Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Mouth install issue - bumper fitment

Trader history for Fistfan (0)

Hey guys, so we just finished installing the big mouth on Gregs 16 fiesta.

I gave the instructions to one of my guys to ensure that I had no bias in my mind pre-install. So he had no idea what to expect. Here is the result. Installed and put the bumper back on in about 2 hours.

After the install was complete we did not see any bulging of any kind on the outside of the car.

What we did notice:

It turns out during install, he told me that if you dont line up your headlight and bumper correctly (while everything is loose), you will get contact where there shouldnt be. This contact is what causes some people to experience the interference. We went in there, right under the cowl, pulled back to see where the points of contact are. After a few minutes we came to the conclusion that the bumper needs to be seated perfectly with the headlights in place before you start to tighten things down.

At this point, any other manufacturer would just say "it fits" and be done with it. I would like to look at the scan data first before I can 100% confirm this. If I have to make a change, I will, no biggie.

Where I go from here:

I will be taking all the 3D scan data that I have acquired today, and will be doing a geometric interference analysis with the big mouth. I will be 'installing' it in my CAD program. If I see there is no drastic interferences, I will not make any changes, I will just be revising the instruction manual.

Recap, the current big mouth design is what you see in the pictures above installed by someone with basic mechanics experience who has never installed a big mouth before. I will let you guys know what direction we go from here, soon.

Always remember pebcak as the problem, it sounds like you've done your due diligence.

Any chance you'll develop some brake ducts for us, like you have for the FoST?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Always remember pebcak as the problem, it sounds like you've done your due diligence.

Any chance you'll develop some brake ducts for us, like you have for the FoST?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Not sure what pebcak is.

I dont think we are going to do brake cooling soon as we have too many projects going on right now.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Trying to install mine now. I have a Mishimoto radiator and large hands. I must have ten different 10mm wrenches and I can't get a single one on the nut. You absolutely must provide a printed wrench with this. I'd pay $10 fuckin dollars for it to save my hands and time. Walking away now..

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Here's a tip: I dabbed grease on my finger so the nut would "stick" to it. I threaded the nut onto the bolt first try after that.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Like I stated in another post there should be a hole/rubber peice that can be used in the engine side with a regular extension bar to place the nut. I will take a picture this weekend.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Got it. I cut a cheap 10mm wrench in half and stuck 1/2 up there with no problem. I put it in a vise and smacked it with a hammer. It snappped first blow. Felt good too.

From the moment I hang the bumper cover back on the car, there appears to be pressure by that cowl. Everything is more or less aligned once the bumper cover mates back up with the fender. The 3 hidden bolts that get removed from each side of the fenders have alignment pins that guide the bumper cover. Maybe I'm not understanding the instructions to the "tightening in a star pattern" for the bumper that you're talking about. Only when those hidden bolts get tightened down, can you can reinstall the headlights. Otherwise you won't be able to access them.

So are we talking about those (5) 7mm bolts on the bottom of the bumper cover? or the (2) T25 torx / plastic rivet / 7mm bolt in the wheel well?

It's kind of a moot point for me.. since I've already heated the cowl area and reformed the plastic. Curious for others though.

Very cool scans BTW. Looks like you're using a projector and DSLR. What software are you using? I was playing around with Xbox Kinect camera but the resolution was so-so.

From the moment I hang the bumper cover back on the car, there appears to be pressure by that cowl. Everything is more or less aligned once the bumper cover mates back up with the fender. The 3 hidden bolts that get removed from each side of the fenders have alignment pins that guide the bumper cover. Maybe I'm not understanding the instructions to the "tightening in a star pattern" for the bumper that you're talking about. Only when those hidden bolts get tightened down, can you can reinstall the headlights. Otherwise you won't be able to access them.

So are we talking about those (5) 7mm bolts on the bottom of the bumper cover? or the (2) T25 torx / plastic rivet / 7mm bolt in the wheel well?

It's kind of a moot point for me.. since I've already heated the cowl area and reformed the plastic. Curious for others though.

Very cool scans BTW. Looks like you're using a projector and DSLR. What software are you using? I was playing around with Xbox Kinect camera but the resolution was so-so.
Hi, we're using a structured light scanner made by HP. Originally under the brand name David SLS. It is a very very good unit, I love it.

I am actually finishing up merging the scans right now, its 4:17 AM here and I'm still working lol

The way to do it is make sure the big mouth is seated all the way into the cowl (which i assume you did, and tightened the 5mm nut). When you hang the bumper on the front of the car, make sure the headlights are already in and seated correctly. You can tighten the three fender screws first, but I would start their threads and not tighten yet. Just make sure you use your hand and feel if any part of the bumper is snagging on the radiator cowl (there are so many tabs under there, any one tab in the wrong place will make re-installation difficult). Once you know you are clear, you can tighten the three fender screws and tighten the bumper screws. One at a time alternating between screws across from eachother, kind of like when installing a cylinder head :) Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Zissou

If someone can guess what part of the car this is, you will win a free intercontinental ballistic missile shoved waaaaaay up your butthole.

Anyone else here watch rick n' morty? Watching the new episodes while I work.
Oh you know it broh!

I've got a Krombopulous Michael decal on my car and a screen background of the two overlayed on stars.

Link because it's hard to describe but it's great:

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Now Adult Swim MUST produce some new episodes of Squidbillies.

Lord knows, with our current political disaster in this country they have more than enough subject matter to use as story lines. [histerical]

Now Adult Swim MUST produce some new episodes of Squidbillies.

Lord knows, with our current political disaster in this country they have more than enough subject matter to use as story lines. [histerical]
I am so satisfied with the FIRST 2 episodes of season 3, dan harmon never ceases to amaze me with his genius.