Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Focus SE vs Ford Fiesta ST

Hello, everyone!

I'm new here and I wanted to ask you all a couple of questions and was hoping I could get some help. Currently, I am 18 years old and going into the Coast Guard (leaving for basic in two days) and I drive a Ford Focus SE that has many creature comfort options on it. It is a 5-speed manual and since I have bought it I have gotten more and more into cars and when I started I thought my humble SE was good enough to keep me happy with its power output, well I really am not. I love my Focus but I believe that getting a Fiesta ST will allow me to grow as an auto enthusiast as there are many modifications that can be done on it. What attracts me to the Fiesta is the fact that the community is so great and supportive, also a number of modifications by companies that know what they are doing. I still need practicality and the fiesta is quite smaller than its bigger brother the focus and wanted to know if it was good enough for you guys out there. I am an avid outdoorsman and love to camp, fish, snowboard, kayak and mountain bike if that helps define what practicality is to me. Also is insurance expensive for the Fiesta ST? I currently pay $200 a month for my focus as I am 18 and have one accident under my belt (I was at fault). I will also be daily driving this car wherever I am stationed, is it good in snow? Is it good in inclement weather? I am 5' 6'' so anyone sitting behind me is pretty good on leg room when I sat in the fiesta today at the dealership but if someone was 6' sitting in the passenger seat would the person in the back be squished?

I really appreciate all of the info you could give me!

Thanks!

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
An NA MK3 Focus is a fun car in it's own right. For $200 you can do a snorkel delete paired w/a drop-in filter; RMM insert; and a stouter rear sway. These 3 things will change driving dynamics. The snorkel delete/drop-in has been dyno proven at an 8 whp increase, and if your Focus is flex fuel, running straight E85 has been dyno proven at a 13 whp increase.

As for the FiST, it'll be able to achieve most of the stuff you asked.

I have had many friends join the military over the years and they splurge when the suddenly have income. But my honest advice is to save up your money for a few years and (eventually) buy whatever car you want with straight cash (if you must have a nicer car). You're a position that a lot of people are -- we're living beyond our means. If I could go back in time I would live more frugally and not worry so much about vehicles. Worry about education, career, etc. instead and the rest will come. This is just my 2c and you don't need to listen to my advice.

To answer your specific questions about the Fiesta ST:
Insurance cost is fine. It's probably along the same lines as your focus. It's not perceived as a sports car.
Any car will do fine in snowy conditions with the right tires (snow tires). But to answer your question, it's not considered an all-weather vehicle.
PS, it's not by any means a sports vehicle. If you want speed or power, I would actually look elsewhere. It's light, nimble, fun, etc... but I don't consider it a powerful vehicle (unless you're doing substantial mods like a hybrid turbo, etc.)

Welcome to the forum! I can definitely recommend this car! Just make sure you can afford it. Being only 18 I actually think something like this car would be a perfect car to get into the car scene with. It's a great car to learn proper driving techniques with and won't get you into too much trouble like a RWD v8. It's by no means the fastest around, but it packs a punch and you will have a blast driving it. Insurance wise I only pay a few extra bucks a month than my old mazda 3. I see you actually live right by me. We have a car meet up here in Charles Town every Sunday. You should come on out. It's not an ST only meet but theres usually a couple ST's and an RS.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
An NA MK3 Focus is a fun car in it's own right. For $200 you can do a snorkel delete paired w/a drop-in filter; RMM insert; and a stouter rear sway. These 3 things will change driving dynamics. The snorkel delete/drop-in has been dyno proven at an 8 whp increase, and if your Focus is flex fuel, running straight E85 has been dyno proven at a 13 whp increase.

As for the FiST, it'll be able to achieve most of the stuff you asked.
I have done a drop in filter and the snorkel delete, I have not gotten around to doing a RMM to it. I do have a flex fuel but E85 is rare where I live. And unfortunately that's about all you can do to an mk3 focus without turboing it. I am attracted to the fiesta st because of its size and the fact that I could slowly build it into what I want because of how many companies offer products for the fiesta.

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
I have had many friends join the military over the years and they splurge when the suddenly have income. But my honest advice is to save up your money for a few years and (eventually) buy whatever car you want with straight cash (if you must have a nicer car). You're a position that a lot of people are -- we're living beyond our means. If I could go back in time I would live more frugally and not worry so much about vehicles. Worry about education, career, etc. instead and the rest will come. This is just my 2c and you don't need to listen to my advice.

To answer your specific questions about the Fiesta ST:
Insurance cost is fine. It's probably along the same lines as your focus. It's not perceived as a sports car.
Any car will do fine in snowy conditions with the right tires (snow tires). But to answer your question, it's not considered an all-weather vehicle.
PS, it's not by any means a sports vehicle. If you want speed or power, I would actually look elsewhere. It's light, nimble, fun, etc... but I don't consider it a powerful vehicle (unless you're doing substantial mods like a hybrid turbo, etc.)
To be honest half the reason I am getting the car is so I can take out a loan and build my credit while I am young and I'd rather start building it now than paying cash for it later and not getting any credit benefit. The other reason I'm looking specifically for a fiesta st is that it would be fun to take on back roads, I really don't need something fast (especially because I am 18 😂)

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
Welcome to the forum! I can definitely recommend this car! Just make sure you can afford it. Being only 18 I actually think something like this car would be a perfect car to get into the car scene with. It's a great car to learn proper driving techniques with and won't get you into too much trouble like a RWD v8. It's by no means the fastest around, but it packs a punch and you will have a blast driving it. Insurance wise I only pay a few extra bucks a month than my old mazda 3. I see you actually live right by me. We have a car meet up here in Charles Town every Sunday. You should come on out. It's not an ST only meet but theres usually a couple ST's and an RS.
That's awesome you live right by me! Unfortunately I will be moving very shortly and I do t know where exactly yet but hopefully I'll be back and I'll definitely hit up that meet!

To be honest half the reason I am getting the car is so I can take out a loan and build my credit while I am young and I'd rather start building it now than paying cash for it later and not getting any credit benefit. The other reason I'm looking specifically for a fiesta st is that it would be fun to take on back roads, I really don't need something fast (especially because I am 18 😂)
You have plenty of TIME and OPPORTUNITY to build your credit. But hey, your choices. GLuck

zanethan

*Excuse me while I climb up on my soapbox for a second.*

I'll second that at the age of 18 you shouldn't be itching to get a car loan or into debt. Once you get into debt it's a long haul to get out. There are obviously certain reasons for doing it, but you have so many unknowns at the age of 18 I would highly discourage it. You already mentioned that you don't know where you're going to be stationed. What if you're placed somewhere where the cost of living is high? What happens if you are fired/discharged? What happens if something breaks and your warranty is declined because you've modded the car? You already mentioned having to pay $200 a month for insurance, is that liability or comprehensive because you'll have to get comprehensive if there's a loan on the car. What happens if you total the new car and owe more than what it's worth? Are you willing to give up fun experiences at the expense of having a new car? Because you will have to make that call if you have a car payment.

There are much better ways to build credit then taking out a car loan. (Ask your parents if they'd be willing to add you to one of their credit cards. They don't have to give you a card but just being attached to their credit (assuming it's good) is the easiest way to build credit. You could also get your own credit card and pay the balance IN FULL every month. These are FREE ways to build credit. Getting a car loan is going to cost you THOUSANDS of dollars in interest to build credit.)

There are plenty of older fun cars out there that would satisfy the itch for getting into the car scene while avoiding going into debt. (Miata/MX-5, Speed3, '92-'02 Camaro/Firebird, Prelude, early '90s Eclipse, first gen Mini Cooper S (although maintenance will be a b*tch), MR-2, Civic SI, Evos, WRX, and Mustangs to name a few). Yes it'll take longer to find a clean well maintained examples but you won't have to worry about making payments for the next 6 years. You'll also get the added benefit of learning to keep an older car running which is an essential skill if you actually want to be in the car scene and not eat Ramen and PB and J every day.

I get it. I was 18 once and I realize that you don't want to be told any of this. In fact, the more we try to deter you the more you're probably resolving to buy a new car. You're clearly responsible you've chosen a career path that will serve you well but you're just at the beginning of that path. Get more established in the world before jumping into debt, build up some cash savings, open up a retirement account, and have fun! Cars will always be around to play with later and yes the FiST will die with this generation but there will always be fun cars around to buy later. Used FiST's will be around for decades to come all is not lost if you wait.

*Gets off soap box*

Yes the FiST will accomplish all the things you mentioned.

Based on what you said your interests are, get a used 4x4 pickup or a SUV. When you get more settled down, then you can think about something more "fun". Thanks for your (future) service!

*Excuse me while I climb up on my soapbox for a second.*

I'll second that at the age of 18 you shouldn't be itching to get a car loan or into debt. Once you get into debt it's a long haul to get out. There are obviously certain reasons for doing it, but you have so many unknowns at the age of 18 I would highly discourage it. You already mentioned that you don't know where you're going to be stationed. What if you're placed somewhere where the cost of living is high? What happens if you are fired/discharged? What happens if something breaks and your warranty is declined because you've modded the car? You already mentioned having to pay $200 a month for insurance, is that liability or comprehensive because you'll have to get comprehensive if there's a loan on the car. What happens if you total the new car and owe more than what it's worth? Are you willing to give up fun experiences at the expense of having a new car? Because you will have to make that call if you have a car payment.

There are much better ways to build credit then taking out a car loan. (Ask your parents if they'd be willing to add you to one of their credit cards. They don't have to give you a card but just being attached to their credit (assuming it's good) is the easiest way to build credit. You could also get your own credit card and pay the balance IN FULL every month. These are FREE ways to build credit. Getting a car loan is going to cost you THOUSANDS of dollars in interest to build credit.)

There are plenty of older fun cars out there that would satisfy the itch for getting into the car scene while avoiding going into debt. (Miata/MX-5, Speed3, '92-'02 Camaro/Firebird, Prelude, early '90s Eclipse, first gen Mini Cooper S (although maintenance will be a b*tch), MR-2, Civic SI, Evos, WRX, and Mustangs to name a few). Yes it'll take longer to find a clean well maintained examples but you won't have to worry about making payments for the next 6 years. You'll also get the added benefit of learning to keep an older car running which is an essential skill if you actually want to be in the car scene and not eat Ramen and PB and J every day.

I get it. I was 18 once and I realize that you don't want to be told any of this. In fact, the more we try to deter you the more you're probably resolving to buy a new car. You're clearly responsible you've chosen a career path that will serve you well but you're just at the beginning of that path. Get more established in the world before jumping into debt, build up some cash savings, open up a retirement account, and have fun! Cars will always be around to play with later and yes the FiST will die with this generation but there will always be fun cars around to buy later. Used FiST's will be around for decades to come all is not lost if you wait.

*Gets off soap box*

Yes the FiST will accomplish all the things you mentioned.
Fully agree with everything here. But hey, we were all young and a little reckless. Let him be young and a little reckless. But kid -- we're giving you some food for thought and it's just our opinions. Just stuff to think about. It's your life and your decisions! Have fun. Don't forget that life is too short.

The reason we say all these things is because looking bad we (probably) would have made different decisions. But everyone's life is their own journey. Sometimes you don't learn unless you make mistakes.

An interesting point about insurance... when I bought my ST, USAA classified it as a "wagon", not a performance vehicle of any kind.

zanethan

An interesting point about insurance... when I bought my ST, USAA classified it as a "wagon", not a performance vehicle of any kind.
Yes, insurance companies don't typically classify vehicles by trim. So in the eye of an insurance company the ST is the same thing as a base fiesta. They will base rates on their loss experience with other Fiesta's in addition to your personal information. As I know Fiesta buyers are an decent demographic as my rates are quite low for the Fiesta compared to other cars I've owned.

That being said it's a newer car so his insurance will go up on that point alone.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Having grown up a military brat, partially raised by old school grandparents, and now retired, my experience has been that of "always." There's always a deal, there's always a car...whatever idea of the moment you're attached to, it will always be there. Sometimes it's the same flavor, sometimes it's a different flavor, for better or worse. And still, giving yourself ample time to mull it over can reveal further insights. The auto industry and pursuing aftermarket aren't going anywhere in our lifetime. FiSTs and all other performance cars won't suddenly be rounded up and crushed, you know?

I don't regret any of the past decisions I've made regarding cars in spite of "always." Heeding to wisdom isn't as fun, but it sure makes life a helluva lot easier.

I'm a vet myself best advice I can give you which I tell all my joes. Hold on to your current ride especially if it's paid off! It's REALLY nice not having a car payment. more money for beer!

I love my ST but I wish I never bought it new (ah I was so dumb) These don't hold their value well at. Bad for the first guy good news for you. You can find some good STs for cheap if you shop around.

So never buy new and wait a about a year or so to get settled into the military, get an idea how your life is going to be, save some money, get promoted (e-1/e-2 pay is terrible). And run it by your first line supervisor before. They can walk you through the loan process, double check your budget, etc.

Good luck and have fun!