Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed's x-47R Turbo / 100th Turbo Milestone

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Update from PumaSpeed (7/21/2017)

After just over 6 months of consistent developing we have hit a real milestone with turbo number 100 rolling of the pumaspeed production line.

This model is probably the final iteration of the x47 and is actually number 100.

The x-47r is a full fat race version with a higher power band from 2800-7500 rather than the usual 2500-7000

The line up is now as follows...

x-47

x-47 plus

x-47r race

The 46 mm red hard anodised compressor wheels only feature in the plus and the r models vs the 43mm on the regular x-47.

The larger wheels combined with the differing machining and porting and the two larger models increase the ability to flow the extra gases to deliver much stronger top end power.

Typically there is around 10-20 bhp difference between the lower spec x-47 and the top spec x-47r.
X-47R.jpg

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Congrats t them and all their success. Sounds like a c39 comp wheel with the X47 turbine. Deadly setup.

Brura22

Alright let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Reliability!

I think this is a serious discussion to have with this new "R" product.

Hybrids are KNOWN on all platforms to sacrifice turbo reliability because you're starting to spin the mechanical components within a little bit faster than normal, and when you really start going all out on the turbo setups like this, you start spinning the components to damn near limits.

Sourskittle even told me straight up he didn't expect his C39's to last past 80k because they just aren't meant to be moving as fast as they are.

I've even had two of the pro tuners I use tell me they think the original X47 was already spinning too fast and sacrificing life span.
I'm not talking failure after 30k or something.

But where your Garrett core might last 150k, these suckers might start burning oil after 70k..

Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reliability!

Hybrids are KNOWN on all platforms to sacrifice turbo reliability because you're starting to spin the mechanical components within a little bit faster than normal, and when you really start going all out on the turbo setups like this, you start spinning the components to damn near limits.

Sourskittle even told me straight up he didn't expect his C39's to last past 80k because they just aren't meant to be moving as fast as they are.

I've even had two of the pro tuners I use tell me they think the original X47 was already spinning too fast and sacrificing life span.

But where your Garrett core might last 150k, these suckers might start burning oil after 70k..

I understand your concerns, and this may be more of an issue in the states where much higher mileages are carried out compared to the UK. 4 years after its launch, most are no more than 50-60k, and I may be wrong, but me personally I don't use my car as a long distance daily driver. I'm confident that a well made and balanced hybrid turbo will last as long as I have the car if well looked after. And if it needs a rebuild after 50k, its not going to break the bank. I wouldn't sacrifice the spool and drive-ability of my 47+, its ease of fitment and fun I have with this set up.

A7xogg

Reliability!

Larger wheel= more surface area = more induction air= more hp at same shaft speed. Mabye a slightly thicker oil may help with the added weight at speed, idk just thinking out loud. Btw anyone local to you have a hybrid setup? I would love to see the visual difference of ur car vs a x37/47

Brura22

Larger wheel= more surface area = more induction air= more hp at same shaft speed. Mabye a slightly thicker oil may help with the added weight at speed, idk just thinking out loud. Btw anyone local to you have a hybrid setup? I would love to see the visual difference of ur car vs a x37/47
I used to have an x37.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Reliability!

The above may not be a concern for the majority on here who will not even keep these cars past 40K miles of ownership (IF that!) before putting it back to stock and dumping it for the next latest and greatest hot hatch out there.

Others (like myself) on the other hand MUST consider the above, since we may not even install an aftermarket turbo kit until we have owned this car for 50K+ miles/5+ years, and it may be the last car we are even allowed to EVER own (due to circumstance/finances/VERY fixed incomes/etc.).

Also, the above is that much more motivation to keep the power levels 'sane' (like BELOW 310 to the wheels peak), in order to preserve the costly; internals, longblock, and drive train components as well. [wink]

Damn....I thought I'd be safe with x47+ now there's an even better one!

So if these flow to 700-7500 is there a benefit to revving that high? Still have the stock limiter 6500ish? In my tune.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

So if these flow to 700-7500 is there a benefit to revving that high? Still have the stock limiter 6500ish? In my tune.
Even though most on here say otherwise, it would make sense that eventually the cams/head would have to become an airflow limiting factor somewhere along the line, not to mention the balance/strength of the factory; rotating assembly/crank damper/flywheel. [dunno]

That may depend on your tuning and hardware as well, my X47+ makes peak power at 7375rpm..

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
There are ways to keep doing this... Imagine, for a moment, the X-47S. Same thing, but now you get a bigger inlet and 5 more whp. Or the X-47+ that comes with a bigger wastegate disk AND a bigger inlet allowing another 15whp. The X-57 then comes along with all that, and includes a fancy new exhaust housing, that's roughly the same dimensions, but this one is cast specifically for the application and now we've got a hybrid turbo trying to claim 350whp. If Sour responds, this won't stop.

And now I've talked myself out of the iPhone 7 Plus.
From 16 December 2016... I was one letter off. Backwards on the nomenclature too.

No hatred, btw. Just thought it was funny.

My x37 just took a shit after 20k. I'm having to buy a stock turbo for now to see what's gonna be on the market soon. If pumaspeed had better customer service and actually had gotten back to me after emailing them about the issue then I'd might consider this option. Now, I'm just gonna eliminate hybrids from my build and more than likely go with a Vargas turbo when that comes out.

Brura22

My x37 failed after 8k.
Seal failed and started burning oil like hell.

[MENTION=1582]DloST[/MENTION] how did your x37 fail we need to know these things!
Could've been a combination of not enough preload on the wastegate to just the turbo seals just simply failing. Just started blowing smoke like crazy one day and hasn't stop. Anyone behind my car on the 101 or 405 freeways definitely hates me and my little blue car lol.

All failures are dealt with directly thru me on my usual email address

As far as I am concerned I cannot recall any x37 failures that I have been made aware of

I have seen 2 x X 47 failures so far of which both have been put down to overspinning or oil issues within the first few hours of tuning / usage .

Both were fixed by us and the turbos returned direct to customers at a minor cost somewhere close to 250 pounds

The golden rule is quite simple

If you tell us
We will fix it

Just send the unit to us

We are here to support our units, 100 plus sold in six months is a brilliant achievement