Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Purchase MP215 from Ford dealer or Mountune?

So I called my local Ford dealer inquiring about the MP215 kit, which I will plan on purchasing in the very near future. The price he quoted me was $1498.50 CAD. This is roughly $100 more than if I were to buy directly from Mountune USA which sells for $1367.69 (rough price after currency exchange to CAD).

So my consumer instict obviously steers me towards buying the kit directly from Mountune to save a bit of cash. However, the dealer mentioned something that has me second-guessing my decision which I haven't been able to find any info on.

Apparently, if purchased directly from Mountune, any warranty claims would have to be made directly with them (which could be difficult due to their location), whereas on the other hand, if purchased from the Ford dealership, warrantly claims would be made to Ford Performance as the kit would be "registered with Ford". These are his words, not mine.

Can anyone shed some light here? My consumer instict senses that this dealer is just trying to get the sale... right? Or do I really have to purchase through them (and install too I guess) in order to make warranty claims less burdensome?

Does this also apply to other warranty-approved parts, such as the Mountune short shifter and the Ford Racing exhaust system? I plan on buying these too at some point.

This is my understanding also. But the dealer also keeps your tuner, which is a PITA. You also have to pay the dealer to install it.

I honestly skipped this and am assembling parts from various vendors. I haven't had any issues so far, and most I've seen is people having to take off some of there mods to get warranty work approved.

And welcome to the Ottawa area :) Join ST's of Ontario on FB. We also meet at Merrivale and Meadowlands on Fridays/Saturdays.

I can attest to this, working for a ford performance dealership. peace of mind goes a long way... im sure tasca would agree.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for your responses, looks like I'll be calling up my local Ford dealer soon and throwing a bunch of money at him!

Bizzareo said:
But the dealer also keeps your tuner, which is a PITA
Wait, do you mean the dealer keeps the handset with the mTune?? WTF?

Bizzareo said:
And welcome to the Ottawa area :) Join ST's of Ontario on FB. We also meet at Merrivale and Meadowlands on Fridays/Saturdays.
Cool! I joined the group last week and I'm actually very close to that area. Next time you have a meet, post in the group and I'll try to make it!

I have this kit and bought from mountune directly and this is not true at all. I have researched this topic lots. Have an email from Ford Racing saying any issues that come up around this kit regardless of where purchased will be covered directly by Ford themselves. Contact Ford Racing and they will tell you the same thing. Of course you do need to have installed by any Ford dealer or red seal certified mechanic then register install with Ford Racing. Think these Ford dealers are say this because they want extra parts sales. I'm located in Prince George, BC and had no issues with this at all. Just read in your original post, about warranty registration part about if a Ford dealer installs it then they register the install for you to Ford Racing. Yes if you didn't register the install you could have issues, but registering is easy. Basically you just email your purchase from mountune and proof of install at Ford dealer send to Ford Racing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have this kit and bought from mountune directly and this is not true at all. I have researched this topic lots. Have an email from Ford Racing saying any issues that come up around this kit regardless of where purchased will be covered directly by Ford themselves. Contact Ford Racing and they will tell you the same thing. Of course you do need to have installed by any Ford dealer or red seal certified mechanic then register install with Ford Racing. Think these Ford dealers are say this because they want extra parts sales. I'm located in Prince George, BC and had no issues with this at all. Just read in your original post, about warranty registration part about if a Ford dealer installs it then they register the install for you to Ford Racing. Yes if you didn't register the install you could have issues, but registering is easy. Basically you just email your purchase from mountune and proof of install at Ford dealer send to Ford Racing.

+1- I have also looked into this quite a bit and it's pretty clear you can buy it either from Mountune or from a Ford dealer. You just have to then have it installed and registered as [MENTION=274]marc89gti[/MENTION] says.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

+1- I have also looked into this quite a bit and it's pretty clear you can buy it either from Mountune or from a Ford dealer. You just have to then have it installed and registered as [MENTION=274]marc89gti[/MENTION] says.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Not true at all as well.

They should install the tune for the warranty claim but it is Ford safe warranty. That said buying from mountune will be more. The shipping is one thing but you will also have to pay duty when you receive it which is going to eat up the $100 delta. Ask me how I know.

All things equal I bought mine from the dealer to include in the financing and had them install the tune. You do get the mtun module that is yours not an install tool only.

Had the MP215 as well. Purchased directly from Mountune and had an ASE certified technician install it for me (it doesn't need to be installed at the dealership). I then went online myself and contacted Ford Performance/Racing and registered the tune. I kept all receipts, copies of ASE certifications, and e-mail transcripts for my records. Haven't had any warranty issues.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Had the MP215 as well. Purchased directly from Mountune and had an ASE certified technician install it for me (it doesn't need to be installed at the dealership). I then went online myself and contacted Ford Performance/Racing and registered the tune. I kept all receipts, copies of ASE certifications, and e-mail transcripts for my records. Haven't had any warranty issues.
Are you going to have it installed on your lemon law replacement '17?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
How much different is the MP215 from stock? Is it fairly noticeable? I'm waiting for Mountune to release it for the 2017, but I'm curious to others experience with it.
It is very noticeable especially in 3rd gear, pulls like a train. As to Mountune doing the 2017, now that they know there will be the same engine for 2018 they may spend the money to get them certified. I wonder what Ford changes in the '17 caused it to not be certifiable? I assume the '18 will be the same. I just don't know if the current price would cover the costs for the '17 and '18 Fed and CARB certifications with sales in the 4500 range per year. What percent will buy the Mountune MP215 when the dealers don't even know about it to try to sell it? If 10% or 900 people buy it how much would the price increase? How would sales be if it costs $500 more than the current price? Is 18 hp worth $1500 plus installation? Time will tell!

How much different is the MP215 from stock? Is it fairly noticeable? I'm waiting for Mountune to release it for the 2017, but I'm curious to others experience with it.
It is certified already. Just had it installed in my 2017 by ASE certified tech and sent the receipts over to Ford performance. It was approved and added to my Vin.

It is certified already. Just had it installed in my 2017 by ASE certified tech and sent the receipts over to Ford performance. It was approved and added to my Vin.

It indeed is. Ford just isn't good with updating the paperwork. I called Ford Performance and mountune to confirm before ordering mine. If you do a search this same question has come up before throughout the years.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
That is good news I am sure for many.......