Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM Brake Pads

Are Motorcraft brake pads the same as the OEM brake pads you can buy at a dealer?

The reason I ask, is that if you go to Fordparts.com and enter your VIN, you will get front and rear brake pads by Ford Parts, available only at the dealer, and Motorcraft parts which you can order online. The part numbers are identical.

For my 2015 FIST, the numbers are;

BRF1494 Front
BRF1444 Rear

These are the dusty, performance pads that came on 2014 and 2015 models. They were superseded by less dusty pads on following years.

I did end up going to Carid.com and ordered the following;

Motorcraft - Standard Premium Ceramic Pads. Direct OEM Replacement

BRF1494 Front
AY1Z-2001-D
SKU 109437898
$53.58

BRF1444
C1BZ-2200-A
SKU 109437897
$45.08

The price was right, but now I'm wondering if I'm actually going to receive the same pads as Ford OEM. Does anyone have any experience with these?

kevinatfms

They are not the factory installed OEM pads. Motorcraft uses the same design/compound so initial bite and high end temp performance should be the same. To get the OEM "off the factory floor" pad you would need the original engineering number to give to the parts counter. It will be different than the Motorcraft pad number and are usually significantly more expensive. They also come in a factory brown box instead of the Motorcraft box.

OP
E
Thread Starter #4
They are not the factory installed OEM pads. Motorcraft uses the same design/compound so initial bite and high end temp performance should be the same. To get the OEM "off the factory floor" pad you would need the original engineering number to give to the parts counter. It will be different than the Motorcraft pad number and are usually significantly more expensive. They also come in a factory brown box instead of the Motorcraft box.
Hmmm, if it's the same design and compound, I would thnk they'd perform the same. Wouldn't they?

OP
E
Thread Starter #5
The newer pads are less dusty? I have a 17 and I would not call them low dust lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you search the forum, there are posts that describe the various pads over the years including a low-dust pad standard with the all-season tire option.

kevinatfms

Hmmm, if it's the same design and compound, I would thnk they'd perform the same. Wouldn't they?
It should be. Its just that they are not made for the OEM factory pulls. They are made for the dealer and end user normally in a different manufacturing plant using the original mix design for the pad compound.

Ask the parts counter for the factory pad part number. They should be able to give you both the Motorcraft part number and the Ford OEM factory pad number. Just expect to pay 2-3 times what the Motorcraft pads cost.

OP
E
Thread Starter #7
To end this thread, I'm just going to say it - the OEM brake pads are really, really good.

They are fully track worthy. Others on the forum have mentioned this too, but it seems that the message has been lost. You really don't need to spend $350 on a set of pads as I did with a set of Porterfield R4's when you can get the factory pads for less than $100 as I just did.

They have great torque, they don't fade, and they're fairly kind on rotors. Our braking problem is that we don't have much mass in the rotors to absorb heat and we don't have good cooling to dissipate that heat. Good ducts, as I had given a link to, hi-temp fluid, and stock pads are all most people will need to have great braking performance in a DE/DD car.

Or, at least that's my experience. What's your experience?

OP
E
Thread Starter #9
You got the factory oem pads? What was the engineering number and how much did they cost?
I talked with my local Ford Dealer parts person. He said the Ford OEM and the Motorcraft pads are the same part number and are identical. The part numbers are below along with Dealer Price for the Ford Part and Carid.com price for Motorcraft.

Front - BRF1494, AY1Z-2001-D, $94.16, $53.58
Rear - BRF1444, C1BZ-2200-A, $72.69, $45.08

I ordered the Motorcraft pads from Carid.com.

Ericr,
So were the BRF1494 / 44 you received from Carid, end up being the same dusty & grabby pad as the OEM? If so, that is what I will order also. I'm not concerned with dusty wheels and I prefer the initial bit of the original pad even at the expense of faster rotor wear.

OP
E
Thread Starter #11
Ericr,
So were the BRF1494 / 44 you received from Carid, end up being the same dusty & grabby pad as the OEM? If so, that is what I will order also. I'm not concerned with dusty wheels and I prefer the initial bit of the original pad even at the expense of faster rotor wear.
Yes, they're identical to the original pads.

Front - BRF1494, AY1Z-2001-D, $94.16, $53.58
Rear - BRF1444, C1BZ-2200-A, $72.69, $45.08

I ordered the Motorcraft pads from Carid.com.
Bought the same from RockAuto for $51.79 / $40.79 USD respectively. Motorcraft; came in plain brown boxes. (Duty-paid to Canada, delivered in 5 business days)

Are Motorcraft brake pads the same as the OEM brake pads you can buy at a dealer?
My understanding is, yes. As a general rule of thumb Motorcraft is the OE part supplier for every consumable/wearable part on a Ford/Lincoln. Exceptions include special low volume content like the magneride suspension on the GT350.

Motorcraft is to Ford, like Lemförder is to BMW. haha

Butterybunz

To end this thread, I'm just going to say it - the OEM brake pads are really, really good.

They are fully track worthy. Others on the forum have mentioned this too, but it seems that the message has been lost. You really don't need to spend $350 on a set of pads as I did with a set of Porterfield R4's when you can get the factory pads for less than $100 as I just did.

They have great torque, they don't fade, and they're fairly kind on rotors. Our braking problem is that we don't have much mass in the rotors to absorb heat and we don't have good cooling to dissipate that heat. Good ducts, as I had given a link to, hi-temp fluid, and stock pads are all most people will need to have great braking performance in a DE/DD car.

Or, at least that's my experience. What's your experience?
I'm just going to throw this out there. I agree with you.

I have put over 10 15 minute track sessions, 2 SSS events, 4 autoX events and 8k road miles on my stock pads... They only started to have fade at my last track event after multiple 15 minute track sessions. I plan to run them through the rest of this winter too.

My car is on e30 with an X37 and probably makes around 280whp. I have been very surprised by the stock pads.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I notice this part number: AY1Z-2001-E was labeled as the OEM performance pad. Is this the cause or is the AY1Z-2001-D still the way to go. I want the original dusty grabby pads as well.

DaveG99

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I notice this part number: AY1Z-2001-E was labeled as the OEM performance pad. Is this the cause or is the AY1Z-2001-D still the way to go. I want the original dusty grabby pads as well.
Im curious about this as well as I will be replacing my pads this year at some point.

OP
E
Thread Starter #17
I bought the AY1Z-2001-D and it was the same as what came from the factory on my 2015.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I bought the AY1Z-2001-D and it was the same as what came from the factory on my 2015.
I’ve heard that they’re 2 different types of OEM pads. Less dusty pads if you have the all season tires, and more dusty, grabby pads if your car came equipped with summer tires.

I’m unsure if it is official, or not, but it might be worth looking into???

OP
E
Thread Starter #19
I’ve heard that they’re 2 different types of OEM pads. Less dusty pads if you have the all season tires, and more dusty, grabby pads if your car came equipped with summer tires.

I’m unsure if it is official, or not, but it might be worth looking into???
Yes, I think it would be worthy of being official - the OEM brake pads listed in this thread are great, and they are cheap. I think very few of us have the all-season tire option. For those that do, if someone finds those part numbers, that might be worthy of making official too in its own thread that would be easy to find and reference.