Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Finally got my Corbeau seats installed

codestp202

IF I had to guess, I would say yes, since you have broken the circuit with the disconnected connector, unless you install the correct ohm value resistor, which should also turn off the light.

It will not matter for me, since I plan on eventually replacing the steering wheel as well, with a non airbag, racing wheel (Sparco Mod 383 alcantara), so the front exploding pillows will be de-activated as well (with their resultant cluster lights of course [mad], or maybe not? [dunno]).
I unplugged my sensor today on my stock seat. Airbag light came on instantly. I am itching to buy a seat so I think I'm going to do a 2.2k ohm resister after I get the seat fabbed up.
I'm looking at the Corbeau forza, its a bottom mount fixed back seat. I also took a good look at the stock sliders and how the seat attaches to it. 4 rivets hold the seats to the sliders, drill those out and the seat will come off, I think we can just drill a new hole, and mount the aftermarket seat to the sliders. Am I crazy in thinking this? Seems a hell of a lot cheaper then buying new sliders/ the planted base. With grade 8 hardware it should be good to go.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^NOT crazy, it's just that I would want the factory seat FULLY intact, as a unit, with no fabrication needed to just simply re-install it into the car, if necessary.
Which is why I would go for the Planted bases, and whatever sliders the seats came with. ;)

codestp202

^^^NOT crazy, it's just that I would want the factory seat FULLY intact, as a unit, with no fabrication needed to just simply re-install it into the car, if necessary.
Which is why I would go for the Planted bases, and whatever sliders the seats came with. ;)
That makes complete sense. I picked up the corbeau Fx1 pro this morning. Will get it installed this week

The only worry I have for people doing this and driving on the public roads is that, in case of an accident, your insurance company may really have reasonable grounds to deny coverage for injuries, including death, to you or your passenger. It would certainly become difficult and expensive, financially and personally.

For me, this really is a case of:

"WARNING:
This part has been designed and is intended for off-highway application only. Installation of this part on a vehicle that is driven on public roads may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to ... motor vehicle safety."

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only worry I have for people doing this and driving on the public roads is that, in case of an accident, your insurance company may really have reasonable grounds to deny coverage for injuries, including death, to you or your passenger. It would certainly become difficult and expensive, financially and personally.

For me, this really is a case of:

"WARNING:
This part has been designed and is intended for off-highway application only. Installation of this part on a vehicle that is driven on public roads may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to ... motor vehicle safety."
Yes, quite true (given the abject greed of insurance companies in general), and something I take for granted any of us doing this know and accept.

But I always wondered if they try to deny coverage to those driving older cars WITHOUT either side, or ANY exploding whoopee cushions at all, and for those claiming that they do not want to chance the injuries the ordinance pillows themselves can cause in even a minor accident.

Will they outright REFUSE to even write you a policy you if you TELL THEM UPFRONT that you are disabling all of the bags, or just 'adjust' your premium to totally impossible to afford levels? [dunno]

Last edited:
I got my corbeaus going in this week. I ran into a little hiccup last week and had to put it on hold. Follow me on IG for more updates.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I got my corbeaus going in this week. I ran into a little hiccup last week and had to put it on hold. Follow me on IG for more updates.
NICE!! [thumb]

Will you still be able to use the factory belts across the TOP of the side bolsters without having to re-route them into the lap belt slots?
(In other words, does the lap portion of the factory belt make full contact with you across the top of those bolsters or not?)

codestp202

So, I have my seat installed, will take pics today. Now I need to figure out how to wire in the resistor. Gonna try a 2.2 ohm.

I need to re-find that thread of whoever said they used the resistor and it worked.

codestp202

Took some pics, also wired in the resistor.

2.2 ohm 1/2 watt (on the recommendation from an engineer friend over 1/4 or 1/8 watt) WILL WORK!!! No airbag light.

I included a couple photos of the stock clip with the resistor wired in (Red shrink tube). Everything works great. The seatbelt was sitting on the seat, but winds up and sits properly. I was able to keep the stock seatbelt mounting point.

The slider and bracket are stock. My stock seat is no longer usable but I have 100% faith that my fabbed seat brackets are just as safe as anything on the market. All grade 8 hardware.
I'm not sure if I'll ever get a different passenger seat. I don't mind how it looks now, and my girlfriend will not enjoy sitting in a bucket seat. I typically drive the car with the upright portion of the rear sets pulled out. The back of the car is almost like a small SUV that I use for my 65 lb dog. And I drive more then 1 person maybe twice a year. The whole back seat assembly bolts back in around 10 minutes. Then when I go to the track I can fit 4 tires/wheels, my tool box, pop up canopy, chairs, all that good stuff.

Took some pics, also wired in the resistor.

2.2 ohm 1/2 watt (on the recommendation from an engineer friend over 1/4 or 1/8 watt) WILL WORK!!! No airbag light.

I included a couple photos of the stock clip with the resistor wired in (Red shrink tube). Everything works great. The seatbelt was sitting on the seat, but winds up and sits properly. I was able to keep the stock seatbelt mounting point.

The slider and bracket are stock. My stock seat is no longer usable but I have 100% faith that my fabbed seat brackets are just as safe as anything on the market. All grade 8 hardware.
I'm not sure if I'll ever get a different passenger seat. I don't mind how it looks now, and my girlfriend will not enjoy sitting in a bucket seat. I typically drive the car with the upright portion of the rear sets pulled out. The back of the car is almost like a small SUV that I use for my 65 lb dog. And I drive more then 1 person maybe twice a year. The whole back seat assembly bolts back in around 10 minutes. Then when I go to the track I can fit 4 tires/wheels, my tool box, pop up canopy, chairs, all that good stuff.

I'm a little lost. I installed my seats today myself. Did you remove all the sensors and harness from the old seat?

Here's mine btw.

codestp202

I'm a little lost. I installed my seats today myself. Did you remove all the sensors and harness from the old seat?

Here's mine btw.
Your setup looks awesome!!
I removed any wiring from the stock seat and cut the wires for the airbag on the stock seat so I could splice the resistor in. However, it has all the stock wiring, I'm just defeating the airbag light.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Which model is that? (Are they new to their lineup, which I have not looked at in a while?)

Those are IMPRESSIVE, and one of the nicer recliners (especially for what Corbeau charges for most seats) I've ever seen! [twothumb]

kevinatfms

The FX1 is not for use with 3 point belts in any situation due to the raised side bolsters at the area where the 3 point crossed your lower abdomen. These raised side edges will bridge the lower belt over your lap instead of laying across your lap. In a crash you will project forward and downward under the lap belt. I hope you plan on grabbing at the least a harness bar and 5 points with an anti-submarine belt. The safest setup would be a 4-6 point roll bar with the harnesses tied into it.

codestp202

The FX1 is not for use with 3 point belts in any situation due to the raised side bolsters at the area where the 3 point crossed your lower abdomen. These raised side edges will bridge the lower belt over your lap instead of laying across your lap. In a crash you will project forward and downward under the lap belt. I hope you plan on grabbing at the least a harness bar and 5 points with an anti-submarine belt. The safest setup would be a 4-6 point roll bar with the harnesses tied into it.
I use it in conjunction with a Schroth 4 point ASM belt specifically made for the Fiesta.

Also I see no warnings on their site about using a 3 point belt, and with the way I kept my stock seat belt connector on the frame rail, the lap belt does not go over my abdomen, it sits just like my stock setup did

kevinatfms

I use it in conjunction with a Schroth 4 point ASM belt specifically made for the Fiesta.

Also I see no warnings on their site about using a 3 point belt, and with the way I kept my stock seat belt connector on the frame rail, the lap belt does not go over my abdomen, it sits just like my stock setup did

Literally in the "Legal" section of their website. Its assumed on all seats that are not factory and use the factory belts. Fixed back should never be worn with a 3 point unless the straps around the abdomen are fed through the seats in the correct fashion.

http://corbeau.com/legal/

Also, the stock 3 point should sit on your lower abdomen flat. If the belt is bridged by the fixed back slat extensions it will not restrain your lower abdomen/HIPS into place during a crash causing your body to "submarine" downward.

Also, what part number Schroth harness? Havent seen a quick fit harness in years for the fixed back seats like the FX-1....https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317 This states that the Fiesta/Focus Quick Fit 4 point harnesses are not for the fixed back seats.....only stock. If you open the instructions and go through the "checklist" on page 3, it asks you if you have the factory seats and mounting locations. The "no" leads you to find a harness that complies with fixed back seats.

I know Trackdaze and SCCA HPDE session will not allow you to use them as installed and most tech inspectors know this when testing your fit in the vehicle. Be safe everyone.

codestp202

Literally in the "Legal" section of their website. Its assumed on all seats that are not factory. Fixed back should never be worn with a 3 point unless the straps around the abdomen are fed through the seats in the correct fashion.

http://corbeau.com/legal/

Also, the stock 3 point should sit on your lower abdomen flat. If the belt is bridged by the fixed back slat extensions it will not restrain your lower abdomen/HIPS into place during a crash causing your body to "submarine" downward.

Also, what part number Schroth harness? Havent seen a quick fit harness in years for the fixed back seats like the FX-1....https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317 This states that the Fiesta/Focus Quick Fit 4 point harnesses are not for the fixed back seats.....only stock. If you open the instructions and go through the "checklist" on page 3, it asks you if you have the factory seats and mounting locations. The "no" leads you to find a harness that complies with fixed back seats.

I know Trackdaze and SCCA HPDE session will not allow you to use them as installed and most tech inspectors know this when testing your fit in the vehicle. Be safe everyone.
Okay I see your point. I had this harness when I was utilizing the stock seat. But doesn't that mean Antrain's seats will have the same issue even though they are reclining?
However, the stock seatbelt does sit flat on my lower abdomen and isn't bridged. I sat in my seat, then the passenger seat, the belt fits the exact same way and is in no way hindered by the fixed seat back.
I can look into feeding the stock 3 point through the side holes as well as the 4 point Schroth. I was very careful with picking out this seat as everything will fit the same with the Schroth harness. Everything will be at the same angles ect. The ASM should still work with no issues. I'm guessing Schroth says not to use this with a fixed back as it was not DOT tested with fixed back but the stock seats. However, I see no issue in how the harness will be setup with my new seat, it will still be within the acceptable angles that the ASM requires and the lap belts will fit in and sit correctly just like my last seat.

What is your advice? Get a 5 point harness? This seat has a slot for a 5 point

kevinatfms

Okay I see your point. I had this harness when I was utilizing the stock seat. But doesn't that mean Antrain's seats will have the same issue even though they are reclining?
However, the stock seatbelt does sit flat on my lower abdomen and isn't bridged.

What is your advice? Get a 5 point harness? This seat has a slot for a 5 point
Antrains seat is in the same boat. It is reclining but has the slots for the 4 points built into the side wings. Anything that raises above the buckle to push the belt off your hips is a no-no. If you had a seat like the Corbeau Sport or even the GTS II seats you are not interfering with the stock 3 point belts ability to retain your lower body in its position during a crash. Corbeau does not carry the FMVSS(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) on any seat because they dont want the liability associated with interfering with the OEM belt operation. They are an off highway seat for a reason.

Another issue with the FX-1 is some of them are not even FIA approved for motorsports use. I believe the FIA seats have a fiberglass or carbon backing to reduce the chance of breakage in a crash using a backbrace that is tied into the cage. You would have to find the FIA rules on the seat requirements.

Go back to the stock seats and use the 4 point Quickfit during motorsports. Use the 3 points for day to day use. This is the safest direction.

If you must keep the FX-1's....a 4-6 point cage with the proper harness mounts(to the body and not the seat track), 5 point harness with ASM belt and the belts tied into the cage's harness bar. Get the welds certified by a shop that knows what they are doing.