Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice for pinhole in AC line

codestp202

Hey guys, I installed an oil cooler a while back, and despite wrapping the braided lines where they may come in contact with any lines, my braided lines rubbed a small pinhole in one of my AC hardlines at my last trackday at Thunderhill. I got to drive home in 107 degree heat :'(

I attempted to fix the pinhole with some JB Weld. I recharged the system, but it seems to be spewing back out of that hole. I've tried to seal it again with JB weld and no luck. I've now wasted one can of r134a.

So now I come to you guys. Is it best to replace the part: I believe its 19D734A- the hardline/softline with the low pressure port. The pinhole is located just below the can looking object at the bend.
I've attached the OEM part diagram, the purple box is approximately where the pinhole is located. I believe this is the right diagram, the part is question is the AC line with the low pressure port that has the rubber covered line going down into the engine bay, right next to the coolant expansion tank.

Or is there another trick to sealing that pinhole which is now covered in JB weld.

Is anyone experienced with replacing AC lines? I'm guessing I should make sure the whole system is bled before removing the hose. Does anyone know if I need new gaskets on both sides / any specific info I need to know when replacing it?
Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Chances are my friend is most of the Freon has been evacuated put into the stratosphere and long gone...you may have some residual left but it isn't much....especially if you have no cold air a blowing. I'd suggest doing the line yourself and then bring it somewhere to have them vacuum the system and fill it with dye and Freon. Those parts store vacuum tools are broken half the time due to people not filling them up with oil or checking the sightglass for oil in them. I was going to make a reference joke to prostitutes and being dry on freebie day just like the parts store Vacuum pumps but I restrained myself. Best of luck! God speed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #3
Chances are my friend is most of the Freon has been evacuated put into the stratosphere and long gone...you may have some residual left but it isn't much....especially if you have no cold air a blowing. I'd suggest doing the line yourself and then bring it somewhere to have them vacuum the system and fill it with dye and Freon. Those parts store vacuum tools are broken half the time due to people not filling them up with oil or checking the sightglass for oil in them. I was going to make a reference joke to prostitutes and being dry on freebie day just like the parts store Vacuum pumps but I restrained myself. Best of luck! God speed!

The cold air isn't the issue. I lost all my freon at the track, but after sealing the hole and recharging the system with r134a, it blew plenty cold but the JB Weld did not hold even after sealing it twice, it would leak and it would all spill out.

So I can change the line myself, but is there some magic about refilling it afterwards after removing a line? Can I simply recharge the system myself again?

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #5
Wonderful info sir, thank you :)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You will need to have a vacuum machine as I spoke about that are usually broken and found at most parts stores in the loan a tool program. BUT be wary of them as I said people DO NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS the first time used and ruin them.

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #7
You will need to have a vacuum machine as I spoke about that are usually broken and found at most parts stores in the loan a tool program. BUT be wary of them as I said people DO NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS the first time used and ruin them.

Very good point at well. I will shop around to hopefully find a working one.

Replace the line and evacuate the freon system. You need to remove all of the air and moisture in the system and then pull a vaccum. I personally would replace the line myself and pay an ac shop to purge, evacuate and fill the system. Too little or too much freon in your system will damage your compressor and will lead to costly repairs. Chances are you may have ruined the ac filter dryer. Once these are exposed to the atmosphere it's a good chance the desiccant inside is used up and the unit should be replaced.

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #10
Damn, turning into more of a job then I had anticipated!! Okay, I will do so! Will replace the line, and the filter. My buddy is a BMW tech, and they will give me a discount at their shop to vacuum out the moisture / air and recharge the system.

Can anyone tell me where the filter dryer is on our system?

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #12
I think it is located under the RH headlight
Awesome, I'll check it out.

Lastly, do you guys think I can reuse the orings? The car has 12k miles.
Now I'm not one to say re-use parts, I'll probably just purchase them, but it looks like they all use the same orings according to these part numbers. I would need two for the line with the pinhole, and two for the drier, and although they all have different names, the part number is the same for all of them DS7Z-19B596-A.

It actually appears that the orings are provided with the suction hose

"Included With Hose & Tube Assembly. Included With Suction Tube. Included With Upper Pressure Hose. Included With Suction Hose. Included With Pressure Tube. Included With Lower Pressure Hose. Included With AC Line. Included With Evaporator Tube. Included With Discharge Hose."

Edit:
Anyone have experience with oemfordpart.com or tascaparts.com?

Both have all my parts for under 1/2 of buying from the factory.

So far I have this:

Suction hose: C1BZ-19867-D $31.85 from Tasca (According to upper description they come with the orings)
Dehydrator: BE8Z-19959-A $47.18 from Tasca (Do not come with orings, debating on purchasing 2, or should I reuse mine)

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #13
Heres the parts I'm thinking about replacing. Tasca has the best prices
I'm definitely replacing the Dehydrator, and the Suction hose. Suction hose comes with orings. Wondering if I need to purchase two more for the dehydrator, or if the current ones will suffice.
Once the parts come in, I'll replace it all, vacuum out the system, and charge it / add the proper amount of oil. Not sure if I want to rent the tools and do it under the supervision of my mechanic buddy, or just pay the $100 to have his shop do it.

I recently ordered from Tasca and my experience was average at best. Shipping took 3 weeks to arrive for my special order instrument cluster. After shipping charges and return shipping for the core I ended up paying same price as local dealership.

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #15
I recently ordered from Tasca and my experience was average at best. Shipping took 3 weeks to arrive for my special order instrument cluster. After shipping charges and return shipping for the core I ended up paying same price as local dealership.
Lol they want ~$40 to ship two small parts. No wonder the parts were so inexpensive. I have a ford dealer less then a mile from my house, I'll probably just end up purchasing it off fordparts and having it delivered to that dealership.

Good callout

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I would probably pay a shop to recharge the system. To do it yourself you would need a Vac pump, AC gauges and weighing scales. I have not done AC systems for about 15 years but I always use to charge the system by measuring the amount of gas installed by weight. You need the spec for the vehicle/system.

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #17
I would probably pay a shop to recharge the system. To do it yourself you would need a Vac pump, AC gauges and weighing scales. I have not done AC systems for about 15 years but I always use to charge the system by measuring the amount of gas installed by weight. You need the spec for the vehicle/system.
Yeah, I will most likely have a shop do the recharge as the weighing part is what turns me away