Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

isimpoi's ST300+ project

It all started off with a bone stock 2015 Fiesta ST-3 in Spirit blue

Found out quickly that it's a great little handling car and nippy but had a lot more to offer in the power department.

So started searching around for ST180 parts and first few mods consisted of a Supersport Milltek exhaust, Airtec Stage 3 Intercooler, H&R 35mm springs

Fitted a boost gauge also but may need a new one as getting a lot of buzz from it

Upgraded the front brakes to the ST170 ones using SiCo Developments adaptor plates. May need to adjust them further as I feel the caliper doesn't cover enough of the disc but could be normal?

Have a Collins Performance lower engine mount
I did like the H&R springs but upgraded to JOM coilovers to get slightly better handling and more low's.

Other visual mods I've done are:
- Split headlights sprayed black
- TRC eyebrows and V3 splitter
- Sprayed gloss black mirrors & fog plastics & rear diffuser
- Bola B10 alloys
- Tinted front and rear lights
- Gloss black wrapped roof and bumper lip
- Dimpled & Grooved front discs

So this is where I'm at with the car as of July 2017. Picture from showing my car at the Scottish Car Show 2017

Next mods will be fitting my AS Tubular manifold and buying the X-47R to go with it, Stage 4 / possible custom mapping, hot side intercooler piping and a custom vinyl wrap design I've designed myself.

Upgraded the front brakes to the ST170 ones using SiCo Developments adaptor plates. May need to adjust them further as I feel the caliper doesn't cover enough of the disc but could be normal?

Just the picture I was looking for...
Not sure you can "adjust" them since they are fixed on the bracket. Are those the stock calipers?
My question is how is the braking with the kit?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
It may be the angle but from the image of the caliper and brake disc it looks like the brake pads runs off the edge of the disc?

OP
I
Thread Starter #4
Just the picture I was looking for...
Not sure you can "adjust" them since they are fixed on the bracket. Are those the stock calipers?
My question is how is the braking with the kit?
it's the ST170 calipers, yea not sure how I'll adjust them yet. May use the SiCo brackets I bought and make my own version using a bit of metal. Brakes are stronger or at least I feel I'm using less brakes / putting my foot not as firm on the brake pedal to slow down as before.

It may be the angle but from the image of the caliper and brake disc it looks like the brake pads runs off the edge of the disc?
Yea it is slightly off the disc and there is a perfect circle of non used disc just underneath so defo feeling it's not right. May message SiCo to get a second opinion

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
So update on the front brake "upgrade", I contacted SiCo and they said they would mock one up to see but not heard anything back as of yet. They did note that all development was done using the Mondeo Calipers not the ST170 one's but they should still fit. Got mondeo calipers to test fit tomorrow so will update on that asap.

The pads are definitely running off the disc and someone did say why not just go for a bigger disc but unsure on what sort of discs I could get that are 4 stud and around 310 to 320mm? [dunno] plus that's only fixing the pads being off the disc there will still be un even wear on the disc itself around the inside lip

Good News however is that I bit the bullet and ordered the X-47R so shall get some pics of that once it arrives [thumb]

So update on the front brake "upgrade", I contacted SiCo and they said they would mock one up to see but not heard anything back as of yet. They did note that all development was done using the Mondeo Calipers not the ST170 one's but they should still fit. Got mondeo calipers to test fit tomorrow so will update on that asap.

The pads are definitely running off the disc and someone did say why not just go for a bigger disc but unsure on what sort of discs I could get that are 4 stud and around 310 to 320mm? [dunno] plus that's only fixing the pads being off the disc there will still be un even wear on the disc itself around the inside lip

Good News however is that I bit the bullet and ordered the X-47R so shall get some pics of that once it arrives [thumb]
Geez I've sent like 7 emails to SICO and barely get any response that even half answers my questions....hopefully the kit at least ships tomorrow.
Good luck with the turbo all the reviews rock!

OP
I
Thread Starter #7
Geez I've sent like 7 emails to SICO and barely get any response that even half answers my questions....hopefully the kit at least ships tomorrow.
Good luck with the turbo all the reviews rock!
I've been struggling to get replies also but I've found messaging them via their Facebook messenger I've gotten more replies.

I know can't wait to get it on now. Got a tubular manifold also so the whole kit will look awesome

OP
I
Thread Starter #8
So had a chance to mock up the Mondeo Calipers on the 300mm discs and same sort of issue again but Mondeo Calipers pads fit on the disc a lot better than ST170 Calipers. But yet they still don't fully cover the disc and leave a ring around the centre like so:

So I'm going to have to drill out the holes on SiCo's brake adapters since these are in my opinion not well designed and not a direct fit kit. I think by boring out the centre hole and possibly even the top and hub hole slightly it will lower the Caliper that 3-5mm that is needs to cover the entire disc

Overall the complete setup was Ā£220 / <$300 (Ā£30 for used Mondeo Calipers, Ā£90 for Discs & Pads, Ā£55 for adapter plates, Ā£45 HEL Braided lines)

So my recommendation is if you do want to go for a bigger brake setup for cheap get all the above but make your own adaptor plates as SiCo's kit is not direct fit and very annoyed it isn't, as on their website it says it is simple solution for ST180. If you do opt for SiCo's kit use the Mondeo Calipers as they were designed around them and are best fit over the ST170 Calipers, I'd just stay clear of using the ST170 one's as the pads sit half off the disc and leave a big gap around the centre of the disc

So had a chance to mock up the Mondeo Calipers on the 300mm discs and same sort of issue again but Mondeo Calipers pads fit on the disc a lot better than ST170 Calipers. But yet they still don't fully cover the disc and leave a ring around the centre like so:

So I'm going to have to drill out the holes on SiCo's brake adapters since these are in my opinion not well designed and not a direct fit kit. I think by boring out the centre hole and possibly even the top and hub hole slightly it will lower the Caliper that 3-5mm that is needs to cover the entire disc

Overall the complete setup was Ā£220 / <$300 (Ā£30 for used Mondeo Calipers, Ā£90 for Discs & Pads, Ā£55 for adapter plates, Ā£45 HEL Braided lines)

So my recommendation is if you do want to go for a bigger brake setup for cheap get all the above but make your own adaptor plates as SiCo's kit is not direct fit and very annoyed it isn't, as on their website it says it is simple solution for ST180. If you do opt for SiCo's kit use the Mondeo Calipers as they were designed around them and are best fit over the ST170 Calipers, I'd just stay clear of using the ST170 one's as the pads sit half off the disc and leave a big gap around the centre of the disc
Hmmmm

OP
I
Thread Starter #10
So the X-47R has arrived and looks great [biggrin]

Options I went for was Black Annodised Housing, 7psi Actuator, GFB DV+, New Red Annodised Compressor billet wheel

Going to be fitting it on Monday/Tuesday so fingers crossed everything goes to plan. Need to learn how to set up pre-load as I have no clue about that part of the build [dunno]

Let the fun begin [wiggle]

Options I went for was Black Annodised Housing, 7psi Actuator, GFB DV+, New Red Annodised Compressor billet wheel

Going to be fitting it on Monday/Tuesday so fingers crossed everything goes to plan. Need to learn how to set up pre-load as I have no clue about that part of the build [dunno]

Very nice and Red Wheel equals +5hp! Jk just jealous!

OP
I
Thread Starter #12
Very nice and Red Wheel equals +5hp! Jk just jealous!
It's a shame all the X-47+'s are going to come with the option for a red wheel anyways haha. Only thing that makes the X47R "limited edition" is the black anodised housing and 46mm wheel over 45mm I believe

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club

When you take off the stock WGA just make note of how much pressure was applied to keep the gate shut - apply roughly the same amount to your Turbosmart WGA through threading down the nuts and you'll be fine. I just guessed at mine (and my friends) and it's doing the job properly.

Initially I had mine JUST barely putting pressure on the opening but when I took off the stock one I realized it was preloaded a fair bit - crawled under the car and turned the nut to tighten it down and it was fine after. I didn't want to pull the turbo!

OP
I
Thread Starter #14
When you take off the stock WGA just make note of how much pressure was applied to keep the gate shut - apply roughly the same amount to your Turbosmart WGA through threading down the nuts and you'll be fine. I just guessed at mine (and my friends) and it's doing the job properly.

Initially I had mine JUST barely putting pressure on the opening but when I took off the stock one I realized it was preloaded a fair bit - crawled under the car and turned the nut to tighten it down and it was fine after. I didn't want to pull the turbo!
Thank you very much for that [like] I stupidly didn't take note of where the original one was so did a guess job myself haha. So gonna take it to a friend who knows a fair bit about turbos for a second opinion on where I've set it haha

OP
I
Thread Starter #15
So managed to get x-47R installed and in all honesty... I expected more [dunno]

Got my mapping changed over to Pumaspeed's X-47 map and went out for a couple test runs. And when I put the foot down the power comes on quite strong but not pin you in the seat strong. I guess I was expecting a more "holy crap this is stupid quick" feel but it's not quite what I'd hoped. It does feel quicker don't get me wrong but my butt dyno only feels like I've maybe upped my power to 260-270bhp from 240bhp, like I don't get the feeling this turbo has transformed my car into a 300+bhp monster. I may need to adjust actuator slightly more possibly.

According to my boost gauge I'm running 26-27psi with a peak of 28psi but according to my OBD data logger it's saying im only getting 22.7psi so wondering if gauge is wrong and actuator does need adjusting to get that missing feeling of power. Either way I'm wanting to get rid of this flat feel I get when on boost, my even need to look into other Turbo's [???:)]

OP
I
Thread Starter #18
Sounds to me like something isn't quite right. Have you asked Puma what they think the issue might be?
Have you seen Kidders' post about his x47? He's in the UK and maybe he can help you.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/11791-PumaSpeed-X-47-Hybrid-Turbo-Thread/page75
No haven't really had a chance yet. I'm hoping to get it on a dyno asap to get some proper figures to see what sorta power / torque and how it's being delivered across the power band. It may be due to the small turbo only building up torque until the tail end of 3k revs then dies off where as I'm used to my previous cars building torque along side horsepower up into the high end of the rev range.

All will come to light soon fingers crossed.

No haven't really had a chance yet. I'm hoping to get it on a dyno asap to get some proper figures to see what sorta power / torque and how it's being delivered across the power band. It may be due to the small turbo only building up torque until the tail end of 3k revs then dies off where as I'm used to my previous cars building torque along side horsepower up into the high end of the rev range.

All will come to light soon fingers crossed.
Please give an update when you can, we'd all like to see what you find out. :)

Get on the dyno, you probably just need a pro tune or a revision.

Is Puma doing your tune as well?