Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Old School 87 Buick Stereo Install

Hey guys,

Just thought I would show some pictures of my 87 Buick GN stereo system. I installed it back in the early to mid 90's. I have owned the car since 87 and will never part with it, except to my youngest daughter who has laid claim to it. I was pretty happy with it when I built it and to this day still sounds better and louder than my JL Audio system in my Fist.

The system is comprised of:

Custom amp rack with 3 Rockford Fosgate Punch 150's (1 non HD version and 2 HD versions). Amp rack sits in driver side fender area and each amp drives a specific portion of the car. Amp 1 drives the front 5¼" coaxial door speakers and 3½" coaxial dash speakers. Amp 2 drives the rear 6½" components. Amp 3 drives the 15” subwoofer. (The original installation had coaxials in the dash and components in the doors and rear deck)

Sony Mobile ES Head Unit (CDX-C90) with wireless remote.

Sony Mobile ES 10 Disk Changer.

Sony Mobile ES Pre-Amp 21 Band Equalizer (XDP-210EQ). Mounted behind amp rack.

Custom subwoofer box with 15" subwoofer installed. Fits in shelf area behind seat in trunk.

All of the speakers in the car were originally Sony Mobile ES. Over time, I have had to replace all of them as they have aged and ultimately failed. The dash is now JL Audio 3½" coaxials, front doors are JL Audio 5¼" coaxials, and the rear deck is 6½" Cerwin Vega. The 15" subwoofer was originally from Rockford Fosgate, but is now MTX.

Note:
Check out my build for the Fist and you will see that I have not changed much over the years. Not flashy, but solid installation. All of my installs follow this similar philosophy.

Attachments

Nice setup! Always have loved GNs.
My least favorite part on g-bodies was always the 3.5" speakers in the dash, good thing yours had the concert sound II door panels.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
The pictures of the Punch Amp brings back memories of high school.[thumb]