Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed's x-47R Turbo / 100th Turbo Milestone

All failures are dealt with directly thru me on my usual email address

As far as I am concerned I cannot recall any x37 failures that I have been made aware of

I have seen 2 x X 47 failures so far of which both have been put down to overspinning or oil issues within the first few hours of tuning / usage .

Both were fixed by us and the turbos returned direct to customers at a minor cost somewhere close to 250 pounds

The golden rule is quite simple

If you tell us
We will fix it

Just send the unit to us

We are here to support our units, 100 plus sold in six months is a brilliant achievement
I emailed you guys twice last week with no reply.

No emails received on our side

I won't respond usually on here as there are far too many platforms and message boards to monitor
So either email or messenger or best is old school phone call..

Brura22

I didn't contact puma. I purchased mine through Adam.
It blew up, sold it to Sourskittle and he rebuilt it and sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based

All failures are dealt with directly thru me on my usual email address

As far as I am concerned I cannot recall any x37 failures that I have been made aware of

I have seen 2 x X 47 failures so far of which both have been put down to overspinning or oil issues within the first few hours of tuning / usage .

Both were fixed by us and the turbos returned direct to customers at a minor cost somewhere close to 250 pounds

The golden rule is quite simple

If you tell us
We will fix it

Just send the unit to us

We are here to support our units, 100 plus sold in six months is a brilliant achievement
Any advice on NOT breaking them? This is my daily lol

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Reliability is my main concern. I have a fairly far commute and I plan on continuing that after an upgraded snail.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Lifespans are getting shorter and shorter.
We dont seem to have this issue here in the uk.
i have track cars that have done 20K hard miles and no issues still.

A Daily car should be running 1.8 bar peak and steady 1.7-1.75, ,2 bar is over spinning
what Wastegates are you running ? 17 psi is too strong for our cars over here
what peak boost levels are you running ?
has a boost pipe ever blown off and spiked the Boost

What oils and temps are these things hitting ?

we only run 11 psi at the most and have never killed a unit even flat out..

has the unit come back to us to inspect it ?

Brura22

We dont seem to have this issue here in the uk.
i have track cars that have done 20K hard miles and no issues still.

A Daily car should be running 1.8 bar peak and steady 1.7-1.75, ,2 bar is over spinning
what Wastegates are you running ? 17 psi is too strong for our cars over here
what peak boost levels are you running ?
has a boost pipe ever blown off and spiked the Boost

What oils and temps are these things hitting ?

we only run 11 psi at the most and have never killed a unit even flat out..

has the unit come back to us to inspect it ?
MOST here running hybrids use the Turbosmart 17 psi WG.
And probably push 24-27 psi out of them while utilizing meth or ethanol e30.
Are you saying this is too much?

With our Accessports and remote tuning capabilities stateside, everyone is trying to get these hybrids to run over 330 WHP.

MOST here running hybrids use the Turbosmart 17 psi WG.
And probably push 24-27 psi out of them while utilizing meth or ethanol e30.
Are you saying this is too much?

With our Accessports and remote tuning capabilities stateside, everyone is trying to get these hybrids to run over 330 WHP.

X47 295-300 whp
the X47 as most USA customers are using isnt rated at over 300whp, we religiously see 295 whp.
boost level are perfect at 1.75 (25.4psi) lowering to 1.65 or 1.7 bar at 295 whp
*we use 11 psi waste gates only ,we have tried the 17 and its just too strong for us.

The wheels are not designed to flow over this amount on the X47 and as we cannot supply your calibrations we cannot be sure your tuner isnt over spinning at your and our expense.

X47 Plus 300-305whp
The X47 Plus with its larger RED compressor wheel and better flowing exhaust wheel is rated at over 300whp and has produced this many times here in Europe, there are a few of these in the USA but not that many as it was only released 2-3 months ago

The X47-R 310-315whp
This has some further flow improvements to the exhaust to add more exhaust flow and uses he RED compressor wheel from the above

I am trying one more very radical development to a race cars X47-R this week to enable it to run a little more, but i believe this will create another 200 revs of delayed spool which would be of course ok for track work but until we finally test it i am not 100% to whether this filters down into the X47-R to create more top end.

X47 295-300 whp
the X47 as most USA customers are using isnt rated at over 300whp, we religiously see 295 whp.
boost level are perfect at 1.75 (25.4psi) lowering to 1.65 or 1.7 bar at 295 whp
*we use 11 psi waste gates only ,we have tried the 17 and its just too strong for us.

The wheels are not designed to flow over this amount on the X47 and as we cannot supply your calibrations we cannot be sure your tuner isnt over spinning at your and our expense.

X47 Plus 300-305whp
The X47 Plus with its larger RED compressor wheel and better flowing exhaust wheel is rated at over 300whp and has produced this many times here in Europe, there are a few of these in the USA but not that many as it was only released 2-3 months ago

The X47-R 310-315whp
This has some further flow improvements to the exhaust to add more exhaust flow and uses he RED compressor wheel from the above

I am trying one more very radical development to a race cars X47-R this week to enable it to run a little more, but i believe this will create another 200 revs of delayed spool which would be of course ok for track work but until we finally test it i am not 100% to whether this filters down into the X47-R to create more top end.
i wish we had your fuel quality! gotta run ethanol blends to see that much power.

so im running the x47+ at 26psi(1.79 bar?) up to 6500rpm. is that pushing it past its limits?

6500 is a low rev limit, you can push harder than that
1.8 peak is good level.
i would leave it there...

Based

So basically, everyone should get the 11psi actuator? Any idea on lifespan of it with 11psi actuator?

I think what tony is saying, is that a 17psi actuator is too strong - It may not be opening the waste gate enough at high rpms, nor have they done enough long term testing on this actuator to recommend it.

My head says having a very strong spring isn't going to divert much volume of exhaust gas at high rpm, potentially over spinning the turbine wheel as well as running much hotter, this alone is going to drastically affect the lifespan of the unit. You have a boost control solenoid, use it to your advantage ! Too much pre-load doesn't have any benefit at all if a 10psi set up can still achieve 24psi by 2500rpm and prevent the wastegate from creeping open at higher load and rpm. It's a balance.

It goes without saying that running such high WHP means ensuring that the supporting set up is able to cope with that. For me, it means a higher quality ester based oil with better ability to cope with higher oil temps without breaking down and with more regular changes, it means a more thorough warm up and cool down procedure. It means if i'm on track, i'm running a sump baffle because of the much higher speeds involved (I've seen 3 engines in the past year suffer with big end failure after track use due to oil starvation) this also means a potential disruption of oil supply to the turbo and start doing that too often, the turbo isn't going to like it.

No-one with a hybrid is going to run their car like a stock one, its going to be flat out near enough every time its driven. As the OP on his Insta post , 16,000 miles of abuse. I think there is more to it that just 'blowing' and it needs fully inspecting to verify the cause of failure rather than speculation.

So basically, everyone should get the 11psi actuator? Any idea on lifespan of it with 11psi actuator?

There have been zero cases reported in the UK with X47 failure. The nature of social media being what it is, it would definitely be in the public domain. Using a 17psi actuator here is also unheard of.

I already have my x47r here in the states. I plan on installing it within 2 weeks. Will be tuned on 91 and e30. Tune + will be my tuner. I am jumping from my trusty ole x37 to the 47r. I'm sure the power will be a noticeable change. I'll keep you all informed on the progress. The x37 is already spoken for so don't ask...lol.