Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What type of DP?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So here comes the question....To be Catted or not to be catted? And who makes a truly good DP without fitment issues.....finish issues etc. The Turbo will be getting upgraded...but couldn't just the exhuast be upgraded to full 3inch minus the cat upgrade and still be Ok? Or will it become the choke point ? I will take all opinions even Brura22s into consideration because he knows I love him! Just like I love you all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the stock catback is good for way more power than the stock downpipe. I've heard of a lot of people running their oem catback up into the 250hp+ range with a decat, but I haven't done it myself.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
I have a Dp that's catless....but im trying to avoid the o2 shenanigans and the rear o2 freaking out and having to use a defouler. If rather have a high flow cat to avoid it...I've seen the options and am just wondering what others have done and felt were decent quality.

I thought you were referring to the catback when you were talking about upgrading to a 3". Are you thinking of putting 3" pipes on the stock cat?

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
I have a catless DP....i have stock exhaust currently also....just mulling it over to get an exhaust also from whoosh. I'd rather have a catted Dp....but was looking for others thoughts on what i have or if it's worth getting a Cobb or mountune catted DP....abd selling what I have to avoid the o2 debacle.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Pete not The Pete . Has a modded stock cat that is an alternative. His YouTube is T shirt driving.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
I saw that...looks interesting....id Do it ....but time is of the essence and it's my DD....so I'd rather purchase or just keep the factory in and do exhaust from the cat back.....

Once again, the stock catback is solid. The first bottleneck you're gonna find is the dp. Everything after the dp is just gonna make you sound cool

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
What's your opinion on catted vs. Non catted Dp?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey man. I've had non-catted over the years and I chose catted for this car. Just too old to be breathing that stuff all the time. Maybe I lose 5HP, it's worth it. That smell any time you stop is just annoying.

I found a Cobb catted DP for $280 shipped. Look around and maybe a good catted one will come up for sale.

I am NOT king of the forest! Whatever that means...........

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
Did you buy it from a vendor or from a member? That quote is from Harold and Kumar go to white castle....where Kumar is peeing in a bush...then Jaime Kennedy walks up and starts peeing right next to him ....keep in mind this is out in bum fuck egypt....kumar asks Jaime....what are you doing? Kennedy then says...."Is this your Bush? You king of the Forrest?....watch it sometime....its a laugh.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Did you buy it from a vendor or from a member? That quote is from Harold and Kumar go to white castle....where Kumar is peeing in a bush...then Jaime Kennedy walks up and starts peeing right next to him ....keep in mind this is out in bum fuck egypt....kumar asks Jaime....what are you doing? Kennedy then says...."Is this your Bush? You king of the Forrest?....watch it sometime....its a laugh.

I started the process of gathering all the stuff for my turbo upgrade and a DP was one thing I needed as I was still on stocker....found one on the forums. I've been here for about 20 months and I've seen them come up for sale every few months, I just got lucky that one was available. My encouragement was to hold out or spend a bit more $$$ for the catted. But to each his own.

I need to see that Typhoon! A friend and I were just talking about those....

Good luck finding the right DP!!

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
Here ya go meng....just drove it a couple weekends ago to cars and coffee....i was the only Typhoon there....[emoji106]

jeff

2000 Post Club
Here ya go meng....just drove it a couple weekends ago to cars and coffee....i was the only Typhoon there....[emoji106]

Probably the only Typhoon in the state!

Hey I'll trade you my Cobb DP for your Typhoon, how does that sound??!!

[ridinghorse]

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
How many times I've been asked to sell or can I trade I'd be a millionaire in pennies maybe. I bought this vehicle not knowing anything about them....just was told "Hey man....F%&k an Evo....STI....volkswagon GTI.....get a Typhoon or a Syclone. I bought it undriven and only seen in pictures ....one of the Best car purchase in the performance realm I've made other than the FiST. Nothing can replace a 10lb. Boost launch in a Typhoon or a Syclone. Thanks again man! I'll keep an Eye put for a catted DP.

I am in this same dilemma. Not sure if I want to go catless or not. I know of a shop that will overlook it for emissions, but idk if I want to deal with the smell.

Zissou

What's your opinion on catted vs. Non catted Dp?

I went with the Cobb catted downpipe. I wanted to avoid smells and I would feel guilty about the environment and all that.
The Cobb downpipe is very high quality.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #18
I went with the Cobb catted downpipe. I wanted to avoid smells and I would feel guilty about the environment and all that.
The Cobb downpipe is very high quality.
How did it fit?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Nice 'wagon wheels'! [thumb]

Also, as most others have said, I would go catted and give up the few peak ponies for the sake of not having to breathe in those fumes. ;) (What I plan to do if I ever go hybrid/BT kit.)

I've been in LS1 f bodies with no catcons, and they were so noxious, especially at stop signs/in stop and go traffic, that I get a severe headache, and become really nauseous in short order, DESPITE them supposedly being 'tuned' to not be so bad on the street. [:(]

It's so bad at times that your eyes begin to water!

Zissou

How did it fit?

The Cobb dp fits well, as I would expect from Cobb [lovecobb]

What was a huge PITA was getting the OEM downpipe out. Even with shearing a stud off (RMM installation - rookie mistake), that thing was a pain to get out.

The Cobb piece is much smaller as it does not have the big bracket that the OEM one attaches to the RMM with. It's lighter than the OEM one so I guess Cobb they decided they didn't need it.

From the pictures of catless dp's the Cobb isn't much bigger.