Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford GT-40 Racing Book- Back to Le Mans

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
https://www.amazon.com/Return-Glory-Revival-Victory-Toughest/dp/0802126502

I ran across this and thought I'd share it, it's getting really good reviews. For those who don't know the history of the GT-40, it's a great story. Ford was negotiating to buy Ferrari in the 60's, but it fell apart in a way that got Henry Ford II pissed off at Enzo Ferrari. For revenge, he decided to challenge Ferrari in racing, eventually having great success with the GT- 40 and a team that included Dan Gurney. The four wins in a row at the prestigious Le Mans race were especially noteworthy. Le Mans featured the legendary 4 mile long Mulsanne Straight on which speeds have exceeded 250 mph. Personal note- I somehow managed to get credit for a high school term paper on this topic during my early gearhead days, so it'll be fun to revisit the story.

Thanks for the tip! And good on you for parlaying this topic into a school paper. As a self-proclaimed auto historian this is my favorite rivalry and points out what has resulted from spite and anger in the automotive industry. Heck, Ford may not have even struck out on his own had he and Henry Leland not argued over the concept of the Cadillac brand. Ford started his own company in 1903 and here we are.

I'll be getting this book! Also if you have access to Amazon Prime and have not watched "24 Hour War", it's an excellent documentary about Ford vs Ferrari and the development of the GT40.

Also, if you're near LA, this is a good time to visit the Petersen Museum. We have an original GT40, and I love telling the story on tours. The '66 Mark II was the car that finally beat Ferrari at LeMans. Our GT isn't that particular car but it's an original.

In a current Ferrari exhibit, we have the 1965 LM250 which was the last Ferrari to ever win LeMans.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the tip about the film. I watched the trailer, it looks really good. I don't have Prime, but I think you can rent it on You Tube.