Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford says Fiesta won't return for 2018

Thats ok, the taillights looked awful on the 2018 - and really - a 3 cylinder, plus did I mention those taillights.

I have understood the Fiesta replacement would be a crossover suv that is smaller than the Escape. I think that the small SUV market is sliced about as thin as possible with this one! And it will probably take sales from the C-Max and Focus hatchback. As long as there's​ no Powershift transaxle type debacles, it should be a good seller.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Even if the '18 ST had been brought here, our '14 through '17 would have been unique.
Now we're even more so.
I look at it as a positive.
I wish I could see it as you guys do, but I cannot. No more FoRS, and no more FiST bums me out. Maybe one positive is that our cars will perhaps hold their values a little better now? What's left of the 17s might sell quick. Does anyone know when they're going to stop production for the 17s?

My wife, and I test drove a FoST last night, and we both agreed that it actually felt slower than a stock FiST. After reading this, we might just buy another FiST instead. Maybe owning two FiSTs will be a good idea lol

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford says Fiesta won't return to America for the 2018 model year

"Demand for such vehicles is declining, and we are reacting accordingly," explained one of Ford's top engineers.

When Ford introduced the updated Fiesta last fall, it made absolutely no mention of the U.S.-spec model. One of the company's top engineers has just revealed that's because the smallest member of the Blue Oval's American lineup will not return for the 2018 model year.

"The previous model was a global Ford product, and with the new generation, we are targeting only Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In North America -- especially in the U.S. --, China, and Latin America, the demand for such vehicles is declining, and we are reacting accordingly," explained Robert Stiller, Ford's B-segment vehicle program manager.

AutoEvolution reports Fiesta sales have dropped significantly in the last few years. They peaked in 2013, when 71,073 examples were sold in the United States. Last year, Ford only managed to move 48,807 Fiestas.

Dropping the Fiesta in the United States makes it no longer necessary to build a four-door sedan model, which saves the Blue Oval money. Moving forward, the city-friendly Ford will exclusively be available as a two- or a four-door hatchback.

That means America has lost one of its smallest hot hatches, too. The Fiesta ST (pictured) soldiers on abroad, but it trades its turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine for a 1.5-liter three-cylinder.

An official announcement from Ford about the Fiesta's demise on our shores is expected to come in the next few weeks.

OP
McSwine
Thread Starter #13
To the Mod that changed my thread title: Thank you.

Drunk posting late at night is never a good thing.

Still sucks, tho. I was intrigued by the 3 cylinder turbo.

I wish I could see it as you guys do, but I cannot. No more FoRS, and no more FiST bums me out. Maybe one positive is that our cars will perhaps hold their values a little better now? What's left of the 17s might sell quick. Does anyone know when they're going to stop production for the 17s?

My wife, and I test drove a FoST last night, and we both agreed that it actually felt slower than a stock FiST. After reading this, we might just buy another FiST instead. Maybe owning two FiSTs will be a good idea lol
Truth, I have a 15 fist and fost, get another fiesta. even at 400hp, the focus feels like a pig in comparison.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This makes me sad for two reasons. First, this is a great car, it will be sad to see it go. Second, it would be nice to know I could get another one if mine got totalled. I don't know what I would get if that happened, I'd probably look for a good used one, but very few people take care of a car as well as I do.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Well now I won't be annoyed if the 2018 came out and was better then my 17

Now if companies that would start making car parts for me

Oh man did I get lucky.. Bought mine Thursday of last week. Granted, mine is a CPO'd 2016 (only has 8k on it). But I do like the idea of owning a somewhat "rare" car. I dont see too many of them to begin with. I saw maybe 3 up in the Seattle/PNW area in 5 years. I've seen about 6 or 7 in Vegas in like 4 months, lol.

Agree full heartedly

Even if the '18 ST had been brought here, our '14 through '17 would have been unique.
Now we're even more so.
I look at it as a positive.
I love this car and the fact that there won't be a second generation to taint the waters makes it even better. We have what we have, and now it's up to Cobb and the other aftermarket tuners to make it better.

meh, it was only a matter of time. *pours one out*

Now what I want to know is how is where does this niche go from here? Are Dealers going to jack prices up, or drop them further? Will Tuners and Vendors move on to the next new thing? Will current FiST owners sell and for how much? Will prices drop so low true fans can all buy one for each driving discipline? Will Ford introduce an Ecosport ST? Will nobody else care until 10 years from now when FiSTs start showing up on Craigslist "I know what I have". Will people still mistake it for a Focus?!???

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
aligns with what I have been saying for the past year, or at least since last fall. When I asked about the next gen Fiesta at a media event for the EcoSport, I got a blank stare and the person went to the next person's question. Cheap gas prices, low sales, huge demand for crossovers, risk of NAFTA changes, America's attitude that bigger is always better, and no mention of the MkVIII Fiesta for the NA market were all indicators this was going to happen. Also, there was Mark Fields, who generally disliked small cars. I saw what he did to the original Focus and it was repeating on the Fiesta, except instead of just making it a cheap rental car, they just killed it. Ford is also changing to becoming a mobility company and not a car company. They see a future with less car owners and more ride sharing/ride hailing/autonomous operation. If you enjoy owning a car, driving a car, working on cars, or doing anything with a car other than riding in the back seat, then the future is not going to be fun.