Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RS-4's or RE71R's

I am going to get one of these tyres and everyone I have spoken too says they are basically interchangeable for grip. But none of them are driving an ST.

I am running auto-cross events no track days and it is my daily driver.

The difference in price is $25 for all 4 so in terms of $$$ they are interchangeable

So calling on the Forum to help or do I just flip a coin!!

Thanks in advance for any and all input

codestp202

If its about saving money, Federal RS-RR's should be considerably cheaper, and unless you're a really really good driver, should give you the same level of grip.

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
Not familiar with the Federals at all -- In fact you are the first one to mention them. Have not seen them on The Tire Rack

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^They are not sold by TR, or DTD, only online/ebay/amazon from certain vendors.

Some independent brick and mortar places might also be able to order them in for you as well.

codestp202

Not familiar with the Federals at all -- In fact you are the first one to mention them. Have not seen them on The Tire Rack
I got 4 from my local race shop, mounted and balanced for $450. How can you beat that?!

onlinetires.com / hotsticktires.com/ carshoez are all some sites that will stock federals. But I prefer to buy them from a shop so I don't have to deal with shipping.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I got 4 from my local race shop, mounted and balanced for $450. How can you beat that?!

onlinetires.com / hotsticktires.com/ carshoez are all some sites that will stock federals. But I prefer to buy them from a shop so I don't have to deal with shipping.
Being where you are located, it is MUCH MUCH easier to find a local shop which would either stock these, or even bother to try to order them in for you.

Most of us outside of the west coast are pretty much limited to those online operations you posted above, and a few more. [:(]

codestp202

Being where you are located, it is MUCH MUCH easier to find a local shop which would either stock these, or even bother to try to order them in for you.

Most of us outside of the west coast are pretty much limited to those online operations you posted above, and a few more. [:(]
Why do you think I left Ohio? [neener]

if your choice is between the rs-4 and the re71r i would chosse the re71r over any other tire that is a street tire. Hands down thats the best tire you can get. only downfall is that they wont last long cause of the soft the soft compound.

The federals are very good tires and they are the best bang for your buck

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Problem with the RSRR is sizing

I'd love them as my track wheels but not size for our car. They do have something if we stay on 17s though

codestp202

I'd love them as my track wheels but not size for our car. They do have something if we stay on 17s though
Are you using 16's for track wheels? They have great sizing in 40 sidewall x 17" wheels

What is the thought behind 16's over 17's for a track tire? Why do you want the extra sidewall?
Significantly lighter weight for a smaller wheel. And most performance wheels have stiff sidewalls even in 45 profile. Also the OEM suspension is pretty stiff so extra sidewall is a good thing in most cases. Softer ride and a little more compliance. Good weight transfer too.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I'd love the; RE71Rs, Rival S 1.5s, R888/888R/RA-1s, or even the Pilot Super Sports, Extreme Contact Sports, or Indy 500s, problem is that ALL of those companies REFUSE to make them in the size(s) I need (either a 215/40-17, or 225/40-17), so I am on the RS-RRs. ;)

RE-71R's are by far and away the most favored street-legal track tire on the market right now. The amount of grip they produce is simply insane. However - if you do get the RE-71R's know that they wont last. I've not bought them but my brother had them on his Mini Cooper GP for track only use and corded them within a season. I'll be putting an order in for Dunlop ZII Star Specs soon as these have a slightly smaller amount of grip compared to the RE-71R's but last a whole heck of a lot longer. Just my 0.02