Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Necessary?

Heya guys,

Massive noob alert prior to posting. In laymans terms, can someone explain to me the function of an oil catch can? Secondly, at moderate upgrade levels, say OUR (Fiesta levels) stage 2 upgrade, would a catch can be necessary or simply beneficial?

Im trying to plan my upgrade path accordingly.

Thanks gents!

FWIW, I have had one on for 18,000km of the total 20,000km that my car has been driven. We scoped one of my valves through the map sensor opening and they were still loaded with carbon deposits.

So yeah. They may help, but they certainly don't eliminate valve coking. I'll try to remember to snap a pic next week before and after I seafoam it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Woods247

2000 Post Club
FWIW, I have had one on for 18,000km of the total 20,000km that my car has been driven. We scoped one of my valves through the map sensor opening and they were still loaded with carbon deposits.

So yeah. They may help, but they certainly don't eliminate valve coking. I'll try to remember to snap a pic next week before and after I seafoam it.

I've heard about the Seafoam stuff but never used it. Looking forward to your before/after pics to see if it's worth it.

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
Thank you gents.

So, the general consensus is that they may reduce the build up of engine crud but will not eliminate it. Things that you can't quantify bother me. :p

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I did it not so much for the prevention of intake valve buildup, but because I figured that oil mist in the combustion chamber cannot be good for the OAR function (or effective octane rating/prevention of detonation in general), and therefore power (which for those of us still on the factory micro snail, every single pony means A LOT!). ;)

Oh anything that it catches is that much less that's going into your intake, but I was definitely shocked by how dirty my valves were after 20k km, when it had a catch can for about 18k of that.

Our shop scope took a shit, so I couldn't get useable pictures to show, but the chunckiness on the valves was visible in person.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Oh anything that it catches is that much less that's going into your intake, but I was definitely shocked by how dirty my valves were after 20k km, when it had a catch can for about 18k of that.

Our shop scope took a shit, so I couldn't get useable pictures to show, but the chunckiness on the valves was visible in person.

Yeah, depending on just how much those 4 injector port aux fuel systems cost to buy, install, and tune, vs. the cost of one walnut shell blasting, some of us even without the fueling needs dictated by a hybrid/BT setup, may be looking at those systems. [:(] ;)

(And yes, I know that even the 4 injector port aux systems are no guarantee of preventing buildup, but they certainly help.)

I think it'll cure most of it. I know it's the biggest reason I'm looking at it, but I'm sketchy about relying on a 3rd party fuel system when I'm pushing my car hard. I just have trust issues lol.