Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hyundai's i30 N hot hatch revealed

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
This design looks very familiar...

Hyundai's i30 N hot hatch is here

At last, we give you Hyundai’s first proper hot hatch. The i30 N has been teased for months – we’ve even driven a prototype – but at last we know all the numbers and have had a peek at how it looks.

The looks you may still be digesting, so here’s a run through the numbers. It’s front-wheel drive, with a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol turbo providing the power. There’s a base 247bhp tune, or a Performance Package car, which gets 271bhp. Both have the same amount of torque – 260lb ft – and both have a 155mph top speed. The Performance Package is 0.3sec quicker at completing 0-62mph, at 6.1secs.

But you do want the Performance Package. That’s because it also adds an electronic limited-slip differential, gets inch-bigger 19in wheels wrapped in very grown up Pirelli P-Zero tyres, rides a little lower and gets a variable exhaust system. It’s a hot hatch, so you want it to make a little noise, right?

Both cars come as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox – no paddleshift option – which gets launch control and rev-matching tech, so the car heels-and-toes for you on downchanges. The new Civic Type R also does that, but here you can simply turn it on and off with a button on the steering wheel. A more driver-focused process than the Honda…

Steering wheel buttons also switch the car through its various suspension and drivetrain modes. The N button is the one to press to put the i30 N in its toughest, feistiest modes. The stability control can be turned completely off, but also has a middle Sport mode for a bit of extra self-preservation.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #4
Wonder if we'll get these here in the US.
Hyundai i30 N: This is the 271-horsepower hot hatch we won't get

Unfortunately, we won't be getting Hyundai's hot hatch here in America, despite the fact that we already have a version of the regular i30 in the form of the Elantra GT. But we know that Hyundai is working on an N version of the Veloster, and we expect that N car to make the trip Stateside. It will probably have the same engine found in the i30 N, just in a funkier body. And if it has the same engine, we wouldn't be surprised if it comes with most of the i30 N's handling upgrades and gizmos.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
All-New Hyundai i30 N – Reveal

Published on Jul 13, 2017

The i30 N is our first high-performance car under the N line up. Built on our New Generation i30, the i30 N has been developed from the ground up to deliver maximum driving pleasure in everyday life on the road, as well as on the track. Here's a first look at the revealed car on the race track.

[video=youtube;UUfVBi-igUQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUfVBi-igUQ[/video]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
For such a glutinous, consumerist group, we Americans sure are deprived. You'd think they'd sell us everything! lol I like this a lot. Too bad i can't buy one. Now the Veloster. I almost went that direction. Sat in it and all. But then read the turbo had shit handling and wasn't all that fast. 271hp in a Volester. Now that might be my next car. Assuming the aftermarket steps up.

Hyundai's first stab at the hot hatch market.

While the future of Ford's hot hatch offerings in the US looms with uncertainty, the i30N seems like an honest to goodness stab at VW by Hyundai. Variant of the hot hatch "between 3150 and 3326 lbs" (big spread, I know) & putting out as much as 271 hp 260 lb-ft.
Yes, I know Kia has the Forte5 SX but that was more warm than hot IMHO. US probably won't see this until 2018 (possibly as a 2019).

Thoughts?

Road and Track
Jalopnik
Car Magazine UK

This is great but ultimately meaningless if it's not sold in North America.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waterfan

Not coming to US. Otherwise I would put it on my list of test drives.

From the R&T article "Unfortunately, the i30 N isn't coming to the US, so American's still have to choose a GTI. The first N model for the US will be introduced in 2018."

The article's last paragraph is a little conflicting. I think it will be brought here. The European i30 is the US Elantra GT. The current 2nd gen GT is already at the end of their life cycle. (IIRC) The US hasn't announced the GT's replacement yet at the US car shows. We are usually a year later than other markets. Probably because US consumers are notoriously litigious. Having a year to work out the kinks in Europe / Asia / S. America helps with that.

joesiris

ok so that's actually a pretty sweet car...a whole lot going on inside the thing though, that's one of the things I love about the FiST is that its just all car, not a whole lot of fancy distractions inside, you get in it and you drive it plain and simple, but I agree with Waterfan, id test drive it if it were coming to the us

From the R&T article "Unfortunately, the i30 N isn't coming to the US, so American's still have to choose a GTI. The first N model for the US will be introduced in 2018."

The article's last paragraph is a little conflicting. I think it will be brought here.
As the article states and BoostBumps pointed out we will be getting the 2019 Hyundai Veloster N, "same" thing as the i30.

Hopefully Hyundai goes all in with marketing to the masses, otherwise the Civic with its rep will send it packing.

If I was given a choice between the Civic Si/R and Hyundai GT Sport/Veloster N, only knowing that they are all 6-Speed FWD Turbo Hatches, I would go for the Hyundai simply on looks. This is probably one thing Hyundai is betting on. The design is great, understated but not GTI/R bland. Dress it up with some nice wheels and it rivals any German luxury compact in looks (rightfully so being that it is designed/engineered in Germany) while being a bargain to buy and run.

I'll be interested to see if/how Ford tries to hang with all of these new hot hatch offerings. I'm not sure the next gen FiST will have such an edge in driving enjoyment that it would justify buying over some of the more powerful hot hatches emerging. I'm curious what the next gen FoST will be like and if it will be the car to beat the way the FoRS is right now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This car is Focus sized/in the Focus' 'compact' category?

(I see so few Elantras around here, and don't pay any attention at all to them if I do, that I don't know this. ;))

Business6

Haha, 19" wheel "performance" package.

Looks like a legitimate competitor, though. And while the exterior is a bit mundane I don't see how VW can be praised for their incredibly generic, character-less, made-by-Apple exteriors. They're literally the antonym to Nissan's hilariously overdone monstrosities.

Haha, 19" wheel "performance" package.

Looks like a legitimate competitor, though. And while the exterior is a bit mundane I don't see how VW can be praised for their incredibly generic, character-less, made-by-Apple exteriors. They're literally the antonym to Nissan's hilariously overdone monstrosities.
As I get older (I'm 40 now), I think the GTIs are pretty handsome and understated, definitely not bad looking. They've stayed true to their boxy origins generation after generation. The current Civic hatches are way too busy, forget about the Type R, that's straight out of Tokyo Drift. The 20 something me would've been okay with it but a 40 year old looks like I'm having a midlife crisis. Even the Focus RS and the big wing is a bit much. For me the Fiesta ST had just right amount of edge.

If you squint, you can definitely see a little bit of the GTI in the i30N rear. The nose is Hyundai which isn't a bad thing. Another thing that would sway me is their 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. Beat the snot out of a 271HP AND have a good warranty? Hell yeah. From videos I've seen the interior looked a little cramp though. My wish would be to have the space and versatility of a Honda Fit. Their magic seats are a marvel of design. Too bad the Fit's engine doesn't deliver excitement.

I think this must be the i30N's American cousin. I spotted this car today in a parking lot near Hyundai's California HQ. No model badging, just the H logo on front and back, and manufacturer license plates. The interior looked like the photos as well.

Attachments

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yup. We get the elantra gt with similar power ratings as a FiST. No elantra N for us unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S General Automotive Discussions 138