Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ex-E30 fanatic turned Fiesta

Hi guys,

Just drove home in my brand new '17 Fiesta ST. Slicktop, Racaro's and Nav.
I'm in love!

I'm a former E30 enthusiast. I've done many track days, TT's, auto-x's, and rally-x's in my various E30's.

Here's some pictures:

I still have my track car and my black IX for sale in case anyone's interested!

Looking forward to the Fiesta as my only car. It's such an amazing feel right from the factory. Thinking I might do the Cobb stage 1 kit down the road, but nothing more.

I am really looking forward to the Ford ST Octane school in SLC though!

Any other E30 guys on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had an e28 and an e30. Those cars were amazing. I've always considered going back to one, I've had many cars in between several Volvo's and they were close, but nothing drove like the BMWs from the mid 80's and early 90's. That was until I drove this car. It instantly took me back to how I felt the first time I drove an e30.

Welcome to the group. I bought my car back in January and put the Cobb Stage 1 pack on earlier this month. I felt the same way as you that the Stage One would be sufficient. I quickly learned once you feel how much more is left on the table with this car you will be wanting more. I'm not so sure I will go to Stage 3, but I am definitely going to go Stage 2 with a custom tune. When you get your Stage 1 kit order from a tuner like Stratified, so you can get a free tune along with the package. I went from Cobb to Stratified and the difference is pretty noticeable.

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
I've had an e28 and an e30. Those cars were amazing. I've always considered going back to one, I've had many cars in between several Volvo's and they were close, but nothing drove like the BMWs from the mid 80's and early 90's. That was until I drove this car. It instantly took me back to how I felt the first time I drove an e30.

Welcome to the group. I bought my car back in January and put the Cobb Stage 1 pack on earlier this month. I felt the same way as you that the Stage One would be sufficient. I quickly learned once you feel how much more is left on the table with this car you will be wanting more. I'm not so sure I will go to Stage 3, but I am definitely going to go Stage 2 with a custom tune. When you get your Stage 1 kit order from a tuner like Stratified, so you can get a free tune along with the package. I went from Cobb to Stratified and the difference is pretty noticeable.
Nice!
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

What's the deal with a Stratified tune vs. Cobb. Still requires a Cobb access port to interface with the ECU?

How do the tunes differ? I'm happy to get technical. I have a Vipec v88 standalone Ecu in my race car. I have a pretty good technical understanding of what makes an engine spin.

Welcome!! Love me some e30s (and older bmw's in general)! You'll find that "fizz" with the FiST as well.

For really any worthy tune you need the Cobb Access Port. Stratified is a dealer for Cobb as well as PumaSpeed. The Cobb tune is good tune which you get with the OTS tune no matter where you purchase the AP. There are several different tuners that will put their own tweaks on it. They even offer custom tunes specifically off of a data log you take with the AP. I know Alex at Stratified offers a free tune with a lot of the bolts on you can purchase from the store including the AP. I bought the AP and then decided to go with a Stratified tune after the fact. Could have saved myself $50 had I purchased it from them. In my opinion the Cobb Stage 1 tune is a definite improvement over factory and is a noticeable gain, the Stratified tune and I'm sure as well as the other tunes out there give a noticeable gain over the Cobb tune.

I've been eyeballing E30s for rallycross. Great cars. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #16
For really any worthy tune you need the Cobb Access Port. Stratified is a dealer for Cobb as well as PumaSpeed. The Cobb tune is good tune which you get with the OTS tune no matter where you purchase the AP. There are several different tuners that will put their own tweaks on it. They even offer custom tunes specifically off of a data log you take with the AP. I know Alex at Stratified offers a free tune with a lot of the bolts on you can purchase from the store including the AP. I bought the AP and then decided to go with a Stratified tune after the fact. Could have saved myself $50 had I purchased it from them. In my opinion the Cobb Stage 1 tune is a definite improvement over factory and is a noticeable gain, the Stratified tune and I'm sure as well as the other tunes out there give a noticeable gain over the Cobb tune.

That makes sense. I will definitely be taking this route when the time comes.

Thanks!

OP
B
Thread Starter #17
Welcome!

Fellow e30 head as well.
I have a 89 325i (m52, turbo, standalone, oz futuras) and have had 3 other e30's as well.

Happy to answer any questions on the FiST, I am an engineer from CP-E (cobb protuner as well). The ECU in your fiesta is WAY different from anything that would run an m20, m30, ect.

After years of driving only e30s (and an e36) I drove our shop fiesta ST and it was the only car ive really driven that had the raw fun factor that my e30's had and I had to have one. If I drive my e30 on the weekends, I needed a car to drive during the week that didn't make me depressed in comparison, and the fiesta nailed it (airbags, a/c, and a warranty are a bonus).

again, welcome!

OP
B
Thread Starter #20
Welcome!

Fellow e30 head as well.
I have a 89 325i (m52, turbo, standalone, oz futuras) and have had 3 other e30's as well.

Happy to answer any questions on the FiST, I am an engineer from CP-E (cobb protuner as well). The ECU in your fiesta is WAY different from anything that would run an m20, m30, ect.

After years of driving only e30s (and an e36) I drove our shop fiesta ST and it was the only car ive really driven that had the raw fun factor that my e30's had and I had to have one. If I drive my e30 on the weekends, I needed a car to drive during the week that didn't make me depressed in comparison, and the fiesta nailed it (airbags, a/c, and a warranty are a bonus).

again, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome.
Ya, from the little bit of reading I've done so far, I can see that these engines are obviously much more complex than an M20/M30.
Even when comparing to a Siemens ECU in an S54.
I'm excited to see what some of these "stage 1" calibrations have to offer. Maybe even I'll play around with some ethanol.

I was blown away how good the road feel and handling is in these cars compared to E30's. I think the steering rack might even be shorter than the Z3 1.9!

Either case, I'm definitely not adding any parts that I'll have to deal with removing anytime I want to stop in at the dealer. I paid a good chunk of change for my 100k warranty.