Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Evans
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X47 noise diagnosis ideas? Subtle F# note....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    What's up people!

Wondered if any had this issue and can report, I'd appreciate it!

So last weekend was put a X47/WGA/Cobb DP/ported manny/colder plugs on my car...I'm in the tuning process. Car feels great even on 2nd revision. Super happy!

Now, I have 4 new noises, the fourth of which is something I haven't read about so I'm wondering if it's abnormal:

NOISE 1 = more intake noise, to be expected...
    NOISE 2 = the X47 whistle, loudish and obvious, around 2500rpms, this has been talked of much and is to be expected with the X47...
    NOISE 3 = more exhaust, to be expected...
    NOISE 4 = a very subtle but nearly always there whistle...

Noise 4 is the one I'm asking about. Could be turbo spool but it doesn't increase or decrease (rise or fall in pitch), it just appears and disappears. It appears when the car is still or driving. I can coast and it's there, no throttle. It is most notable when very slightly engaging the throttle. I've heard it in all gears, moreso with the windows down.

I checked the hoses/intake/etc. for any leak and didn't see anything, though I didn't go too far or remove the intake. My CP-E airbox has a slight gap in the top cover, I put some painters tape around it, but noise is still there. I thought maybe it was the cowl or something like that, but if it were something of the structural nature it would always be there rather than come and go. So I think it has to do with engine/exhaust/hardware.

Could be turbo, or manifold, or DP, or WGA, or none of the above. I'm stumped.

After hearing it for hours, I went to my piano, being a musician, and as I suspected it is an F# note, for what it's worth! I tried to get a sound clip but the phone won't pick it up. But whistle an F# note and that's the exact sound. In fact, it sounds like there is a little person under my hood whistling gently, about that volume.

I asked my tuner if he saw anything in the datalogs that indicated a leak/issue, he said NO!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey, check out my build thread!

Member 137 Rep Points shouldbeasy's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X47 noise diagnosis ideas? Subtle F# note....

Try to get a video! (Edit - just read a you did try... dang! Maybe a different camera if you have one? )

But really, mine makes all sorts of turbo noises - my stock intake lets the whistle through more than say my friends CPE intake which you hear more intake noises and air sounds.

Are you very sensitive to the noise changes?

And lastly, if it doesn't affect the car's performance along with nothing showing in the logs, call it good! Just check fluid levels and all that - oh, did you pressure up the turbo before starting the car? I have a video that's accumulating a good number of views showing how to do it.

Member 91 Rep Points letitreign's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the very least you can rule out the CP-E airbox, mine's not air tight either and I'm not experiencing this noise.

Staff Team Staff Team 813 Rep Points CanadianGuy's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Southern Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure it is not you going "WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!" ? I would in your setup.

To be fair (i was bored before I proceed with this) You have new parts they make new sounds. My refrigerator manual started with "your new appliance will sound different than your old one. This is normal". Not saying you do or do not have a problem but too many no variables. Other things to check. sound the same cold engine or hot engine? Down shifting (pulling vaccum instead of boost)? in gear not in gear?
    Performance: DHM factory fitment IC, GFB DV+, Denso ITV22 sparks Mountune: RMM, MP215, Boost hose kit, Intercooler Charge Pipe, induction hose, CatBack, Strut brace and lower frame brace
    Function: No-pistons dead pedal, pedal spacer, battery tie down and evap skid plate, Mishimoto OCC, 4mm skid plate, autodiming mirror, Husky weatherbeater mats, Rally Armor mud flaps, Cobb exhaust hangers, Boomba Ultimate shift kit
    Appearance: Tint, Mountune Spoiler extension and splitter, Orange Shift knob, Diode Dynamic fog lights, Xenon depot LED H11 bulbs, Fiesta illuminated sill plates, LED interior lighting

My build: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/t...daily-fun-ride

Medals
    City
    Evans
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shouldbeasy View Post
    Try to get a video! (Edit - just read a you did try... dang! Maybe a different camera if you have one? )

But really, mine makes all sorts of turbo noises - my stock intake lets the whistle through more than say my friends CPE intake which you hear more intake noises and air sounds.

Are you very sensitive to the noise changes?

And lastly, if it doesn't affect the car's performance along with nothing showing in the logs, call it good! Just check fluid levels and all that - oh, did you pressure up the turbo before starting the car? I have a video that's accumulating a good number of views showing how to do it.
    Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, turbo was installed correctly! As for sensitive to noise changes, the answer is YES. I expected some, just never read about this one so I want to make sure all is well and possibly identify the source. I use my radio/audio system 1% of the time...my car is my sanctuary and about the only place I get peace and quiet, so I tend to drive around alot thinking and praying and musing on life. Also I'm a musician. So the ears are always on high alert. Maybe too much!

Quote Originally Posted by letitreign View Post
    At the very least you can rule out the CP-E airbox, mine's not air tight either and I'm not experiencing this noise.
    OK thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post

To be fair (i was bored before I proceed with this) You have new parts they make new sounds. My refrigerator manual started with "your new appliance will sound different than your old one. This is normal". Not saying you do or do not have a problem but too many no variables. Other things to check. sound the same cold engine or hot engine? Down shifting (pulling vaccum instead of boost)? in gear not in gear?
    The WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! in my head doesn't come out of my mouth too much because I'm in analysis mode. Haha very funny though!

The thing about me is I do extensive research and analyze everything far more than most people. So as I mentioned new noises #1-3 were to be expected, but not #4. I'm not a person who can say "the car runs great, no worries!". I want to know because it bothers me and if it can be eliminated I'll try to find a way. If it's normal, fine. Just want to know if it's normal. Since it is so present and I haven't read of this one yet, I think it is abnormal. Plus it's 97 here; if it's this noticeable now, I am sure it will be much more present when it is 20 in a few months.

To your (very good) questions - noise is same hot and cold. Down shift or up shift, it's there. It's there coasting in neutral, when I'm still and revving the engine not moving, both when in gear and out of gear. I can be sitting there in my driveway not moving, gently rev the engine, and the noise comes and goes with the rev. But then again, I can be coasting along with zero throttle and the noise is there, so it doesn't seem as attached to the revs.

Thanks again for ideas....my friend Daniel is gonna look at the car with me tomorrow, he's a whiz, maybe he will have some 411...

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Davenport
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Stock diverter, GFB, ?

Administrator Staff Team 927 Rep Points BoostBumps's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Palm Desert
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
    WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

SOLD: '14 Fiesta ST - RaceRed | Recaro | NAV | MoonRoof | Red Calipers

COBB - AP | ATR | TBE | FMIC | IC Pipes | Sport Springs
    CPE - CAI JBR - OCC Kit CFM - Baffled Breather Cap DiY - Symposer Delete | RAM Intake Duct
    SPARCO - Assetto Gara Wheels 17x7 Rally Innovations - Front Splitter BOOMBA - Short Shift | Wing Risers
    LatheWerks - Hybrid Piston Shift Knob No Pistons - Dead Pedal | Battery Tie-Down | Pedal Spacer
    VLED - Fogs | Domes 3M - Window Tint Perrin - Shorty Antenna

Self-Tuned: e30 | 220whp | 325wtq (V-Dyno) Selectable Map Slots: e10 | e20 | e30 | ECO

Boostbumps Build Thread

BoostBumps Garage Pics

2017 MX-5 RF GT

Medals
    City
    Evans
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
    Stock diverter, GFB, ?
    Stocker. Talk to me....

Staff Team Staff Team 813 Rep Points CanadianGuy's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Southern Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Stocker. Talk to me....
    Spring can weaken overtime and not close the valve. You would see something on the ap when not pulling boost. My next question is if you hear it at idle where/what side of the engine is it comming from?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Davenport
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Stocker. Talk to me....
    Mine would noticeably leak at 25lbs till I went GFB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast