Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sparco Seat install + Airbag bypass. '16 FiST

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Looking at putting in a seat soon, if I didn't care about the airbag light would it stop anything if I just didn't even mess with the resisitor bit? And just left it alone and not cared?
As long as you don't care that the other air bags are now not functional, and your state inspection does not fail you for having that dash light, no, no other problems.

As long as you don't care that the other air bags are now not functional, and your state inspection does not fail you for having that dash light, no, no other problems.
Are you sure if the air bag light is on that all air bags are disabled?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are you sure if the air bag light is on that all air bags are disabled?
Not absolutely sure, as they could each be on their own independent, individual circuits, and not need a resistor for the removed air bag(s) to still be operational.

I was basing it on my '00 Z28 which did disable the passenger side dash bag when I installed a Sparco steering wheel and ditched the factory bagged wheel (and did NOT install a resistor to complete the circuit).

Maybe out of staunch safety concerns/regs, they are required by federal law to be completely independent (circuit-wise, but still all triggered by the same sensors) of each other nowadays??

*Can an actual Ford TECH please come on here and answer this for us, PLEASE???*

Will the planted seat brackets work with other universal rails and sliders for seats? I want to do this too but have other seat options in mind

OP
T
Thread Starter #28
Will the planted seat brackets work with other universal rails and sliders for seats? I want to do this too but have other seat options in mind
Yes, a friend jd mine has the same brackets but with corbeau seats and rails. I also have a sparco bracket brand new. Just never got around to posting it up for sale.

Look at my photo: See the red shrink wrap with the yellow electrical tape? I cut the stock wire coming from the seat airbag, splice the wires so they are bare, then solder one end of the resistor to each wire so it makes a loop.
Check out my sick wiring diagram.

Forgive me of my ignorance. I'm just trying to get a better understanding before I do my install. So it would be airbag sensor connected to wires leading to airbag in the sears but instead the resistor would be there instead of the airbag? Did you cut the connector off the airbag itself, splice in the resistor and then plug it into airbag sensor? Sorry I've never done anything like this before and want a better understanding.

OP
T
Thread Starter #31
Forgive me of my ignorance. I'm just trying to get a better understanding before I do my install. So it would be airbag sensor connected to wires leading to airbag in the sears but instead the resistor would be there instead of the airbag? Did you cut the connector off the airbag itself, splice in the resistor and then plug it into airbag sensor? Sorry I've never done anything like this before and want a better understanding.
I didn't cut the air bag connectors off. I just removed harnesss that were connected under the seat If you look at the photo of Part 5 in the original post. There is a photo where the two red alligator clips connect the air bag connector. All i did was create a loop between the two with the OHM resistor in the middle. You don't have to do it that way, you could just stick the OHM resistor in the connector if you'd like.

I didn't cut the air bag connectors off. I just removed harnesss that were connected under the seat If you look at the photo of Part 5 in the original post. There is a photo where the two red alligator clips connect the air bag connector. All i did was create a loop between the two with the OHM resistor in the middle. You don't have to do it that way, you could just stick the OHM resistor in the connector if you'd like.
That cleared it up for me. Thanks!

So we just need to unbolt/remove the airbag harness from the seat, plug it into the connector coming from under the carpet, and use alligator clips to splice in a resistor, correct?

Are there other connectors that need to come off of the stock seat?

OP
T
Thread Starter #34
So we just need to unbolt/remove the airbag harness from the seat, plug it into the connector coming from under the carpet, and use alligator clips to splice in a resistor, correct?

Are there other connectors that need to come off of the stock seat?
Yeah

I installed my own Sparco seat this weekend and wanted to add my .02. To top it off, the resistor method described works perfectly.

The entire wiring harness from under the seat has to come out. It's not tricky, just some Christmas tree clips and such and it will come out. My Sparco seat had quite a bit of webbing on the bottom, so I was able to tuck the magnetic sensor and other wires into the webbing to keep them safe and secure. All of the plugs go right back where they were once you have the harness off of the seat, EXCEPT the sensor that plugs into the air bag in the actual seat. That is the plug that you have to splice in the resistor.

The planted bracket has a place for the female end of the seat belt. You will need a M10x1.5 nut and washer to secure the female seat belt end to the bracket. If you are using a reclining seat, that's it. If you are using a fixed back seat like me, the housing around the belt keeps it from going into the hole in the seat. I used a razor and cut off most of the plastic housing so that it would be "floppy". This exposes the wires, so I wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape to protect it.

Even with rails, this drops the seating position quite a bit.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Looks identical to my sparcos in my 03 focus I have had for a while now. Not the lightest seats but great price and pretty comfy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

First thanks for the writeup and detail. I installed some vinyl recaros, used generic NRG rails an planted brackets. All went well, however have a few things to fix, I think I swapped sides on the seat belt brackets, so will fix that by the weekend. For the passenger seat did the resistor trick however will need to do something with the occupancy sensor. Anyone have any tricks, or have swapped the parts into the seat?

Bad pic finished super late at night.