Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone have a CNT catless DP? Or catless DP in general?

From the start, I actually wanted to go for a catted DP since I didn't want to deal with any CEL codes (or the smelly and not so environmentally friendly part lol) but a guy within our local FB page offered a great deal on his brand new CNT catless dp since I did him a favor. Is it a decent dp? Since I'm still pretty new to all of this, will my AP clear the CEL codes permanently when installed? The other thing that has me thinking; since the dp is a 3" but reduces down to 2.5" at the end, will it be an issue installing it to my 3" CBE? I apologize for all the noob questions. Just want to know what I'm doing before I install it in the future. Thanks in advance! [biggrin]

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Well, couple things.

1.) Not familiar with CNT - I've been on this forum for a while and cruised a good number of parts sites but never heard of them. That being said, it looks like they've focused their product development on other platforms.

2.) If you go with a catless DP you will need to have the AP adjusted for it in order for the CEL not to appear. The O2 sensors will detect the difference (or lack of) in exhaust quality and it will raise a flag with the car's engine management system.

3.) If you want to bypass the CEL without adjusting the AP you can do so with a spark plug defouler such as this - https://www.2j-racing.com/2jr-fiesta-st-downpipe-de-fouler.html I've used on on my supercharged 4Runner that I removed the cats on and I don't have the ability to tune it out of the EMS so I went with the defouler and it works! No CEL - it has shown up a couple times but I believe it was due to my muffler falling off and affecting the air flow... Either way, I clear it and it doesn't come back for weeks.

4.) In regards to the size, if you have a 3" exhaust then it's ideal to have it 3" the whole way as otherwise you don't see the benefits. That being said, this car doesn't need a 3" exhaust - 2.5" is just fine, even for hybrid or big turbo options. Unless you're going over 400hp, you don't NEED a 3" exhaust. So, will you have an issue bolting it up? No. I did the same thing - 3" Catless DP and 2.5" exhaust. The CNT option just assumes you're bolting up to stock exhaust.

5.) lastly - the catless DP doesn't have the mounting bracket that the stock option has. For me, this was a deal breaker - I wanted to get a DP that had this bracket so that the exhaust was not hanging off the turbo but was supported by the DP as the Ford Engineers intended. I went with the 2J Racing option for this reason (although I'm not sure they're available new anymore).

Hope that helps!

DangerMouse

Cnt makes decent quality stuff but not great. I had their catless downpipe on my mazdaspeed3 and it was good but the welds on the flange could have been better. I did read somewhere that a guy was having some fitment issues with a Cnt downpipe on his Fiesta st.

I think there are better options out there. Catted or non cat is personal preference, the smells are fun at first but gets annoying quick especially if you have other people in your car frequently.