Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hidden costs of a turbo upgrade

Based

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Thought I'd update this thread today.

So I never did get any aftermarket charge pipes, I'm still on the stock hot and cold side. I've beat the car, done 50+ datalog runs plus easily hundreds more WOT pulls for fun, and the charge pipes haven't come off again since I double clamped them. So I'm fairly confident I'm smooth sailing. I've checked them a few times and there is no hint of loosening at any connection. That's with a race gas tune which is nearing 300hp, the pipes are holding.

I will add that another possible "hidden cost" will be tires. I finally replaced my stockers with some Federal 595 RS-Rs a couple of weeks ago, +1 size wider. I'll say that this is a must to fully enjoy the upgrade. Reason? You have all this new power you can't enjoy because the tires slip and spin and smoke when WOT in 1st or 2nd. Mine have even slipped in 3rd one time. With stock turbo and a tune that will happen but it's not much of a power loss because power peaks halfway through the rpm band. However with a turbo upgrade there is plenty of new power all the way to redline and tires spinning therefor robs you of enjoying all that new power.

So these tires stick pretty amazingly; I can turn Cobb TC off (now my default on my tune) and of course factory TC off, floor it in 2nd full power, the car goes forward, hang on, minimal if any spin depending on the road. I can make them spin on a newly paved road but otherwise I'm getting near 100% traction.

So if you upgrade your turbo and don't have sticky tires I'd recommend paying that "hidden cost" to fully put your power to the ground.