Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerflex Motor Mount Inserts

jeff

2000 Post Club
Ron and others - thanks for this info. Passengers side is creaking, I think all the new torque has upset things.

Gonna order the passenger side for now - can anyone elaborate on the difference between street and race. It's obvious but I would like more info before I place my order.

Thanks!

EDIT

Nevermind just ordered, talked to Ron on the phone, what a swell guy. Mounts on the way!!!

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Ron and others - thanks for this info. Passengers side is creaking, I think all the new torque has upset things.

Gonna order the passenger side for now - can anyone elaborate on the difference between street and race. It's obvious but I would like more info before I place my order.

Thanks!

EDIT

Nevermind just ordered, talked to Ron on the phone, what a swell guy. Mounts on the way!!!
Thanks Jeff - nice speaking to you as well
I have 1 street and 1 Black race in stock
I'd like to send them to you...if you don't like the Black for your install day I will send you a replacement street when they are back in stock. Powerflex can not keep us in stock.
I have open PO's for these...they sell like crazy.
Thanks again for the order and calling in.

-Ron

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks Jeff - nice speaking to you as well
I have 1 street and 1 Black race in stock
I'd like to send them to you...if you don't like the Black for your install day I will send you a replacement street when they are back in stock. Powerflex can not keep us in stock.
I have open PO's for these...they sell like crazy.
Thanks again for the order and calling in.

-Ron
Hmmm ok. We will see and I’ll let you know. A local friend and I are installing together. We both wanted yellow but I’ll put the black on my car. I’ll report the difference and let you know if I need a yellow one.

Hmmm ok. We will see and I’ll let you know. A local friend and I are installing together. We both wanted yellow but I’ll put the black on my car. I’ll report the difference and let you know if I need a yellow one.
Any update?

jeff

2000 Post Club
OK did this tonight, 30 minute job. A few thoughts/review:

THANKS TO RON @ WHOOSH
...for getting this to me so quickly.

THE PART
I ordered the street and race version and gave the race version to my buddy who also has an ST and just had a birthday. Once he installs he or I will post some impressions of the race version (the black one). The part is a piece of rubber, $32, seems like alot for a piece of rubber but it does fit perfectly so what the heck, meh. So my review here is of the softer street version (the yellow one).

INSTALL
Install is super easy, just jack the engine slightly. You might have to move the jack around a bit or up and down but once it's just right all works out. Instead of draining the coolant like the other dude suggested I just removed my passengers side headlight, unclipped the coolant tank, and moved it over to the left where the headlight was, super easy no issues no coolant no hoses no anything. I can install and reinstall the headlights now in 10 seconds since I've done them so much so this was easier for me than draining the tank and/or plugging the lines.

Next remove the 3 top nuts off the studs and the 3 bottom bolts. Pull out the mount. If it's stuck, like I said above just move the jack a bit in whatever way and the mount comes out super easy. Apply some grease or silicone, insert insert with the textured side down, insert O-ring, reinstall, torque to spec, reinstall coolant tank and headlight, you're done. Don't forget to plug your headlight back in. Reminder, lower 3 bolts are 48Nm, upper 3 nuts/studs are 80Nm.

REVIEW
NVH - there is a bit more. If you're a gearhead you might not notice or care. At idle there are a few more rattles. I didn't use the A/C when I drove it after install, but I imagine it would take the rattles up a notch. Overall it's not bad, but it is there. I'm super sensitive to sound and I hear everything so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt. Maybe the mount will break in a bit and the added NVH will disappear. No big deal though, it's really minimal. I imagine that if you're sensitive to rattles and etc. and just want your peace and quiet then the yellow street version is the one for you.

FEEL - there is a difference, you notice it for sure. It's not dramatic but it is definitely there. At every shift, whether going in or out of a gear, you notice it feeling firmer. When the car accelerates you notice less slop. Wasn't a lot of slop before, but there's less now. Again not dramatic but it's there, a nice small change. Your passenger won't notice it but you will. It's about half as noticeable as a Cobb motor mount upgrade. By Saturday I'll have forgotten I installed it because I'll be used to it.

In close, this is definitely a good mod for only $32, especially considering how easy install is. The black race version probably feels better but also adds more rattles, it's pretty firm whereas the yellow one I installed is pretty flexible. So take your pic. After doing this mod I'm likely to order the driver's side at some point. I'd really be interested to know some impressions from someone who installed the passenger's side first and then did the driver's later, what sort of difference the latter made.

In summary: Go get one!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #89
removing the headlight requires the cowls to be removed. to remove the cowls the wipers have to come off. too many bolts, nuts and clips to mess with, it's easier and quicker for me siphon the coolant out.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
removing the headlight requires the cowls to be removed. to remove the cowls the wipers have to come off. too many bolts, nuts and clips to mess with, it's easier and quicker for me siphon the coolant out.
I have removed my headlights it's 2 bolts and one plastic screw lift up done.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #91
I have removed my headlights it's 2 bolts and one plastic screw lift up done.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
You're right, I recalled incorrectly. In order to remove the cowl the headlights have to come off, which I find annoying.

jeff

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=819]Flaco[/MENTION]
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3591]draxxus131[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3936]MisSTrouble[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5030]Corrosion[/MENTION]

Hey guys and gal, could any of you comment on the drivers side inserts? I installed the passenger side and love love love it, so I'm gonna get the other set before long but haven't seen much in the way of review/install tips on the drivers side.

I appreciate it!

I don’t have the driver’s side inserts, as I filled mine with 95a polyurethane. It’s basically a solid mount.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Helpful vid. Except it's not necessary to remove the center bolt in the passenger's side mount, and he put it in upside down. Still it's helpful to show you what's happening.

[video=youtube;yxdcZf-g344]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdcZf-g344[/video]

Helpful vid. Except it's not necessary to remove the center bolt in the passenger's side mount, and he put it in upside down. Still it's helpful to show you what's happening.

[video=youtube;yxdcZf-g344]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdcZf-g344[/video]
Hi Jeff,

I just did the passenger side this week, which was a breeze once I had a deep-socket.

I have the driver's side and a brand-new mount on the way. I will let you know how the install process is. My biggest thing will be removing the battery tray as it looks needlessly complicated.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
Hi Jeff, installed mine much like in the above vid., but I used a jack to support the weight of the engine. Only difference I saw in the video was that I didn't need to separate the passenger mount. My bushing had a slit in it which made it easy to slide the bush in and fit the o-ring. Very happy with the Powerflex bushings, I have all 3 of them !

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hi Jeff,

I just did the passenger side this week, which was a breeze once I had a deep-socket.

I have the driver's side and a brand-new mount on the way. I will let you know how the install process is. My biggest thing will be removing the battery tray as it looks needlessly complicated.
Thanks man!! The install doesn’t look too bad, the battery removal is easy enough. Did you go with the yellow or black ones?

Hi Jeff, installed mine much like in the above vid., but I used a jack to support the weight of the engine. Only difference I saw in the video was that I didn't need to separate the passenger mount. My bushing had a slit in it which made it easy to slide the bush in and fit the o-ring. Very happy with the Powerflex bushings, I have all 3 of them !
Thanks! Did you install them separately or all at once? If separately can you comment on the effects of the driver side mount?

Thanks man!! The install doesn’t look too bad, the battery removal is easy enough. Did you go with the yellow or black ones?

Thanks! Did you install them separately or all at once? If separately can you comment on the effects of the driver side mount?
I got the yellow street ones, as this is my daily driver. I think it is perfect for the street. I have had the Cobb RMM for the past two years and this is the perfect compliment to that. I can see that the race ones would be great for a track/autoX car but I think the yellow is enough for the street, as I don't think the race version would gain you all that much on the road.

That's good to hear about the battery tray. I have looked at it a few times and have worried about trying to remove it. I am sure it will be easy once I get a better look at it.

If this is a daily driver, I would highly recommend the yellow ones. Don't forget to apply some lithium grease to prevent squeaking. I applied it to both the existing mount and the mount insert.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I got the yellow street ones, as this is my daily driver. I think it is perfect for the street. I have had the Cobb RMM for the past two years and this is the perfect compliment to that. I can see that the race ones would be great for a track/autoX car but I think the yellow is enough for the street, as I don't think the race version would gain you all that much on the road.

That's good to hear about the battery tray. I have looked at it a few times and have worried about trying to remove it. I am sure it will be easy once I get a better look at it.

If this is a daily driver, I would highly recommend the yellow ones. Don't forget to apply some lithium grease to prevent squeaking. I applied it to both the existing mount and the mount insert.
Cool thanks. Yeah me too on the yellow and the grease is a good tip. I have the Cobb RMM as well.

Why did you order a new mount? Are you going aftermarket or did the stocker fail?

Cool thanks. Yeah me too on the yellow and the grease is a good tip. I have the Cobb RMM as well.

Why did you order a new mount? Are you going aftermarket or did the stocker fail?
I ordered a new mount because it is only $30 shipped for a new one. That way, I will be installing and reinforcing a brand-new mount, rather than a 45000 mile one that has been stressed by a Cobb RMM and a reinforced passenger side mount. It also makes sense to replace it while I have it disassembled.