Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

New Member 5 Rep Points OrangeSpice's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    San Diego
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Koni Orange struts + Cobb springs = Happy Camper!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Replaced (too stiff) Bilstein coilovers with a less expensive but much more compliant, livable setup using Koni orange struts and Cobb lowering springs.

Very happy with results in terms of the ride quality and the "stance" is still rather sporty and attractive.

It's nice to actually have a suspension setup that knows what the word means. There is detectable compression and rebound damping.

Koni STR.Ts (Front part #8750-1101L & #8750-1101R, Rear: 8050-1130)

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    San Diego
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I choose a "bizarre" photo filter effect to highlight where the tire rubber was, otherwise the shadowing made it hard to see the drop.
    and no the wheels are not damaged or scuffed. just that all the brake dust on the black painted wheels really "pops" with this filter.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    San Diego
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

After two days of diverse driving, including enough highway miles to be sure, I can testify with absolute certainty that THIS SETUP ROCKS! :)

What a difference over stock. So much more compliant, the car absorbs bumps with ease without upsetting the line. Car should come with Koni struts as stock.

Vendor Premier Vendor 263 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Fleetwood
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSpice View Post
    After two days of diverse driving, including enough highway miles to be sure, I can testify with absolute certainty that THIS SETUP ROCKS! :)

What a difference over stock. So much more compliant, the car absorbs bumps with ease without upsetting the line. Car should come with Koni struts as stock.
    great to hear
    I just added these bad boys to my site because of your install & review

thanks man
    whoosh motorsports llc
    owner, Ron Miller
    610-334-2158
    http://whooshmotorsports.com

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    San Diego
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Hey Ron, that's wonderful to hear. I wish that I could give everyone a ride along to experience how nice these Koni orange struts behave. Combined with the progressive springs from Cobb (or Eibach) really works fine together. I know it sounds corny, but I find myself occasionally steering TOWARDS a bump to remind me how well they absorb it, whereas I used to drive with one eye looking ahead and the other scanning the immediate road surface trying to navigate around most any undulation like it was a land mine. The difference is night and day! I can't wait for the first customer of yours that makes the purchase and install reports back here about their own experiences.

New Member 12 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    Oaks
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet. thanks for that.. I will be buying this setup soon.

New Member 19 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Baltimore
    State
    MD
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been through a few suspension and wheel setups at this point (bilstein coilovers and mountune springs on OEM dampers) but one thing that has stayed consistent was a certain buzziness transferred through the car. The damping for the large bumps varied quite a bit through these setups but it feels like the car transmits all the small road imperfections up through the steering wheel and interior. Have you noticed any difference with the Konis along these lines?
    '14 Fiesta ST - Bilstein Coilovers (Non-ST), Team Dynamics 16x7 +42 Gloss Bronze, 205/45R16 DZ102, no-pistons pedal spacer, resonator delete, 2J catless downpipe

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    San Diego
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slowpokemd View Post
    I've been through a few suspension and wheel setups at this point (bilstein coilovers and mountune springs on OEM dampers) but one thing that has stayed consistent was a certain buzziness transferred through the car. The damping for the large bumps varied quite a bit through these setups but it feels like the car transmits all the small road imperfections up through the steering wheel and interior. Have you noticed any difference with the Konis along these lines?
    Good question. Again, I would definitely say these Koni orange struts behave much like you would expect a "stock sporty" suspension to be. Meaning very OEM (or better than) with very good supression of NVH effects. Honestly the car is quieter and smoother without being the least bit harsh.

In full disclosure I must report that today while taking a very extreme righthand corner (downhill, negative camber) it loaded up the front left strut enough to hit the bump-stop and make an odd rubbing noise for only an instant. I was able to see some black tire scrub mark-off on the wide base flange (integral to the strut) that is the spring footing. I believe the interior sidewall of the stock tire rubbed momentarily. Again, this was a rather unique street corner going downhill and leaning outward which put maximum compression on the outside front corner. And I was taking it at near limits of adhesion :)

Two possible fixes came to mind: Looking through the rim spokes it seems there is enough "meat" on the spring base plate to be rolled (gently hammered) which would increase the clearance gap. Alternatively I thought about using 10-15mm wheel spacers up from to open the gap. Worth mentioning that the Koni front strut spring bases already come with nicely rolled/radiused edges so there was no risk of tire slash. It was a contact that left a rub-mark on the orange strut about the size of a dime.

Before you freak-out that this means a significant clearance mismatch, I can report that for the rest of today I looked for ways to replicate the incident to no avail. I zig-zagged hard at good speed and nothing. I steered into manhole covers and potholes to jarr hard enough to be a concern but again nothing. So in 99% of driving conditions can safely say it it interference-free.

For how well the car rides now, how it has gained comfort and rid the OEM harshness, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to put this setup on. And of course, its staying on!

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Wichita
    State
    KS
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how these would be with swift springs? I've thought about these or B8's

Member 63 Rep Points

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Ramstein
    Country
    Germany
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I really wish I knew more people that modified their STs so I could try a few different suspension set ups. I'm extremely happy with my MeisterR but I'd like to see what else is out there and how they all feel.
    I almost went the same route as you with the bilstein and then again with koni and lowering springs.
    '16 Kona Blue FiST w/ yellow badges and fiesta badge delete
    Cobb RMM, FMIC, Catted downpipe, Cat-back exhaust
    CP-E intake
    Velossa tech big mouth air ram
    Mountune shift reduction kit
    MeisterR coilovers
    Pierce Motorsports 2 point brace
    Mishimoto OCC
    Bronze 16x7 Team Dynamics prorace 1.2s wrapped in 205/45/16 Hankook Ventus R-S3s
    X-47 tuned by Tune+

Instagram: @ben2mil