Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Budget big brake setup.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I know this was done for the older svt Focus, which shares the same 4x108 pattern. And I'm just thinking out loud here. But I'm wondering if we can use their front rotors (300mm) and make up some brackets to run two piston mustang front calipers (they'd be flipped side to side so the bleeders work). You'd be stuck with a 17" wheel being the only downside. Think it would be a worthwhile thing to do? I'm looking at doing brakes next spring. So I figured why not get more performance using things that already exist. With easy to find replacements. Instead of dropping a large amount on a wilwood kit. What do you all think?

IMO just get the Wilwood setup for under $800. 2JRacing sells the kit for the front. Plenty of stopping power.

EDIT: <$1000. The stainless line kit is needed also.

KKaWing

I would be a guinea pig for this kit...what would the USDM rotors be?
I've done the rear upgrade which is underwhelming but maybe the combo of both would be more effective?
I think ST170 focus refers to our SVT focus. You might need to dig a bit to confirm.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Those brackets are an interesting design. It looks like it must pivot the caliper because of the 3 bolts?. I would like to see a photo of it installed.

Brackets, 300mm disc.jpg

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Yes the st170 is the same as our svt focus. That bracket setup sounds like it also uses the svt/st170 caliper, which I wouldn't be opposed to using. The the plan was/ is to keep it under the cost of the big brake kits for sale, and have somewhat close performance.

Ok everything ordered.

Yes the st170 is the same as our svt focus. That bracket setup sounds like it also uses the svt/st170 caliper, which I wouldn't be opposed to using. The the plan was/ is to keep it under the cost of the big brake kits for sale, and have somewhat close performance.
Well I can't imagine we're gonna get big brake performance for <1/3 the price but significant increase over stock would be useful!

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Longer lever arm, and a hope to fit 2 piston calipers up front should give quite the upgrade if I can get it Mathed out. and that's before messing with pad compounds.

Longer lever arm, and a hope to fit 2 piston calipers up front should give quite the upgrade if I can get it Mathed out. and that's before messing with pad compounds.
Ok school me I thought we had two pistons up front with the stock ST?
Is there a specific aftermarket combo you're looking at? Because I'm only seeing single piston stock calipers?

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Adding info

The two piston calipers would be sourced from an older model Ford Mustang. That way replacement parts would be cheap and easy to find. Just need to make brackets, and figure out lines. It will use svt focus 300 mm rotors.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
I feel like it keeps with the roots of the car as well. It's a relatively inexpensive fun machine.

Update: SICO brackets being shipped on Monday. Still trying to confirm if ST calipers can be used or if Mondeo are required...MTC

So the rotors showed up first.
IMG_2855.JPG
I didn't want to go with drilled but that's all rockauto had. I don't put hard breaking on the car so not worried about stress cracks though. The PN is on the box in the pic but these are directional so L & R. (2002-2004 Focus SVT).
Still waiting on SICO to send the brackets and braided lines...

So ROCKAUTO delivers again:
IMG_2918.JPG
With pads installed the rotors actually fit, whew...

IMG_2919.JPG
Hard to get a good pic with depth but there's about 3/8" between edge of pad and rotor with the caliper bottomed out. So as long as the SICO bracket doesn't move the caliper much more than a quarter inch the pads will be centered nicely.

IMG_2921.JPG
Once again PN#s if you're following along.
Just waiting on SICO now...