Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bren's HS Autox Setup

[video=youtube;KIcbxToiouA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIcbxToiouA[/video]

After months of lurking on other autox threads I'm finally at a happy place with my HS setup which includes Koni yellows (full stiff rear, almost full soft front), 16" Rota Slipstreams w/ 205/45/16 RE-71R and even toe alignment. Last weekend we had two events in Farmington, NM and I have no complaints. I ran pressures of 38psi front and 42psi rear.

At the previous event last month, a regular we'll call Bob showed up in a new-to-him Fiesta that he'd already set up with konis, stones, muffler, and front sway bar. He won the Street 2 combined class and scored 4th overall PAX on one of the days. We swapped cars for one run and I put down my best time of the day and was inspired to try something similar.

It really payed off on Saturday. I took the lead early but Bob put a better run down. With only two runs to go I got him by a whole half second. That run gave me the Street 2 win and got me 2nd overall PAX. This was my first event coming from being a novice, so it was a big deal for me to do this well. To get 2nd PAX out of 70 something cars is unreal.

I couldn't quite find my line on Sunday. I ended up in the middle of the Street 2 pack and 10th overall. I'm very happy with the weekend. I took two days of Evo autox school a couple weeks ago. That and the tires and shocks gave me an edge on Saturday. Looking forward to another one of those days.

Edit: Bob and I were giving each other bad advice when it got close on Saturday. I told him I read on the forums that 20 psi all around was the magic number. He offered to let the air out of my tires.

Last edited:
Curious to know what was the difference in times when you were stock compared to when the other guy showed up in a fully prepped car? Ive been going back and fourth on if I should get the shocks and sway bar before nationals this year or just run it stock and see what happens. It will be my first nationals event ever so Im not really sure what to expect. I generally finish top 3 in PAX in my region and I also won the GoodGuys All American Sunday event in Des Moines,IA. That really upset and surprised some people but the course was super tight. The mustang guys werent very happy. haha

Curious to know what was the difference in times when you were stock compared to when the other guy showed up in a fully prepped car? Ive been going back and fourth on if I should get the shocks and sway bar before nationals this year or just run it stock and see what happens. It will be my first nationals event ever so Im not really sure what to expect. I generally finish top 3 in PAX in my region and I also won the GoodGuys All American Sunday event in Des Moines,IA. That really upset and surprised some people but the course was super tight. The mustang guys werent very happy. haha
I recently got a 2017 ST, planning on staying in HS since I got burned out with my previous STF Mazda 2 project.
I took it to an Autox completely stock and 1500 miles on it. There was a fully prepped HS Mini driven by a National Level super nice guy. He got me by 1.5 seconds IIRC.
I have been going to Nationals since 2009, and I can tell you you are going to love it, is a life changing and eye opening experience . Many guys that do very well locally get surprised at Nats. but is the name of the game. 2017 is not my year but already started gathering parts for 2018.
In my case taking off work for a week is hard these days so if I want to go I will make sure to have the car completely ready and compeptitive trying to be at the same level with the other competitors in my class.
Still an amazing experience you will learn so much, the mental game is amazing and you will see how important it is.
I am not very familiar with my car yet to make a rational choice of minimal mods. I got the chance to get superlight wheels just because it was an unique opportunity, but still don't have tires ;) . a friend of mine in Ft Myers almost got Mike King with stock suspension, only wheels and tires, Mike had OTS Konis and stock wheels on re71R's, both fast drivers.

If money is an issue I would get Konis, 16" cheap wheels from Tire rack and your choice of re71r's 50 or 45, because Rivals are out of stock.

Andres

I recently got a 2017 ST, planning on staying in HS since I got burned out with my previous STF Mazda 2 project.
I took it to an Autox completely stock and 1500 miles on it. There was a fully prepped HS Mini driven by a National Level super nice guy. He got me by 1.5 seconds IIRC.
I have been going to Nationals since 2009, and I can tell you you are going to love it, is a life changing and eye opening experience . Many guys that do very well locally get surprised at Nats. but is the name of the game. 2017 is not my year but already started gathering parts for 2018.
In my case taking off work for a week is hard these days so if I want to go I will make sure to have the car completely ready and compeptitive trying to be at the same level with the other competitors in my class.
Still an amazing experience you will learn so much, the mental game is amazing and you will see how important it is.
I am not very familiar with my car yet to make a rational choice of minimal mods. I got the chance to get superlight wheels just because it was an unique opportunity, but still don't have tires ;) . a friend of mine in Ft Myers almost got Mike King with stock suspension, only wheels and tires, Mike had OTS Konis and stock wheels on re71R's, both fast drivers.

If money is an issue I would get Konis, 16" cheap wheels from Tire rack and your choice of re71r's 50 or 45, because Rivals are out of stock.

Andres
Good info for sure! Im currently on rpf1's with re71r's 50 series. I decided I will wait till next yr on the koni's and at least get the experience of nationals this yr. Hopefully I will be back next year as well and be able to give you some competition!