Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bizzareos thought on R888R and auto X

Alot of people have been asking me "how do you like the R888R'S" at auto X. So here's my break down of them.

Vehicle:
2015 Fiesta ST
Mods:
3" intake and cat back exhaust (stock cat)
Rear motor mount (helps reduce engine roll / wheel hop)
Front sway bar
Rear torsion bar
17x8 light weight rims with TOYO R888R

everything else is cosmetic (BOV spacer, wing risers)

So I managed to get the tires for 40% off list, which ended up being $204.00 CDN a tire before taxes and MCO discount* (motorsports club of Ottawa). (205/40/17). I bought these with the intent that I needed a tire I could take to the track and auto X (and save my street tires).

1) At auto x it's hard to get these tires to temp with out getting yelled at. So over inflating them is a good idea (by the middle of R5 we had them at 40 PSI). At 40 psi I was shaving off SECONDS per a run (dropped about 6 seconds over 5 runs (note we didn't inflate the tires higher until run 2 or 3).

2) At this price point. These tires are freaking great. Lots of grip, lots of room to learn on and push the car. It definitely feels faster than the Bridgestone RE050A that I was running last year. (my mods also help).

3) Would I buy these again? Yup. No questions asked. If I was ONLY doing auto X, I would go for the RA1's or a cheater tire. I think I will run these for a few years, then switch to a full slick (RR or hoosiers). There is just so much room to learn on these.

The downfall for a proper DOT race tire in auto X comes down to classing. Do you think you will be competitive with the points your taking on? For MCO, it's a full class. Not sure what it is for SCCA. Also how often do you want to buy tires? With auto X and a few lapping days I should be able to get almost two seasons out of these.

link for the discount:
http://www.toyotires.ca/racing-program

* MCO discount was provided by talon tire (basically covers shipping and a small discount).

I ran these tires for one AutoX event. They were 205-50-15's. I had them up to 50psi cold to keep them from rolling over on the front tires.
By comparison, I run 34-36 in the front tires on my 215-45-17 Z2's.

I agree that the R888R has more grip than most tires, but I'm curious how it would perform vs the RE71r

for SCCA they wouldnt be legal for the class you fall in based on your mods, currently STX, next year STH, Street Touring classes are lmited to a 200tw tire, the r888r is a 100

for SCCA they wouldnt be legal for the class you fall in based on your mods, currently STX, next year STH, Street Touring classes are lmited to a 200tw tire, the r888r is a 100
Any more info on the STH class? Haven't been able to track any down online and no one in my region seems to have heard about it.

Any more info on the STH class? Haven't been able to track any down online and no one in my region seems to have heard about it.
from what i have been told on it, its going to be just another st class, getting the turbo FWD cars out of having to races the FRS/BRZ/GT86's

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
I ran these tires for one AutoX event. They were 205-50-15's. I had them up to 50psi cold to keep them from rolling over on the front tires.
By comparison, I run 34-36 in the front tires on my 215-45-17 Z2's.

I agree that the R888R has more grip than most tires, but I'm curious how it would perform vs the RE71r
I could see that on a 15 degree day. out here it averages 25-30. I'm pretty happy with 40, but I might have to test out a few more configurations. Probably start lower in the morning (like 36).

I could see that on a 15 degree day. out here it averages 25-30. I'm pretty happy with 40, but I might have to test out a few more configurations. Probably start lower in the morning (like 36).
It was in the 80F range that day. I chalked the tires and the tires rolled onto the sidewalls if I ran them under 50psi

I have done about 6 AX events this year on my R888Rs and two track days, and I absolutely love them. Like you guys said when they get up to temp the grip and feel is great( I also run them around 40psi). I get way more feel for what the car is doing and way more control over the lift off oversteer now with these and coilovers compared to last year running stock suspension and my Advans. I run them In the 205/45/r16 size, was only 124$ a tire on tire rack when I got em.