Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sparco Seat install + Airbag bypass. '16 FiST

Delete/lock. Sparco Seat install + Airbag bypass. '16 FiST

Passenger seat install is on Post #42 thanks Genya or click the following link :
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14529-Sparco-Seat-install-Airbag-bypass-16-FiST?p=275436&viewfull=1#post275436

*** Please do this airbag sensor bypass at your own risk. I will not be held accountable if anything catastrophic happens when doing this install. PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE :) ***

***IMPORTANT*** PLEASE DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY DURING THE INSTALL.

**Just in case photos aren't working I created a shared folder in Google drive **
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7P5OT01OdkFU2VfUzAyRWtQWWs?usp=sharing

Finally got around to install my sparco seat on my 16' Fiesta ST

** List of parts used during the install**

-Seats:
http://www.sparcousa.com/product/r100

-Base: Planted Technology base
*It will say out of stock sometimes. These are Built to order, takes about 7-10 days to build then ship afterwards*
*Some drilling is required depending on how your mounting it up. I did have to drill 2 new holes as I did not opt for rails at the time. If you purchase the rails you may not need to drill.*
http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pr...ket-ford-fiesta-mark-vi-2008-driver-left.html

-Hardware:( Street series seats require the #50001 kit)
http://www.sparcousa.com/product/hardware-spacer-kits

-Resistor(s)
2.2 OHM resistors (2 red bands + 2 gold bands) 1/2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5F57OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Rail sliders:
https://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Slide...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K5NVESW7M22Z72AFV0FT

Various wires and extra bits

**Torque Specs
-Torque specs that anchor the seat to floor board is 38nm.
-Seat belt / belt tensioner is 53nm.

1) First remove seat bolts, there are 4 bolts. It helps to move the steering wheel in and out. Also slide the seats far forward or back to help get to the bolts. Lift off slowly and disconnect the one connector located on the Driver door side

Front Bolts

Rear Bolts

2) Clean up all the junk under your seats while you're at it -_-

3) Test fitted the Bracket from Planted Technology

4) Here is a view underneath the seat. Make note of the highlighted / circled connectors.

5) Wiring up and bypassing the Airbag sensor.

you would need the 2.2 Ohm Resistors linked above.

Wiring it up should look something similar to the photo below.

*Note* For the air bag connection. I measured it at 2.1-2.2 Ohms. I ended up splitting a spare wire and soldered one 2.2ohm resistor then used vampire clips.
* You can at this point once everything is connected (air bag sensor, 2.2 ohm resistor, & seat belt sensor, & main connection) you can plug the battery in and turn the car on to accessories. Air bag light will show up and then disappear. If you really want to you can start the car you can ( not needed). *** Important*** disconnect battery when your done testing and making sure your connections are solid.

6) Mount the Airbag sensor to a sturdy location. I ended up just drilling a smaller hole and used self taping screws to secure the sensor. I then further covered it up with bubble wrap ( not needed, but iono just for kicks ?)

7) Encasing the Airbag connection w/ 2.2ohm resistors in a Altoids box. I later then zip-tied it to the rest of the bundle of wires.

8) Install the seats + brackets. Connect the wires etc.

9) Results: Tested and drove the car around no Airbag sensor light. The seats w/ base and no rails drops you pretty much 1 " off the mounting points. I would advise for seat rails. A friend of mine who is about 5' 5" sits comfortably. As for me being 6'2" @250lbs it would've been nice to sit back a little bit ( ended up ordering rails coming in later ).

Last edited:

codestp202

Very good post! The links are dead but the google photos album works fine.

I just did an install yesterday and today and did the 2.2 ohm resistor and its working great!! Any reason you put your resistor in an altoids box? I simply taped mine up and shrink wrapped it. Its bundled in with the other wires that are tucked neatly under the seat.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Very good post! The links are dead but the google photos album works fine.

I just did an install yesterday and today and did the 2.2 ohm resistor and its working great!! Any reason you put your resistor in an altoids box? I simply taped mine up and shrink wrapped it. Its bundled in with the other wires that are tucked neatly under the seat.
Hmm. I'll have to try imgur for the photos.

I just put them in an the box to prevent accidental kicking or what not. I may just be paranoid lol.

codestp202

Hmm. I'll have to try imgur for the photos.

I just put them in an the box to prevent accidental kicking or what not. I may just be paranoid lol.
You made me a little more paranoid and I zip tied them up to the seat so no one can touch any of the wires lol. They couldn't before but you triggered some OCD in me.

DvC

awesome. i have been waiting to do this till i saw proof it worked. the seats look great!

The seat looks awesome! Great write up.

Out of curiosity, is it known, anywhere across the Internet, that wiring a resistor to defeat the airbag light will keep the airbags deploying? I'm hoping there's concrete proof that airbags will deploy with the resistor in place but can't seem to find any proof across several Google searches.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
The seat looks awesome! Great write up.

Out of curiosity, is it known, anywhere across the Internet, that wiring a resistor to defeat the airbag light will keep the airbags deploying? I'm hoping there's concrete proof that airbags will deploy with the resistor in place but can't seem to find any proof across several Google searches.
so if you disconnect your side air bag and measure the Ohm's to it it'll measure out 2.1 / 2.2 ohms. Each airbag is different. Some will vary up to 3ohms or more. The one you can't really defeat is the airbag sensor itself which is the big block that is shown in one of the photos above.

The air bags throughout the car will still deploy cause the air bag sensor is still connected. The only thing you are doing is tricking the connection to the actual air bag and telling the system to say " hey the driver side air bag is still here." I don't think car manufactures would disable all airbags if one is malfunctioning. They would probably either deploy all except the faulty one.

codestp202

This looks great but I am an idiot and I do not see where/how to install the resistors.
Look at my photo: See the red shrink wrap with the yellow electrical tape? I cut the stock wire coming from the seat airbag, splice the wires so they are bare, then solder one end of the resistor to each wire so it makes a loop.
Check out my sick wiring diagram.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Here's another example. ( this one is off a 370z forum same idea though. I just used vampire clips )

This is how vampire clips work.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
GREAT writeup! [twothumb]

Would it be possible, as long as one insured that it would stay in place, to simply jam the wire ends of the resistor fully into the connector's contacts, and then secure it firmly with shrink wrap, silicone tape, etc., instead of cutting, soldering, or vampire clipping it into the actual wires?
(And yes, I know that those methods are MUCH more positive, and secure than what I am asking.)

Also, IF you are still a novice at open tracking, and your organization requires instructor ride alongs/guidance in order to qualify for faster run groups, A LOT of them DEMAND the same exact setup for the passenger seating/belts/harness, that the driver has, so I would check that out.
(IF you are either already in an advanced run group, have checked about this already, or are planning on installing the R100 passenger seat as well, please ignore the above!) ;)

codestp202

Would it be possible, as long as one insured that it would stay in place, to simply jam the wire ends of the resistor fully into the connector's contacts, and then secure it firmly with shrink wrap, silicone tape, etc., instead of cutting, soldering, or vampire clipping it into the actual wires?
(And yes, I know that those methods are MUCH more positive, and secure than what I am asking.)

Also, IF you are still a novice at open tracking, and your organization requires instructor ride alongs/guidance in order to qualify for faster run groups, A LOT of them DEMAND the same exact setup for the passenger seating/belts/harness, that the driver has, so I would check that out.
(IF you are either already in an advanced run group, have checked about this already, or are planning on installing the R100 passenger seat as well, please ignore the above!) ;)
I do not think it would be possible, as the connector on the wiring harness side has male ends, and the one coming from the seat is the female. If it was the other way around I would say yes.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do not think it would be possible, as the connector on the wiring harness side has male ends, and the one coming from the seat is the female. If it was the other way around I would say yes.
OK, yes you are correct, and I was looking at the connectors in reverse! [headslap]<-me

OP
T
Thread Starter #16

That's really good info. I wasn't aware of those guidelines and will have to check. My wife likes the r100's cause she doesn't get tossed around like the stock cloth seats, will have to consider it in order to make the wife happy lol.

The connector on my cars Harness is Female. The connector from the airbag was male end. I tried sticking the resistor in to the clip going to the harness. The issue was that my gauge wire of the resistor wasn't big enough, so it had a lot of play. Which is why i opted for the vampire clip since it is fairly simple to remove and tape up if i ever decide to get rid of the car or something happens ( knock on wood).

codestp202

That's really good info. I wasn't aware of those guidelines and will have to check. My wife likes the r100's cause she doesn't get tossed around like the stock cloth seats, will have to consider it in order to make the wife happy lol.

The connector on my cars Harness is Female. The connector from the airbag was male end. I tried sticking the resistor in to the clip going to the harness. The issue was that my gauge wire of the resistor wasn't big enough, so it had a lot of play. Which is why i opted for the vampire clip since it is fairly simple to remove and tape up if i ever decide to get rid of the car or something happens ( knock on wood).
Hm interesting. I could be reversing it in my mind but pretty sure it was opposite.

OP
T
Thread Starter #18
Hm interesting. I could be reversing it in my mind but pretty sure it was opposite.
Well the connector it self is correct. Harness is Male end Actual Airbag is female end.

The pin connection inside is opposite. Harness has female pins and the actual air bag has male pins. :)

Looking at putting in a seat soon, if I didn't care about the airbag light would it stop anything if I just didn't even mess with the resisitor bit? And just left it alone and not cared?