Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Riding shotgun in a Focus RS

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I was sitting shotgun in an RS for the first time this Saturday. The owner bought it for track use. He's an excellent driver; provided a great demonstration I must say. The power is very linear in feel. It was fast, but it didn't feel faster than it is, whereas the FiST feels faster than it is. Excellent handling, and the driver kicked the backend out with precision.

FYI this RS was completely stock for class.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I've owned :

2015 Mustang ecoboost
2016 Fiesta ST
2017 RS
2017 Fiesta ST

By far the best drivers car is the Fiesta ST, hands down
For speed I have to say the ecoboost Mustang is my pick over the RS (same 2.3L) - I'm not a RS hater but for the high price tag you can buy an ecoboost Mustang mod it and literally KILL the RS at the track for the sticker price

This is just my .02 since I've now owned all of them ;)

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I've owned :

2015 Mustang ecoboost
2016 Fiesta ST
2017 RS
2017 Fiesta ST

For speed I have to say the ecoboost Mustang is my pick over the RS (same 2.3L) - I'm not a RS hater but for the high price tag you can buy an ecoboost Mustang mod it and literally KILL the RS at the track for the sticker price

I like your 2 cents.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I've owned :

2015 Mustang ecoboost
2016 Fiesta ST
2017 RS
2017 Fiesta ST

How is the handling on the RS vs the Mustang?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
How is the handling on the RS vs the Mustang?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I don't autoX
The RS is tight and handles quite well but it's not as powerful as I would have thought. Even tuned I'm a little underwhelmed
Where I drive and how I drive I still prefer the Fiesta ST over the RS (plus my butt fits the seats better)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
MOST excellent/informative video (as usual) Brian! [twothumb]

I did not know about the ridiculous turning radius on the RSes, but it is not exactly a 'tiny' car either, and although I like the radius on my FiST, it would NOT be a 'deal killer' on an RS, if I had the coin.

The one I test drove (and stupidly, got so excited to be driving one that I forgot to play with the modes [facepalm]) did ride slightly more roughly than the stock FiST's suspension, but again, even for a 'daily driver', NOT a deal breaker.

To me at least, the biggest reason to buy this car IS very much FOR it's daily driveability, in ALL conditions.

Also, sorry, but being at least as much a Ford RS, Ford WRT/works/WRC 'fanboi' as you are, I would not even think about considering a 'duh Type R against this car (or even a FiST for that matter), no matter how much; cheaper, lighter, better power to weight, tighter turning radius, etc., it may be. [nono]

Does the Mountune RS exhaust system alone (with no tuning mods) give the car more pops and crackles in sport mode than the factory system?

Last edited:
OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
thanks guys,
I am not sure if the Mountune exhaust makes anymore pops or not. I have only had the time in the stock RS as a data point. That will change later this month.

The RS is fast, no doubt about it, but besides the launch control acceleration, it doesn't feel faster than the Fiesta. The speedometer says otherwise, but you are pretty well isolated from the car when inside. The Fiesta isn't like that, it becomes part of you and you feel everything. Compare it to being in a commercial airliner, you know it is fast, but it doesn't feel fast. You are just too isolated. I can't compare the handling yet, but that will happen next. I have a lot of RS content planned with my dad's car including a number of compare and contrast videos. When the RS left for the weekend, I was sad to see it go since I loved all the noise it made, but was happy to still have my ST in the garage.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
thanks guys,
I am not sure if the Mountune exhaust makes anymore pops or not. I have only had the time in the stock RS as a data point. That will change later this month.

The RS is fast, no doubt about it, but besides the launch control acceleration, it doesn't feel faster than the Fiesta. The speedometer says otherwise, but you are pretty well isolated from the car when inside. The Fiesta isn't like that, it becomes part of you and you feel everything. Compare it to being in a commercial airliner, you know it is fast, but it doesn't feel fast. You are just too isolated. I can't compare the handling yet, but that will happen next. I have a lot of RS content planned with my dad's car including a number of compare and contrast videos. When the RS left for the weekend, I was sad to see it go since I loved all the noise it made, but was happy to still have my ST in the garage.
Agree 100%

As far as handling goes, it's flat-out excellent, and to be honest, from what I experienced- I'd say the pilot super sports were it's Achilles heel.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Agree 100%

As far as handling goes, it's flat-out excellent, and to be honest, from what I experienced- I'd say the pilot super sports were it's Achilles heel.
The Super Sports weren't up to the capabilities of the car? I was really impressed with the Pilots, enough that I ordered a set the day after we autocross (Chad autocross, I rode along). While they aren't as grippy as the Cup tires or a serious autocross tire, they did great for a tire that needs to work well on the street in any summer condition. My dad ordered the forged wheels for the RS with the standard Pilots and then bought another set of wheels and tires for the street. In hindsight, we should have gone with the Cup tires since the forged wheels are for track and autocross use.

There is no doubt that the automotive journalists have a different idea of a harsh ride than many of us. Another one of my friends had a twin RS to the one Chad brought on the same weekend. He thought the ride was just terrible and unsuitable for the street. I thought track mode was just about right. There is a huge difference from what one person says is harsh and another thinks is ok. My dad was very worried about the ride since every review says the car is brutal. Compared to his Saleen Mustang, Shelby, my ST, and my Mustang, the ride is very good for a street car. I wouldn't want it any softer.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, the FiST IS a very 'visceral' car, and absolutely feels much faster than it actually is, but just try and imagine (despite all of the naysayers swearing it would be a "pig", and RUIN the whole 'aura'/character of this great little car) what a 300+ AWHP right from the factory FiRS would be like, with launch control, and an even better yet, LIGHTWEIGHT, AWD system than the FoRS!! [ohcrap] [driving]

Hell, IF I had unlimited coin, I would just have Malcolm build me an unrestricted intake, works WRC ride (maybe even sans cage, if that would even be possible), and just slap a wrecked, and bought from salvage FiST's VIN plate on it for registration, and live in a no inspection state!! LOL

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There is no doubt that the automotive journalists have a different idea of a harsh ride than many of us. Another one of my friends had a twin RS to the one Chad brought on the same weekend. He thought the ride was just terrible and unsuitable for the street. I thought track mode was just about right. There is a huge difference from what one person says is harsh and another thinks is ok. My dad was very worried about the ride since every review says the car is brutal. Compared to his Saleen Mustang, Shelby, my ST, and my Mustang, the ride is very good for a street car. I wouldn't want it any softer.
^^^THIS x1000!

I just do not 'get' so many wanting/expecting these types of cars to have a cushy, luxo-yacht like ride, as I want to feel the road as much as I can, and would not want that type of 'ride quality' in ANY car I owned, even if the Bimmer Ms/et al can pull off great handling along with that 'ride'. [nono]

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
The Super Sports weren't up to the capabilities of the car? I was really impressed with the Pilots, enough that I ordered a set the day after we autocross (Chad autocross, I rode along). While they aren't as grippy as the Cup tires or a serious autocross tire, they did great for a tire that needs to work well on the street in any summer condition. My dad ordered the forged wheels for the RS with the standard Pilots and then bought another set of wheels and tires for the street. In hindsight, we should have gone with the Cup tires since the forged wheels are for track and autocross use.

When it comes time to replace the OE potenzas, I'll probably be getting pilot super sports myself. If anything it's a testament of how great the RS corners; the tires gave out before the car did.

I didn't mind the stiff ride at all.

I've owned :

2015 Mustang ecoboost
2016 Fiesta ST
2017 RS
2017 Fiesta ST

but who gets a mustang for the ecoboost? Or for track? That's like putting make up on a pig

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
but who gets a mustang for the ecoboost? Or for track? That's like putting make up on a pig
well my ecoboost was pretty enough to be at Sema even if it was a pig, sooooooooo
I guess your opinion is ok and ask UPR how their ecoboost runs....
[video]https://youtu.be/kc90hh6HWKc[/video]