Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people have had transmissions issues?

Just curious of how many people have had transmission issues such as the transmission whine, and did the dealer cover it under warranty? Also when you took your car in was it modded or stock, if it was modded, did the dealership give you any hassle? At 22k, my car started making this horrible transmission whine this week, it happens when your in gear and accelerate.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine did it only in 4th loudly and then crept Into 6th...but not 5th....weird...mine was replaced at 30k....just 1k ago......my vehicle is stock except RMM....OCC....intake hose.....velossatech snorkel. Some dealers do not Care....its just finding one who doesn't is the key....talk to some people....in your area if you know anyone who has a newer Ford....thats modded of course. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Had mine done @30k....trans whine was in 4th bad....not in 5th but creeping Into 6th. I have a RMM...intake hose....Velosstech snorkel....no major mods....they didn't say anything. Just do some poking around with other ford owners....see which dealer doesn't care and who will rip your car apart to find anything! Good luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've got a real slight whine - comes and goes. It's a 2015 with 23K miles, so warranty ran out in December. I called Ford corporate an complained about it just to get it on the record before then. WTF Ford you and Getrag can't make a manual tranny? I've heard that if you have the tranny out for a clutch job that it's either hard or easy to put in new bearings in this model(?) And I think a kit does exist with these bearings now(?) Just wondering what it's gonna cost me - when not if.

Last edited:

Sam4

Input shaft bearings shit the bed at 59,750. I was able to fight my way thru the standard BS ("we don't warranty the clutch") and got warranty coverage, but then faced 13 weeks of back orders! Ford owns Getrag and had them cut as many corners as possible - there's nothing on the parts list over $10.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Input shaft bearings shit the bed at 59,750. I was able to fight my way thru the standard BS ("we don't warranty the clutch") and got warranty coverage, but then faced 13 weeks of back orders! Ford owns Getrag and had them cut as many corners as possible - there's nothing on the parts list over $10.
What were the Symptoms?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ford does not own Getrag..........

An interesting thing is that it seems to almost always just be the input shaft bearing on the drivers side. Note how the corresponding bearing on the intermediate shaft - looking about identical - doesn't seem to go. So I'm thinking we're dealing with the 1.8 liter fill spec below the drain plug. This is compounded by the prevalence of halfshaft seal leaks. Simple oil starvation?

Last edited:

Sam4

Yeah - they own Getrag. Symptoms included metal on metal grinding not really changed by depressing the pedal. No clutch "weakness", just grinding. From the home page:

Home of transmissions
GETRAG FORD Transmissions is a full-service supplier for Manual Transmissions, Hybrid Transmissions and eDrive and supports the complete product lifecycle