Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

should I buy a fiesta st

Tim87

I am looking at a new commuter car and have always been intrigued by the fiesta st. I have narrowed down my choices to the focus st or the fiesta st and both seem to have proven track records except there have been a string of threads about fiesta transmission problems. can anyone shed more light on this?

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I believe that this was an issue just here-and-there with some early models. As you stated, you're looking for a NEW commuter car; I wouldn't even worry about it.

Welcome to the forum btw!

OP
T

Tim87

Thread Starter #3
I believe that this was an issue just here-and-there with some early models. As you stated, you're looking for a NEW commuter car; I wouldn't even worry about it.

Welcome to the forum btw!
thanks, I may be looking at a 2015 or newer model, I find it interesting that they are similarly priced with used focuses but the additional gas mileage would be nice.

A test drive is your best option. We will all give you our opinions, but they won't agree with each other or probably even yourself. They are both great cars in their own ways, but the best way to know is to experience it yourself. [thumb]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had my trans replaced @30k.....alot of people have not had the whine....but some have.....axles seals have been an issue. Just ask to see the service history if it's at a dealership. I'd buy a FiST over a FoST all over again.....i love this car....ive managed to get 39.5mpg cruising 65 to the youper and NoLa on my long haul road trips....im town it's about 32 typically for my when I get on it some.....beat it around it's around 30mpg.....if you can get an after market warranty...
If your going to mod ie...bigger turbo...intercooler.....exhausy....LSD....not the drug....the limited Slip Differential....forget the warranty and let er rip. Or if you lightly mod...get an access port ....intake....small stuff......its one of those few times something was put together just right and provides the smile factor every time it's driven.....IMO....good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If you have the garage space and pocketbook, I would not buy a FiST brand new. I would get a beater civic or Corolla and then get a lightly used FiST at a significant discount. This allows you to have a commuter car to get you from A to B without any problems and then the FiST can be used as your fun driver/weekend warrior.

OP
T

Tim87

Thread Starter #7
If you have the garage space and pocketbook, I would not buy a FiST brand new. I would get a beater civic or Corolla and then get a lightly used FiST at a significant discount. This allows you to have a commuter car to get you from A to B without any problems and then the FiST can be used as your fun driver/weekend warrior.
I need a truck and drive 100 miles a day for work so I am looking at replacing my 15 ecoboost with a 4 door sporty car and getting a beater truck eventually.

The problem with Fiesta transmissions your probably hearing about is the auto. It is plagued with problems. The ST only comes in Manual. Buy an ST before they are no more.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The problem with Fiesta transmissions your probably hearing about is the auto. It is plagued with problems. The ST only comes in Manual. Buy an ST before they are no more.
This is not correct....the manuals have had problems.....just not as much as the "powershift" automatic transmissions that's for sure. Ask me how I know....my trans was replaced for a loud whine in 4th and started to creep into 6th. The axles seals also were an issue also...but a "updated" seal was came up with as the solution....some of the ones that were updated seals and leaked again were dealer / Tech error during install....that caused it to leak again I've been told by Ford. With anything used...get it inspected....especially if it's third party and not thru a dealer who has to meet certified inspection set forth by the manufacturer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
For more tips about the transmission, check out a few threads here regarding that. There are a few pointers in there to help minimize the likelihood of transmission problems.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

thanks, I may be looking at a 2015 or newer model, I find it interesting that they are similarly priced with used focuses but the additional gas mileage would be nice.
Where have they been similarly priced? around me it wasn't uncommon to see a '13 or '14 FoST with 50-70k miles for the same as a 2015+ FiST with 20-40k miles.

But like others said, test drive both. I did and ended up liking the FiST way more

I test drove both when I was in the market for a new DD after my current DD got flooded from a hurricane. I like the FoST and the bit of extra space it had, but the MPG reviews from a lot of owners online as well as the overall fun factor just wasn't the same as when I drove the Fiesta. I drove a base model FiST just to get a feel for the driving dynamics and fell for the car and then when on a hunt for the optioned out one I wanted. I have no regrets on the FiST over the FoST, it's actually the first DD that I've owned that I have wanted to just keep long term and drive it till it can't go anymore lol. I still have some miles left on my factory warranty and then I'll go a mod crazy when it's over.

Nah lol you could buy a lightly used new WRX or used evo or something for the same price. FiST is so damn slow unless heavily modified.

laSTone

I'm getting mine this week for an upgrade on my fiesta se commuter. The se has been good to me for the year I've owned it and 20k miles of commutes and road trips. Going new you'll have a warranty for 3yrs or 36k standard from ford for the power train in case there are trans issues too

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Nah lol you could buy a lightly used new WRX or used evo or something for the same price. FiST is so damn slow unless heavily modified.
A low mileage 2016 FiST can be had for between 16k-18k depending on options. For that price range, you're getting a base WRX around the 2011-2013 range with decent miles, but probably no warranty. If the OP cares about MPG, the FiST wins hands down in that department as well. In NC, AWD is not necessary unless it's wanted for the fun/handling purposes only in which case the FiST is still plenty of fun in the corners right out of the box. If HP/Speed is a primary concern then the WRX definitely has the edge, but an AP3, Intercooler, Drop-in filter, RMM and a Stratified tune should cost under $1000 and transforms the car completely for a daily.

Don't get me wrong, I love subaru, I bought my FiST because my Saab 9-2x wagon with EJ207 V9 swap got flooded in a hurricane and the insurance company wouldn't let me purchase it back... I miss the power that car had a lot sometimes, but I don't miss the MPG nor the lack of warranty. Overall the FiST makes a great DD if you are ok with the size for daily living.

OP
T

Tim87

Thread Starter #16
A low mileage 2016 FiST can be had for between 16k-18k depending on options. For that price range, you're getting a base WRX around the 2011-2013 range with decent miles, but probably no warranty. If the OP cares about MPG, the FiST wins hands down in that department as well. In NC, AWD is not necessary unless it's wanted for the fun/handling purposes only in which case the FiST is still plenty of fun in the corners right out of the box. If HP/Speed is a primary concern then the WRX definitely has the edge, but an AP3, Intercooler, Drop-in filter, RMM and a Stratified tune should cost under $1000 and transforms the car completely for a daily.

Don't get me wrong, I love subaru, I bought my FiST because my Saab 9-2x wagon with EJ207 V9 swap got flooded in a hurricane and the insurance company wouldn't let me purchase it back... I miss the power that car had a lot sometimes, but I don't miss the MPG nor the lack of warranty. Overall the FiST makes a great DD if you are ok with the size for daily living.
my only concern is the amount of transmission issues I have been seeing with the fist. also I wouldn't go with a subaru or an evo because of the owners touching them inappropriately and the gas mileage they can't get.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Go drive it. If its right you will know. I dont regret my 15 and I drive 130 miles a day in it. Its a very fun car to throw around and surprise ppl once in a while. My dad thought it had a v6 in it lol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I bought my 15 new and luckily haven't had to take it in for anything. I got the base model as I couldn't justify spending 10-12%% of the purchase price of the entire car on just seats haha.
I'd buy it again, too. I fell in love with it the first time I took it for a test drive and let it rip on the freeway. I'll never forget the look on the sales rep's face as I was weaving in and out of cars at about 80 on the 8 east in La Mesa.......

Why do I love this car?
1: 4 doors + a hatch. I can fit my wife and myself (obviously), my 85lb shepherd in the hatch along with my mini poodle, and my terrier in her carrier (zing) fits in between the two kids seats for a day at the park. Score!
2: Turbo. Sure its just a little guy, but as blue2turbo said with the mods he's listed, the little cars turns into a rocket, especially if you tune with e30!
3: 6 speed. Pure driving enthusiast joy. No wannabe car guys and automatic transmissions here. No sir!
4: Handling ability. Throw it into a corner hard, it doesn't even flinch. The torque vectoring is great too, even though I turn it off to save my brakes (which are also great from the factory) :)
5: 30+ mpg, even when beating on it.
6: Technology. I love SYNC, and I definitely love not having to search through all my stuff to find the keys to open/start it.
7: Price. I paid ~21k out the door and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to insure either
8: Low key. Most people don't even know that there's a Fiesta on steroids available. That's what ST means, right? I love the look on people's faces when they try to get away and can't or get flat out beat!

Last edited:

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I bought my 15 new and luckily haven't had to take it in for anything. I got the base model as I couldn't justify spending 10-12%% of the purchase price of the entire car on just seats haha.
I'd buy it again, too. I fell in love with it the first time I took it for a test drive and let it rip on the freeway. I'll never forget the look on the sales rep's face as I was weaving in and out of cars at about 80 on the 8 east in La Mesa.......

Why do I love this car?
1: 4 doors + a hatch. I can fit my 85lb shepherd in the hatch along with my mini poodle, and my terrier in her carrier (zing) fits in between the two kids seats for a day at the park. Score!
2: Turbo. Sure its just a little guy, but as blue2turbo said with the mods he's listed, the little cars turns into a rocket, especially if you tune with e30!
3: 6 speed. Pure driving enthusiast joy. No wannabe car guys and automatic transmissions here. No sir!
4: Handling ability. Throw it into a corner hard, it doesn't even flinch. The torque vectoring is great too, even though I turn it off to save my brakes (which are also great from the factory) :)
5: 30+ mpg, even when beating on it.
6: Technology. I love SYNC, and I definitely love not having to search through all my stuff to find the keys to open/start it.
7: Price. I paid ~21k out the door and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to insure either
8: Low key. Most people don't even know that there's a Fiesta on steroids available. That's what ST means, right? I love the look on people's faces when they try to get away and can't or get flat out beat!
I love your enthusiasm :)