Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Budget Summer? Riken Raptor ZR vs. Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 vs. Yokohama S.Drive vs. Kumho Ecsta PS31

17.8k miles and the stock summer Bridgestone tires are worn beyond what a normal person would consider safe. I'm a really busy guy, I commute a lot, I haven't had time to take care of this issue. But when I look to see if I can get my hands on some 205 45r 16 Firehawk Indy 500s, they're sold out everywhere I've looked so far. I can't wait for them to get back in stock, I need tires immediately. Pretty soon I'm going to receive a company vehicle for my job and I just need some tires to get by with until that happens and I can buy nice, expensive summers later on.

So I'm looking at these since they are inexpensive. Does anyone have experience with them?

Riken Raptor RZ

Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

Yokohama S.Drive

Kumho Ecsta PS31

KKaWing

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I had the S-Drives for 4 summers and they were due to be replaced after 3. Trying to get a 4th season out of them was useless. The tread looked good, but they were hard as rocks. I had autocrossed once on them last year and was shocked at how bad they were, tried again a few weeks ago and it felt like I was on ice. Zero grip in the wet as well. I liked them for the first 2 years, but not after that. Horribly noisy, vibrated, no dry grip, and no wet grip. After 18 years of running Yokohama summer tires, I moved to Michelin this past weekend. Much happier with the change.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ehawk-Indy-500?p=242218&viewfull=1#post242218

Forget the wideovals, just get the Indy 500. They're the Bridgestone RE003 that we couldn't get for the longest time. Wonderful summer tire, even MOOG from Mighty Car Mods run them on his WRX.

Edit: Direct Tire Rack link https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R7FHI5XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Oh shit, when did they release these in our stock size? I've been wanting them in 205/45r16 with some new wheels, but they have been sold out for a while. Now that they make a 205/40r17 I may just have to jump on it and stick with my stock wheels (curb rashed as they are).

Last edited:

KKaWing

Oh shit, when did they release these in our stock size? I've been wanting them in 205/45r16 with some new wheels, but they have been sold out for a while. Now that they make a 205/40r17 I may just have to jump on it and stick with my stock wheels (curbed rashed as they are).
I think there was rumbling about it on the forums for the past little while then someone posted in another thread they were available on TR. I was disappointed they stopped the RE760 but seeing they basically replaced it with the Indy 500, all is well and forgiven XD

Another vote for the Indy 500's.
One other choice would be the Conti ExtremeContact Sport (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR7ECSXL&tab=Sizes)

I know they don't make the stock 40-series size, but the 45 should smooth out the ride a bit, and these have been getting great feedback from other autocrossers for great wet capabilities, to go along with the daily-friendly awesomeness that the other extreme contact tires from conti are known for.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I had the S-Drives for 4 summers and they were due to be replaced after 3. Trying to get a 4th season out of them was useless. The tread looked good, but they were hard as rocks. I had autocrossed once on them last year and was shocked at how bad they were, tried again a few weeks ago and it felt like I was on ice. Zero grip in the wet as well. I liked them for the first 2 years, but not after that. Horribly noisy, vibrated, no dry grip, and no wet grip. After 18 years of running Yokohama summer tires, I moved to Michelin this past weekend. Much happier with the change.
PSS in 205/45-17??

codestp202

I also vote Rs-RR's they are like 105 a tire where I'm at

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Oh shit, when did they release these in our stock size? I've been wanting them in 205/45r16 with some new wheels, but they have been sold out for a while. Now that they make a 205/40r17 I may just have to jump on it and stick with my stock wheels (curb rashed as they are).
They just came out at Tire Rack, I had posted it on the thread for the Indy 500's. If you look at the link, they're so new there they don't have all the specs yet.

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #12
Hey guys. I opted out of buying aftermarket wheels and just got stock size Indy 500s. Ride quality is much nicer than the factory tires and they look better too.

The Rikens suck. They have the grip of an A/S tire though they do a nice job of letting you know where that limit is - they're not very high performance. Have good life on em much to my eternal chagrin.

Do the 45 series tires cause any problems with fitment on stock rims? I've been eyeing the Continental extremes but wasn't sure about fitment.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk