Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sparco Seat install + Airbag bypass. '16 FiST

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
First thanks for the writeup and detail. I installed some vinyl recaros, used generic NRG rails an planted brackets. All went well, however have a few things to fix, I think I swapped sides on the seat belt brackets, so will fix that by the weekend. For the passenger seat did the resistor trick however will need to do something with the occupancy sensor. Anyone have any tricks, or have swapped the parts into the seat?

Bad pic finished super late at night.

NICE!! [like]

As much as I don't like all vinyl/leather seats, those Sparcos look GREAT in there! [thumb]

IF we had a factory option for something like those, with the integrated head rest instead of the separate slider/rod style, I would have gone for them, yup, even if they were the Recaro brand which I personally cannot stomach/stand, or do not trust, quality-wise! ;)

For those who wish to do the passenger side. There are one or two extra steps. The resistor needs to be done to both seats, however to not get a check engine light the Passenger Occupancy pad has to be moved over to the other seat.

This is pretty easy, look under the seat there are white clips holding the bottom cushion on. If needed take the two phillips screws out the plastic trim, remove the seat level on the right side, and remove the t50 bolts holding the back to the cushion.

Remove the cushion which looks like this.

Then in my case left the pop screws in and cut an appropriate size piece of cardboard or whatever and cut a hole to allow the sensor to come out. Push the screws into the cardboard so they stick together.

On the Sparco Seat trim as needed and slide under bands on bottom of seat:

Attach the rest of the sensors below and reinstall.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
This is making me want to get an upgraded drivers seat. And I have the recaros. (Mainly because I pretty much need heated seats)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^Looks GREAT! [twothumb]

If those had a little more thigh bolster (and could be had covered in alcantara), I would get them as well.

For those who wish to do the passenger side. There are one or two extra steps. The resistor needs to be done to both seats, however to not get a check engine light the Passenger Occupancy pad has to be moved over to the other seat.

This is pretty easy, look under the seat there are white clips holding the bottom cushion on. If needed take the two phillips screws out the plastic trim, remove the seat level on the right side, and remove the t50 bolts holding the back to the cushion.

Remove the cushion which looks like this.

Then in my case left the pop screws in and cut an appropriate size piece of cardboard or whatever and cut a hole to allow the sensor to come out. Push the screws into the cardboard so they stick together.

On the Sparco Seat trim as needed and slide under bands on bottom of seat:

Attach the rest of the sensors below and reinstall.
If I'm understanding correctly then - you took the sensors out of the passenger seat and simply did this work to make it fit in the Sparco seat then? These instructions are basically making the Sparco seat mimic an OE seat, correct?

DvC

If I'm understanding correctly then - you took the sensors out of the passenger seat and simply did this work to make it fit in the Sparco seat then? These instructions are basically making the Sparco seat mimic an OE seat, correct?
Yep. really you dont even need the cardboard its only for protection. i just shoved mine in there and it works fine.

I understand disabling the light, but my question is will the steering wheel airbag still work if needed during an accident? Is the resistor just for the seat side airbag or all driver side airbags?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Followed some of the advice on the OP’s post. I bought the same resistors on Amazon. Instead of using wire and vampire clips, I just shoved each end into the airbag sensor connector and taped it securely. I also removed the seat rail sensor from the bracket and tied everything up neatly under my OMP seat. Worked perfectly and didn’t take long at all.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Followed some of the advice on the OP’s post. I bought the same resistors on Amazon. Instead of using wire and vampire clips, I just shoved each end into the airbag sensor connector and taped it securely. I also removed the seat rail sensor from the bracket and tied everything up neatly under my OMP seat. Worked perfectly and didn’t take long at all.
Which OMP seat did you install? I'm looking for the largest seats that will fit, seems like the shoulders/b-pillar is the main issue.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Cool thanks for the photo! Looks like you can't get much larger than that so I'll use that model as a frame of reference.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Cool thanks for the photo! Looks like you can't get much larger than that so I'll use that model as a frame of reference.
Yeah it’s the widest halo you can use without removing the seatbelt and trim. I update the post above.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Yeah it’s the widest halo you can use without removing the seatbelt and trim. I update the post above.
Looks super tight in the hips but maybe it's just the angle mixed with the style of seat. I'm not opposed to a halo but wide fixed back was my priority. Thanks again.