Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerflex Motor Mount Inserts

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #61
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] I have the black insert just like you. After install, did your engine sit about 1/4" higher on the passenger side? I could see that mine does, as it's now causing my CFM breather to hit my Pierce strut brace. I don't think this'll affect anything, but I'm not 100% sure. I wonder if I removed the factory insert altogether and replaced it with the powerflex if it'd level out and still give the benefit of being stiffer.
I haven't installed it yet, hopefully by this weekend. But what you describe seems totally possible as the insert is preventing the mount from internally sagging. Things may settle a bit after some miles on it. I wouldn't remove the factory insert, it would defeat the purpose. Both inserts are designed to work together to fill the void, which ultimately will prevent a lot of movement.

I haven't installed it yet, hopefully by this weekend. But what you describe seems totally possible as the insert is preventing the mount from internally sagging. Things may settle a bit after some miles on it. I wouldn't remove the factory insert, it would defeat the purpose. Both inserts are designed to work together to fill the void, which ultimately will prevent a lot of movement.
Ok I'll leave it as is and let it settle in. Also, FYI, it'll creak a little at 1st gear takeoff, but I think that'll go away after it breaks in.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #64
Ok I'll leave it as is and let it settle in. Also, FYI, it'll creak a little at 1st gear takeoff, but I think that'll go away after it breaks in.
thanks, my mount is already stiff, filled with urethane but i may just put a dab of lithium grease to quell possible squeaks.

The galvanized rubber inside the mount on the passenger side is not exactly flat. I have high points in mine, but mine is definitely sitting flat. Did anyone else have to pull out the pry bar to slide the bushing past the chassis on the driver's side?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #66
I got around to installing the passenger side insert today. I will not be installing the driver side insert, as I've already filled it completely with 80A eurathane.

Here's briefly how I did the install for the passenger side insert for those that may be curious to what's involved. Powerflex provides instructions, but some don't like to read and prefer pictures LOL.

I didn't have extra coolant lying around and there's no point in wastefully disposing perfectly good coolant, so I siphoned out what was in the reservoir.

Removed the 2 hardline top reservoir hoses and plugged the ports with vacuum caps that fit. This allows me to flip the bottle any which way, while keeping whatever little coolant there is in the bottle. I hate working and dealing with the slippery-ness of coolant and this worked out great.

Support the motor from below, then remove the mount.

(Optional) with the mount out of the car apply some lithium grease on the mating surface of the stock mount insert that will be making contact with the Powerflex insert.

Install the insert. I used the small hole on the mount's housing as reference as to where the split should be centered to.

Install the retaining O-Ring around the Powerflex Insert.

Apply a dab of blue thread locker to the lower mount bolts.

Re-install the mount. I torqued them "goodentight", but specs were posted earlier for those that want them. I did not use thread lock on the top nuts, I did on their studs that they fasten to however the last time they came out. The reason I choose not to thread lock the nuts is because the next time I go to remove the nuts they'll end up pulling the whole stud along with it and I don't want that. The factory nuts are lined with nylon to prevent movement anyways. I marked the nuts to the mount with white paint marker to keep an eye on any movement over time, if any.

Return the reservoir, hoses and pour coolant back in.

Rinse off the area with clean water, especially the accessory belt if coolant got on it. Remove support from the bottom, bleed coolant if neccessary and enjoy new mod.

Last edited:
OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
it's been 100-114 deg F over the last several days and the insert has broken in nicely. There's no more additional NVH over the 80A filled mount it's paired with.

Last edited:
If you want to do it right, no. If you want to do a hack job, good luck. In order to properly remove the center bolt, the entire mount should come off. Trying to re torque the center bolt with the mount on the car ain't gonna happen. You stand a chance of fatiguing that bolt and wrecking havoc to the internal bushing the bolt mount is embedded in without properly getting a hold of the internal mount the center bolt fastens to. To clarify to not confuse anyone, the center bolt doesn't need to come off for the Powerflex passenger side bushing insert as depicted below. I took it off to source a stronger bolt.
I got confused along the way. It seems you said you have to take the mount out to install the urethane ring so you can properly retorque the center bolt. Then you said the center bolt doesn't have to come off for this operation. Huh?

BTW, I've heard of others breaking that center bolt. Is there a go-to replacement? Gotta link? Seems like a good thing to do with the mount out.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #70
Yes, the mount should be removed from the car, but the center bolt does not need to be removed to install the insert. There's no way to properly re torque the center bolt with the insert in the way. Refer to pic posted earlier of center bolt removed, a special tool needed to properly remove the center bolt. A stronger replacement bolt can be sourced and is available.

All that said, there's the ghetto way of installing the insert without removing the mount and just taking an impact gun to the center bolt and top nuts to remove and install the insert, but not recommended.

If it's still confusing, just following the link to the Powerflex instructions posted earlier and that's also included with the bushing. It's pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
Are you saying I need a special tool to properly install the insert? Or only to replace the center bolt?

You don't need a special tool. Remove the 6 bolts top and bottom of mount, leave center bolt in, apply bushing and rubberband, re-install mount. Done.

Also if you want an easier time installing the driver side mount back in, the bushing will be sticking out and get hung up on a lip of the chassis metal. Use a long flathead pry bar with another smaller flathead screwdriver. Put a towel down when pushing into the bushing and metal so as to not to scratch or gouge the metal.

Just finished installing these and I'm a super happy camper!

I've had the ttr mounts in for about 3k miles, they made the car shift and feel incredible. But on my 6am 50mile drive to work they were loud and made the car drone. I figured I somehow broke an exhaust stud somewhere, but it never fully sounded like an exhaust leak... There was no added noise outside the car, Only in the cabin.

I decided to screw it and get a set of the street mounts from Ron@whoosh, the car is back to stock noise levels! And there is no noticeable different in shift quality or feel! Fit and finishish were great! Only "issue"was my passenger side bushing was not slit, a razer blade and 15seconds of time fixed that.

This is a must buy product! The stock mounts have way too much flex and this is the simple effective cheap fix that doesn't seem to have any sacrifices.

I'll reinstall the ttr mounts once this car gets turned into a track slut at some point in the future, there is no doubt they allow less motor movement but I just couldn't deal with the highway drone!

are you able to purchase one for the driver side and the passenger side? or is it only for the passenger side :eek:

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Just finished installing these and I'm a super happy camper!

I've had the ttr mounts in for about 3k miles, they made the car shift and feel incredible. But on my 6am 50mile drive to work they were loud and made the car drone. I figured I somehow broke an exhaust stud somewhere, but it never fully sounded like an exhaust leak... There was no added noise outside the car, Only in the cabin.

I decided to screw it and get a set of the street mounts from Ron@whoosh, the car is back to stock noise levels! And there is no noticeable different in shift quality or feel! Fit and finishish were great! Only "issue"was my passenger side bushing was not slit, a razer blade and 15seconds of time fixed that.

This is a must buy product! The stock mounts have way too much flex and this is the simple effective cheap fix that doesn't seem to have any sacrifices.

I'll reinstall the ttr mounts once this car gets turned into a track slut at some point in the future, there is no doubt they allow less motor movement but I just couldn't deal with the highway drone!

Thanks. That's exactly how I felt about the ttr pass mount I had installed. I brought this up and was told it was because I only had the pass side installed. I believe they are great for
More built fist.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account