Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd front end creaking after Pierce 6pt crossmember install

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Recently installed a Pierce 6pt crossmember on an otherwise stock 2017 FiST, and I'm now experiencing a very odd creaking on sharp steering inputs that tend to twist up the frame. It also happens when turning into an inclined parking lot or driveway. It feels like maybe the 6pt bar has stiffened up the front lower end of the car and now the rest of it is twisting more than before. It almost sounds like it's behind the dash but also sounds like it's a bit deeper under the hood.

It has me confussled. It does not sound like typical suspension noise like sway bar end links or strut mount bearings or tie rod ends... It really just sounds like creaking, but I can't figure out what would cause it.

It doesn't happen over bumps and not even that often. And it didn't happen before the brace.

Solution: more Pierce braces?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you shipped the step of lowering the vehicle slightly before torquing the bolts down to the control arms this will cause that exact same noise you speak of. Or not putting enough torque to the bolts!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Y'all two are exactly right! Well, you're right about insufficient torque. I did lower the car Before I tighten the lower control arm bolts. I thought I really cranked down on them but it was such an awkward angle that I must not have. In fact, I know I did not because I just finished properly torquing them with the car on ramps. They were definitely loose LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk