 7v line out and, honestly, probably enough channels of tuning for my needs (although I would totally use the extra features of the DSPs if I got one), and costs $65. Decisions, decisions.

So a whole system could be done bare bones for under $250 with an install kit and LLC (Around $400 total if you add the sub I used, an and box materials). Not bad. The processing is the budget wild card.

So there it is. Pick it apart! ;)

Last edited:
OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #2
Update - As I thought my brain went off the rails and I spent many days going down the rabbit hole regarding different ways I could build a 3-way system and make everything potentially a few percent better and hundreds of percents more complicated. I'm back to my above concept with 2 small changes.

Amp - I'm going to get the Soundstream PN5.640D and bridge it to run as a 3 channel. More power for the separates and it will give me the flexibility to do a bi-amped and active front stage in the future if I decide to get complicated down the road. It also has far better built in crossovers for the sub than the PN4.520 and a bass knob.

Signal Processing - I am going to get the PPI E.7 to start. It looks incredible for the money: 7 band sweepable quasi-parametric (no Q) EQ with variable subsonic filter and a 7v line driver. Good flexible tuning without a PC and a strong signal for the amp.

Time to start ordering things!

Update - As I thought my brain went off the rails and I spent many days going down the rabbit hole regarding different ways I could build a 3-way system and make everything potentially a few percent better and hundreds of percents more complicated. I'm back to my above concept with 2 small changes.

Amp - I'm going to get the Soundstream PN5.640D and bridge it to run as a 3 channel. More power for the separates and it will give me the flexibility to do a bi-amped and active front stage in the future if I decide to get complicated down the road. It also has far better built in crossovers for the sub than the PN4.520 and a bass knob.

Signal Processing - I am going to get the PPI E.7 to start. It looks incredible for the money: 7 band sweepable quasi-parametric (no Q) EQ with variable subsonic filter and a 7v line driver. Good flexible tuning without a PC and a strong signal for the amp.

Time to start ordering things!
Sounds like you have your path forward. Best of luck. Do not hesitate to ask questions if you run into an issue.

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #4
Update: Everything is ordered except the PPI. I got the Alpine components already and the speaker pods are complete. I'll post pictures soon. I am working on a crazy geometric box that will get me just enough space for an Alpine SWT-1052 so I can have a 10 for a little more extension. Although, I just did the Forscan DSP bypass and my Fosgate 8 came alive. If I had done that sooner I may have thought twice about the 10. I've come this far, though. The amp should be showing up tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it and the components in by friday. Then I'll just have to follow up with the sound deadening and EQ.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm building a budget system.....but thus while thread went way over my head. Wow

I'm going stock headunit, component Type S in front, regular for the rear. Keeping the tweeters in the stock location for simplicity. Then using my old 4 channel amp to power the speakers and a mono for my sub. I'm still trying to source the different line converters I'll need and that's hurting my head

I tried understanding what your doing and it went in one ear out the other

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #6
I'm building a budget system.....but thus while thread went way over my head. Wow

I'm going stock headunit, component Type S in front, regular for the rear. Keeping the tweeters in the stock location for simplicity. Then using my old 4 channel amp to power the speakers and a mono for my sub. I'm still trying to source the different line converters I'll need and that's hurting my head

I tried understanding what your doing and it went in one ear out the other
Haha. Sorry about that. I never said budget would mean simple. Plus my brain moves at a million miles an hour. I'm basically doing what you are. Components in the front, I'm just moving the tweeters up so my arms don't block them. I'm going to disconnect the rear to keep the sound stage forward and because I don't really ever have passengers and if I do we talk. I could do what I'm doing with a 4 channel amp but I went 5 so I could bridge the front to my components and run the sub off the mono. I am using a single basic ~$10 PAC line converter because I don't need to worry about fading with no rear speakers. You will need 2 or 3 of them or a multi-channel one like an LC7i. I really recommend you do the DAC bypass. It's free and is more intimidating than complicated and your new stuff will still sound bad without a clean signal.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Omg I hate to thread jack but your dropping knowledge on me and far more knowledgeable in this

I was at the stereo shop and he wanted to sale me two or three converters but of course they were like $60 each when online they are like $10 lol

I'm not into getting killed when I can get it online. I'm just unsure what wires to tap if I have a four channel converter and a single RCA one. That's what is hurting my head. I've been debating $500 install to them to get over this headache

Last up is this DAC. What is this?

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #8
Omg I hate to thread jack but your dropping knowledge on me and far more knowledgeable in this

I was at the stereo shop and he wanted to sale me two or three converters but of course they were like $60 each when online they are like $10 lol

I'm not into getting killed when I can get it online. I'm just unsure what wires to tap if I have a four channel converter and a single RCA one. That's what is hurting my head. I've been debating $500 install to them to get over this headache

Last up is this DAC. What is this?
Don't pay. Seriously. Look at my subwoofer install on a budget thread. There's a link in the first post to an excellent DIY install thread. Also, you can get a complete DIY install manual for our car from crutchfield for $10 or free with a purchase of parts. Either show you where to tap in, run wires, etc.

A 4 channel level converter could work just fine. Send two channels to your 4 channel amp, set the rear level using the gain on your amp and call it good. How often do you ever touch the fader in your radio anyway? Then send the other 2 channels to your sub amp.

DSP is a digital signal processor. An EQ on steroids. It's usually anywhere from 10-30 channels of EQ, time correction, multiple active crossovers, etc. You need a computer to tune and program it all, though. Not for beginners.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Oh I know how to do systems . Not to your level, but I've wired systems in every single car I've ever owned. But the one time I used the stock headunit was more simple. I used one converter that tapped into all speaker wires. Brought that RCA to the trunk and then shared with a RCA cable to the sub amp.

For some reason the stereo shop said that is not advised. And ruins quality. So something about two and he told me how to wire it so the fade works and sub and this and that. Defiantly not the same deal

And a free mod....to make sound quality better. But I need computer skills. It sounds cool and all but I've never heard of such a mod lol

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #10
Running off of the stock unit means you have to do a high to low level conversion and you're looking at a maximum of 2v signal under the best circumstances unless you use a line level converter with a line driver in it, like an AudioControl LC2i or similar. Lower line voltage means a quieter signal to the amps which means you need to apply more gain to get the same volume and you run the risk of introducing noise into the signal path at a number of points along the way. Aftermarket head units, at least quality ones, typically have a 5v low level output for clean signal to your amps. Regardless of whether you use an aftermarket HU or the factory one you'll have to run 2 signal cables to have working fade between front and rear. You can split either your fronts or your rears off to the sub amp. I would typically recommend the front because if you adjust your fade I'm presuming you're going to do it with a bias towards the front, which would allow you to run less gain on your sub amp. Personally, if I have ever felt the need to adjust a fader setting in my life I've set it once and never touched it again. You can do that at an amp and save a lot of hassle with finding and tapping into leads and running extra RCAs. Most mono sub amps have an option for a bass knob so you would still have level control over your sub as well. I'm not going to tell you how to build your system, though.

The whole DSP bypass thing was new to me, too. I haven't put aftermarket stuff in a car in many years and not since all the manufacturers switched to big touchscreens and such. Used to be that switching out your head unit was always the first step and it was easy to do because everything was single or double DIN and all you needed was a harness. Now everything is tied into the head unit and it's all molded into the dash and complicated. I had no idea that OEMs were sneaking in DSP curves and such into the radio until I really started researching upgrades for our cars, so don't feel bad.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
The converter for the sub the stereo shop was selling had a bass knob so I could control the sub. The other converter had plugs for 4 RCAs

There is other threads on this forum that I justblesrned ofnthis car we have to tap at the front which does not look fun but no choice.

Oh and when your bored use your computer and come fix do that mod on my car too lol

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #12
Looks like your message got a bit scrambled there. Depending on what you're doing you don't have to tap in at the front. Again, it depends on if you want fading or not.

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #13
Tweeter pods are almost done. I started with a cardboard template and then used 1/2" mdf. Routed down the top and rear edges with a 45 degree chamfer bit so it would inset into the curve on the A-pillar trim. I punched the holes with a 2" hole saw then beveled an inset about 1/4" deep on the back side for the tweeter retaining ring. I got a can of black Krylon textured paint to give them a plastic trim sort of finish but I wasn't feeling it so I got some cheap utility fabric with a texture very similar to what's on the A-pillars. I put that on the wood using 3M Super 77 and then hit it with a light coat of the Krylon. The finish doesn't match exactly but it blends well enough for me.

pod.jpg
pod2.jpg
pod3.jpg
pod4.jpg
pod5.jpg
pod6.jpg
pod7.jpg

This looks good, but a few questions regarding the tweeter panels:

1. Do they stay in place through friction alone? Our cars can be a bit bumpy, so curious to hear if these stay in place in the future (not a huge pain to pop them back in however).

2. Can you see the back side of the tweeter and wiring through the small window from outside of the car? If so, are you planning to correct that somehow?

I am following your build as it follows what I had planned in my head; low budget, decent sound without loss of trunk space.

I've got Polk DB6501's for the front stage, and need to see if I have an amp to power those and bridge rear channels to run an 8" sealed sub below the cargo floor. Also happy to hear the ForScan DSP seems to have cleaned up the signal (it's putting out 4V now, correct?)

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #15
This looks good, but a few questions regarding the tweeter panels:

1. Do they stay in place through friction alone? Our cars can be a bit bumpy, so curious to hear if these stay in place in the future (not a huge pain to pop them back in however).

2. Can you see the back side of the tweeter and wiring through the small window from outside of the car? If so, are you planning to correct that somehow?

I am following your build as it follows what I had planned in my head; low budget, decent sound without loss of trunk space.

I've got Polk DB6501's for the front stage, and need to see if I have an amp to power those and bridge rear channels to run an 8" sealed sub below the cargo floor. Also happy to hear the ForScan DSP seems to have cleaned up the signal (it's putting out 4V now, correct?)
They don't stay in my friction. I still need to figure out how to secure them. I'm thinking velcro around the edges but if need be I can pull the A pillar trim and put a couple of screws in around the edges. I'd rather not leave holes.

The windows need to be blacked out. I'll make an insert for them until I get tint done, then I'll have the tint place black out those windows with like 20%.

I have no idea what the output voltage is. I'm guessing it's still 2v or less because it's still a high level signal. The PPI E.7 has a line driver in it so I'm not too concerned. The clean signal is what I was after. I may be down to try the Forscan high to low level hack but I've yet to find a writeup of how to properly implement it or documenting the results.

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #16
Here is a mockup for the box. It's notched to clear the clip for the floor panel and angled to go around the spare tire. I've calculated that it'll just barely be .45 cubes after spreaker displacement, just enough for the alpine 10's minimum requirements. Some fiberfill should give me a little added extension. The top of the box is actually going to be split level to make sure the sub clears the underside of the lid but maximize volume. The surround and trim ring are really tall. The section by the seat backs is going to be a full 6" tall, the 11 inches on the bumper end is going to be 3/4" lower. I will probably inset the sub 1/4" to be safe as well. It's going to be a pain to build but the most you can get with a square box is about .35 cubes - enough for an 8 but not for a 10. The other option is to mount the sub on the underside of the box on the inside but then if something happens I'll have to destroy the box to replace it.

geobox.jpg

Waterfan

Not sure I would consider that "on a budget", but for sure it sounds awesome (get it? :)

Sweet head's up on that FORSCAN hack (I had missed [MENTION=7548]chicagoslick[/MENTION] 's thread previously)

Here is a mockup for the box. It's notched to clear the clip for the floor panel and angled to go around the spare tire. I've calculated that it'll just barely be .45 cubes after spreaker displacement, just enough for the alpine 10's minimum requirements. Some fiberfill should give me a little added extension. The top of the box is actually going to be split level to make sure the sub clears the underside of the lid but maximize volume. The surround and trim ring are really tall. The section by the seat backs is going to be a full 6" tall, the 11 inches on the bumper end is going to be 3/4" lower. I will probably inset the sub 1/4" to be safe as well. It's going to be a pain to build but the most you can get with a square box is about .35 cubes - enough for an 8 but not for a 10. The other option is to mount the sub on the underside of the box on the inside but then if something happens I'll have to destroy the box to replace it.
Stormy - Could you provide rough dimensions of the base of your sub box? I have not measured clearance below the cargo shelf but was thinking one of these may fit (I'd prefer a 10 but can settle for an 8):

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC 10" 92db 300W (will probably need to purchase an amp to run this one) 18.5" x 12" x 6" (this may not fit the cargo shelf brackets)

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC 8" 86db 150W [this seems to fit the power (for an amp I own) and dimensional criteria] 11.75" x 9.25" x 5.5"

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #19
CHANGE OF PLANS!

Shocking, I know.

I am not going with the Alpine 10. I decided to run the response curves on a number of speakers through the calculator at http://www.mh-audio.nl/FPlot1.asp and I'm very glad I did. The response curve on the 10 was terrible in a sealed box at the size I can spare. Lesson here, just because it will fit doesn't mean it should.

By the numbers in a .45 sealed box:

Fosgate P3SD28 (My current sub) 0db at 53Hz, -3db at 43Hz, -6db at 37Hz, Peak of +1.7db at 73 Hz

Alpine SWD10S2 (The proposed sub) 0db at 70Hz, -3 at 48Hz, -6db at 39, (I didn't bother to look at peak)

Bottom line, even though the 10 would probably have a little more output due to larger cone size the Fosgate plays lower and has a better response curve in my opinion. I ran some other speakers like the Alpine SWR-8D2, Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F and the Morel Primo 804 for comparison. None of them graphed very well except the Kenwood, which turned very similar numbers to the Fosgate.

Last edited:
OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #20
Stormy - Could you provide rough dimensions of the base of your sub box? I have not measured clearance below the cargo shelf but was thinking one of these may fit (I'd prefer a 10 but can settle for an 8):

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC 10" 92db 300W (will probably need to purchase an amp to run this one) 18.5" x 12" x 6" (this may not fit the cargo shelf brackets)

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC 8" 86db 150W [this seems to fit the power (for an amp I own) and dimensional criteria] 11.75" x 9.25" x 5.5"
*edit* I just noticed your dimensions. I looked at the ones in the amazon descriptions and they said 9 inches tall, which is not correct.

The 8 inch box should fit under there. The 10 inch is a little too wide and long. You'll run into the spare on the side and the mounting tab for the deck lid in the back.

Also, since I'm on this kick of running curves, I worked up that TS-SWX2002. It looks like it's stuffed with Pioneer's TS-SW2002D2 shallow mount sub since the type, power rating and sensitivity are all the same. I'm guesstimating the inner volume by the overall dimensions, and assuming the feet are an inch tall. Depending on the thickness of the wood you're looking at .15 to .18 cubic foot, and that's being generous. Using the TS parameters of that speaker at and assuming the best case scenario of .18 cu/ft, that box is basically a midbass. 0db at 72hz, -3db at 62Hz, -6db at 53 Hz, -12db at 40Hz, and peaks at +3db at 101 Hz. At .15 the numbers are even worse, about 3Hz higher across the board.

In comparison, my old Boss CXX8 in a .35 box with polyfill dug deeper (5hz lower than the Pioneer across all the landmarks) and probably played louder and it was $20 plus about $30 in materials to build the enclosure. If you're not comfortable with building your own box I guess the Pioneer is a decent option but if you can DIY it would save you over $100 and get you better bass. Then again, if you can build your own box you can get the same Fosgate that I am running and have far better bass and still be $30-40 below the price of the Pioneer box.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: