Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford says Fiesta won't return for 2018

Spoke on the phone with a local sales rep earlier today and after some banter and light prodding he said he had just recieved the 2018 order sheet. We were specifically talking about STs to clarify.
Your local sales rep is misinformed. As pretty much all of them have been throughout the entire time Fiesta was offered in North America.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Your local sales rep is misinformed. As pretty much all of them have been throughout the entire time Fiesta was offered in North America.

Are you positive on this? This subject still seems like a lot of hear say.

As a FORD stockholder I understand their decision.
The current craze for SUVs is still in full force, and the EcoSport should sell very well at 19.995, and will help their CAFE more than the Fiesta.
And that price is $5K higher than a base fiesta, and I'll bet incentives will be minimal, so more profit.
Why it took them so long to bring that car here I don't know, it's been made in India and Brazil for many years.
It would be nice if they offered a Manual in the Ecosport, Jeep and Kia do, but not mazda.

90% of Fiestas are sold in Europe, and they don't have to offer huge rebates to sell them there. So why bother in the US, besides the US version is made in Mexico, and we all know how our glorious leader feels about that.
It's a smart move on Fords part if demand changes in the US, it should be relatively quick to offer the Europe version in the US
Maybe someday soon, SUV's will become as distasteful as the Minivan is today.

Yes, the current gen Fiesta sticks around for another year in the U.S. We are a year behind the European market. 2018 is the same as 2017.

https://www.motor1.com/news/179475/2018-ford-fiesta-us-revealed/
Yeah! At least I'll be able to order exactly what I want. And seems like there is this goodie as well: "The only little exception here is the reverse camera that is now standard on all trim levels."

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe someday soon, SUV's will become as distasteful as the Minivan is today.
Sadly, I doubt this since it seems to be some kind of hypnotic, brainwashed, lemming GROUP THINK going on with U.S. consumers in regards to this obsession with their rolling tanks. [:(] [mad]

People love their SUV's. But, station wagons of any size? Not so much. I am way out of step with the mainstream market! Every wagon I ever had was extremely handy and easy to live with. AWD is the only functional difference, and I don't care for the added weight and cost of it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am way out of step with the mainstream market!
Same here, as I don't think that having the latest/greatest, changing every 3 months, iPhone whatever, and top of the line, $3500.00+ Mac Book are necessary in order to survive in today's world. ;)
I also do not listen to ANY 'pop' ClearChannel, or Sinclair stations either.

But, I would not mind a PROPER, but lighter weight, AWD system in a car the size of ours, given enough power to overcome any of the added mass disadvantages.

Yes, the current gen Fiesta sticks around for another year in the U.S. We are a year behind the European market. 2018 is the same as 2017.

https://www.motor1.com/news/179475/2018-ford-fiesta-us-revealed/

I think this is a good thing for us ST owners. Every year that our model of ST sticks around means more available parts in the future. I always worry about limited editions and parts for some reason.....

-Ski

People love their SUV's. But, station wagons of any size? Not so much. I am way out of step with the mainstream market! Every wagon I ever had was extremely handy and easy to live with. AWD is the only functional difference, and I don't care for the added weight and cost of it.
And most SUVs have no need for AWD anyway. It's just another feature the manufacturers have convinced the public they need. In reality, most will never take advantage of it and it's just another thing that can fail. My gf has the AWD version of the CR-V and has never taken it off road and almost never drives in snow. And now she is bitching about having to pay a few hundred bucks to have the transmission and rear differential fluid changed. Ugh.

Anyway, back on topic. I'll be really surprised if this rumor of the Fiesta continuing in the US proves true. Sales have been nose diving and the margins must be razor thin to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even break even on it this year after all the discounts they've been offering. Maybe it is purely to meet fuel economy standards, but I expect Trump to have completely dismantled the EPA by this time next year anyway. I suppose that's a big risk for Ford to take though.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
but I expect Trump to have completely dismantled the EPA by this time next year anyway
That's IF he's still in office/power at that time. LOL
But Lurch (Pence), and the next in line Randian Hypocrite Fratboy (Ryan), would probably do the same, so yeah.

The big appeal,to me, of the Fiesta was the fuel economy and light Weight. I don't like hybrids. The cost of em' and the added complexity to get roughly the same fuel economy as a basic Fiesta that has far better driving dynamics than any hybrid. I've driven all the hybrid cars. I fully understand and appreciate the amount of engineering that was employed to create them. But, I'm not interested in owning one.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's IF he's still in office/power at that time. LOL
But Lurch (Pence), and the next in line Randian Hypocrite Fratboy (Ryan), would probably do the same, so yeah.
It's up to the Republican House of Representatives to do that. They very well may decide that colluding with a foreign power and obstructing justice is not illegal enough to impeach. After all, there's no accountability since they've pretty well gerrymandered the districts. It won't much matter what they do; they'll still get elected.

Last edited:
The big appeal,to me, of the Fiesta was the fuel economy and light Weight. I don't like hybrids. The cost of em' and the added complexity to get roughly the same fuel economy as a basic Fiesta that has far better driving dynamics than any hybrid. I've driven all the hybrid cars. I fully understand and appreciate the amount of engineering that was employed to create them. But, I'm not interested in owning one.
I drove a 2005 Prius for 7 years, and I can say without hesitation that it was the most unreliable car I've ever owned.
And once the basic warranty runs out the dealer hoses you for repairs, very few independent shop are qualified to work on a Prius.
And it cost 50% more that my 2016 fiesta (not even adjusting for inflation) And the MPG wasn't that great.

I drove a 2005 Prius for 7 years, and I can say without hesitation that it was the most unreliable car I've ever owned.
And once the basic warranty runs out the dealer hoses you for repairs, very few independent shop are qualified to work on a Prius.
And it cost 50% more that my 2016 fiesta (not even adjusting for inflation) And the MPG wasn't that great.
They didn't hose you on the repair costs. That's just what it costs to own a hybrid car! The pancake hybrid drive motor that is situated between the engine and transmission costs 5 thousand dollars. That's not the installed price. Hybrid cars are not cost effective for the average person.

I think many people fail to understand what they are getting into when purchasing a hybrid vehicle. There are a whole lot of compromises built into a hybrid vehicle. G.M. was so wary of scaring off potential buyers that they would not publicly discuss whether the Volt ice engine was actually connected to the driveline or if it just powered a generator that provided electricity to the drive motor. They took advantage of the publics unfamiliarity with these products.