Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 tune. Am I missing out?

Also, logically would it work to just always fill up when near empty with exactly 2 gallons of E85 and 6 gallons of 93? Seems like that would keep the mix consistent since you dont have to worry about partial portions when filling all the way up.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Yes, that would work but wouldn't be the most efficient because you'd never get a full tank. I use my Accessport to give me my fuel remaining in a percentage. I then do a little math to figure out how many gallons I'm gonna need to fill up, then use Stratified's handy dandy chart. I've only been on the E30 tune for a few weeks now but I've "filled up" 3 or 4 times already. It's pretty simple, only takes an extra few minutes to do the maths, and it gets me to exactly full every time.

Not a bad idea. I'm on the MP215 right now. Wonder if Randy could upload a MP215+E30 customization for me on an AP for a fee. Might need to check on that shortly. I love the way the car feels with 1 gallon of E85 on an otherwise full tank of 93.

me32

1000 Post Club
Not a bad idea. I'm on the MP215 right now. Wonder if Randy could upload a MP215+E30 customization for me on an AP for a fee. Might need to check on that shortly. I love the way the car feels with 1 gallon of E85 on an otherwise full tank of 93.
Nope he can't do that. You will have to buy another cobb AP and have him make a tune. The MP tuner is locked to that tune only.

Regardless of the new device, i meant the same specs for a MP215 tune, placed on a new AP, with E30 adjustments. To be clear

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Well if you are getting an all-new accessport then you can get whatever tune you want. I would get it from stratified though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Yes, that would work but wouldn't be the most efficient because you'd never get a full tank. I use my Accessport to give me my fuel remaining in a percentage. I then do a little math to figure out how many gallons I'm gonna need to fill up, then use Stratified's handy dandy chart. I've only been on the E30 tune for a few weeks now but I've "filled up" 3 or 4 times already. It's pretty simple, only takes an extra few minutes to do the maths, and it gets me to exactly full every time.
I don't really understand their chart. I just figured when you're almost empty on fuel, fill in 3 gallons and top up the rest with premium. Right?? Does everyone calculate their fill ups very accurately? I was under the impression that it won't break anything if you're off by a bit.

What's the capacity of full tank? Seems like the ratio is somewhere roughly about 1:3 Ethanol to Pump Gas ratio?

codestp202

Do we know how accurate that feature is on the AP? I used it the first time when doing my e30. I honestly have just been putting in 5 gallons at a time of the right mixture.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Do we know how accurate that feature is on the AP? I used it the first time when doing my e30. I honestly have just been putting in 5 gallons at a time of the right mixture.
So roughly E40 then? Have you logged at all? How's it running?

codestp202

So roughly E40 then? Have you logged at all? How's it running?
Nah sorry what I mean is, I've been going to about half tank of e30 blend, putting in around 1.4 of e85 and 3.6 of 91. Basically the same thing as filling up a 5 gallon canister of e30 mix and pouring it in the tank.

I just watch my gas gauge like a hawk, and try to time my gas stop about the time the gas light comes on(approx 40 miles to E) Then its 3 gal of 85, and scoot to the next pump and fill with 93. I love the fun of e30, but man I have to get gas WAY more often. I drive about 60/40(highway/city) and get about 260-270 miles per tank which means need gas every 3 days :( I drive alot.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
If I fill up based on my AP's fuel remaining number, I am still 1-1.5 gallons kess than when the pump auto shuts off.

What I like to do is use the ignitelabs online calculator with conservative estimates on E content. I've been adjusting based on my LTFT and have it pretty much at zero now. I had to add quite a bit more E85 to get there, so my E85 and 93 probably has low E content.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I just watch my gas gauge like a hawk, and try to time my gas stop about the time the gas light comes on(approx 40 miles to E) Then its 3 gal of 85, and scoot to the next pump and fill with 93. I love the fun of e30, but man I have to get gas WAY more often. I drive about 60/40(highway/city) and get about 260-270 miles per tank which means need gas every 3 days :( I drive alot.
I only manage about 20-22 mpg. But I only got 22mpg on 93 so F it. Lol

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Your tuner should have calibrated a built in safety net that accounts for small swings in ethanol percentages throughout the year. The net is weaved in threads of the timing tables, forward feeds in boost control strategy, AFR... The ECU is ridiculously complicated; literally hundreds of tables. A calibration for a stock turbo car on 91/93 is close to hundred tables touched, if not more. E85 adds more, and big turbo adding more to touched on top of that. Of course, once the tuner has his tuning strategy, he's not making hundreds of adjustments on your specific car on every revision, but they are checked. Anyway, my point is that E25-E35 swings aren't going to damage your car if your tuner has done his job, so as long as you know your basic E85 stations percentage you're fine without the gauges. If you want to be a little more thorough, check bi-annually, in Spring and Winter. There's a document out on the internet that lists, by region, when summer and winter blends are delivered (some hotter climate regions do not change). Typically changes are in March-April (E80-E85) and October-November (E70). Only if you are determined to have maximum power at all times should you worry about the content analyzer.

AzNightmare

hm.... I just finally tried E30 on Stratified tune. Initial impression... If I want to be honest, haven't felt a difference. Maybe a tiny bit, but not enough to confidently say it wasn't just placebo. My AP still reads the same boost numbers, est torque, and est hp.
Is there an ECU learning period?

I've done some pulls along my commute whenever I had the chance and on the highways, but I haven't tried datalogging a 3rd gear pull yet,
so maybe it's one of those things where my car is actually going a lot faster but I don't feel it. But I was expecting to feel torque shove on E30. Maybe my expectations were off.

From what I read, E30 is supposed to be a drastic difference, so I was expecting to definitely feel a difference the instant I step on the throttle.
This hasn't been the case in my daily city commuting though...

Maybe something is wrong. Or am I supposed to only feel the diff if I'm ripping the car in 4-5k rpm? I only put about 12L (3.17~ gal) of E85 so maybe I need more?

Edit: Oh... I just did some datalogging. My vdyno shows improvement. Fair enough. I can't argue with data. lol

Last edited:

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I just did a e30 tune from dizzy and the tq is just nuts. Very happy with it. Ran it on a fast autocross layout yesterday and it was a bit much lol. Averaged 24 mpg on hwy at 75-78 ish.

Last edited:

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
hm.... I just finally tried E30 on Stratified tune. Initial impression... If I want to be honest, haven't felt a difference. Maybe a tiny bit, but not enough to confidently say it wasn't just placebo. My AP still reads the same boost numbers, est torque, and est hp.
Is there an ECU learning period?

I've done some pulls along my commute whenever I had the chance and on the highways, but I haven't tried datalogging a 3rd gear pull yet,
so maybe it's one of those things where my car is actually going a lot faster but I don't feel it. But I was expecting to feel torque shove on E30. Maybe my expectations were off.

From what I read, E30 is supposed to be a drastic difference, so I was expecting to definitely feel a difference the instant I step on the throttle.
This hasn't been the case in my daily city commuting though...

Maybe something is wrong. Or am I supposed to only feel the diff if I'm ripping the car in 4-5k rpm? I only put about 12L (3.17~ gal) of E85 so maybe I need more?

Edit: Oh... I just did some datalogging. My vdyno shows improvement. Fair enough. I can't argue with data. lol
If you’re using E10- I show 29.2% ethanol. If you’re using E0- I show 21.7% ethanol based on your 3.17 gallon E fill. Maybe kick it up a notch; try 3.5, or 4 gallons. Also take note that we’re getting closer to fall, so the ethanol content from the pump could be reduced.

AzNightmare

If you’re using E10- I show 29.2% ethanol. If you’re using E0- I show 21.7% ethanol based on your 3.17 gallon E fill. Maybe kick it up a notch; try 3.5, or 4 gallons. Also take note that we’re getting closer to fall, so the ethanol content from the pump could be reduced.
My pump gas don't have any ethanol at all. So you think I should kick it up a notch and try 3.5-4 gal of E85? I might give that a try next time