Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 tune. Am I missing out?

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club

AzNightmare

In the case of an emergency and you lose track of how much ethanol content is in your tank,

Is it safer to run a 91/93 Octane tune or run an E30 tune? I'm talking like if you have about E20~ but you're not sure and you just want to use up your tank and restart again, what tune is better to use?

Reason I ask is because I logically would assume running a less aggressive tune is safer. But someone told me that's not the case, because if the car's tune isn't expecting ethanol but too much is detected in the tank, that could be a problem, so he said run the E30 tune if there's significant amount of ethanol in there.

So which is correct?

If in doubt, fill up with 93 and use 93 tune. You should always know what's in your tank. I have 1 station around me for e85. I plan at 50 til e I should make my way there for a 4gal e85 and the rest 93 fill up. The e30 tune will account for e24-e36 I'd hope. I'm on my second tank of e30 mix, oar is still -1.00, no knock. If you are not confident you can make to the station at halfway, or at empty, go for a 93 tune.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the case of an emergency and you lose track of how much ethanol content is in your tank,

Is it safer to run a 91/93 Octane tune or run an E30 tune? I'm talking like if you have about E20~ but you're not sure and you just want to use up your tank and restart again, what tune is better to use?

Reason I ask is because I logically would assume running a less aggressive tune is safer. But someone told me that's not the case, because if the car's tune isn't expecting ethanol but too much is detected in the tank, that could be a problem, so he said run the E30 tune if there's significant amount of ethanol in there.

So which is correct?
Depends on your 93 and e30 tunes. Your tuner likely built in some leeway but, if not, with the 93 tune you may risk running lean; and with the e30 tune, you may risk running rich. Best suggestion is to contact your tuner and ask. Or, just do as PearlGreen suggests and refuel.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
The risk of running rich or lean is only if you're bouncing it off the rev limiter. Drive it normal, keep the rpm down, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

On my 2nd tank now. The ethanol station is about 35 min (completely) out of my way one way, so I also filled up 3 gal in a gas can from my last visit a couple weeks back.

Instead of doing 3 gal + full tank of 91, on my 2nd fill up, I decided to do 3 gal + 8 gal of 91 to test out a stronger Ethanol mix.

In all honesty, I haven't been able to buttdyno any major differences. Maybe I got used to it already, or the weather in winter isn't the greatest to be having fun spirited drives. I do 97% city driving so normally on 91 tune, I'm getting about 240 mi/ tank. I've noticed my last tank, I got about 200 miles. LOL...! Pretty much same driving habits. Tank of E30 really doesn't last long, does it? haha

I think after my current tank is done, I'll wait until spring before I try it again. It doesn't seem worth it right now with the weather and how often I'll probably have to fill up if I want to sustain this, and how far the ethanol station is.

[biggrin]

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
On my 2nd tank now. The ethanol station is about 35 min (completely) out of my way one way, so I also filled up 3 gal in a gas can from my last visit a couple weeks back.

Instead of doing 3 gal + full tank of 91, on my 2nd fill up, I decided to do 3 gal + 8 gal of 91 to test out a stronger Ethanol mix.

In all honesty, I haven't been able to buttdyno any major differences. Maybe I got used to it already, or the weather in winter isn't the greatest to be having fun spirited drives. I do 97% city driving so normally on 91 tune, I'm getting about 240 mi/ tank. I've noticed my last tank, I got about 200 miles. LOL...! Pretty much same driving habits. Tank of E30 really doesn't last long, does it? haha

I think after my current tank is done, I'll wait until spring before I try it again. It doesn't seem worth it right now with the weather and how often I'll probably have to fill up if I want to sustain this, and how far the ethanol station is.

[biggrin]
It’s possible that your stations have already converted to E70. But like you said, I’d wait for spring at this point. And if you don’t already have an ethanol tester, I’d at least order the one in the link above.

I'm averaging about 30 mpg on my 4 gal e85/ rest 93 mix. It hardly goes down when I pull a few times too. I reset every tank, so it's relative. Of course Florida has winter right now... :p peaked 27 lbs of booooooost!

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
I am averaging 21mpg. I get on it a lot and even my slow driving is quick. I do about 4gal of E85 and fill up the rest with 93. And I fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I'm averaging about 30 mpg on my 4 gal e85/ rest 93 mix. It hardly goes down when I pull a few times too. I reset every tank, so it's relative. Of course Florida has winter right now... :p peaked 27 lbs of booooooost!
I'm sitting at 24.1 mpg with my e30 tune.... I like to dip into the throttle too much lol

LILIKE16ST

I recently got a flash tune from Stratified for both 93 and e30. I was on cobb stage 2 for a week or so till I got my 93 strat tune...switched to the 93 tune for a day or do...big difference...then went and got myself some e30 and switched to the e30 slot...even bigger difference. This stuff is awesome and I now have 2 sheetz stations I can get it from both in completely different directions from my place...one about 40 miles one way and recently they got it at another sheetz in the opposite direction and it's just 30 miles one way and I'm down in that area alot on the weekends anyways so that's much better for me. I filled up 4 diff 5 gallon jugs of the stuff to make it more convenient and I have tested both stations and both tested out 85% ethanol in late February so that's good. I added 4 gal of e85 on my first couple tanks and the tank was very low both times....now that I know how healthy the % is I will probably add 3 gal next time when the gas light comes on. I'm getting +2 to +4 corrections accross the board with no negative corrections and my OAR has stayed at -1.0 so I know I'm running some good fuel and the proper mix. I purchased the datalog refinement for both tunes so I'll have to do that pretty soon...I beleive there is some room for safe power based on the data I have monitored. Glad we got some good e85 here in southwest va now :)

P.s. I still gotta update my sig I'm about to pull the trigger on a cpe intake, vt big mouth, swift springs, awr rmm, symposer delete and new plugs soon so I will update accordingly after these things get installed :)

redmoe

I am getting around 29mpg with e30 from Dizzy. I was getting around 27.5mpg with Stratified. I just switched to the Dizzy e30 and it makes significantly more power for me than the Stratified. I have posted alot of tune comparison data in my Stage 1 tune comparison thread. Here's the vdyno for the Dizzy vs Stratified: dizzy vs stratified e30.jpg

Silly question, what mods are REQUIRED for E30? Is it as simple as 1 step colder plugs, AP, tune and everything else is bonus? A gas station just started selling E10, E15, E20, E30 and E40 two miles from my house!!! Never had this option so never researched it. Did not see anything in this thread about mandatory upgrades to run it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Silly question, what mods are REQUIRED for E30? Is it as simple as 1 step colder plugs, AP, tune and everything else is bonus? A gas station just started selling E10, E15, E20, E30 and E40 two miles from my house!!! Never had this option so never researched it. Did not see anything in this thread about mandatory upgrades to run it.
Here is your only problem the purpose of E30 is to have a higher octane. The E30 they sell at gas stations pre-mixed normally doesn't have any higher octane than regular old 93 heck sometimes even less. A proper E30 Mix is 93 or 91 mixed with E85. Ethanol has less energy than gasoline but has a much higher octane this allows a more aggressive boost and timing ability. Technically the only thing you need is a E30 tune. They are able to sell all those different mixes because they are using a blender pump, and probably mixing it with regular old 87.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Good to know thanks man. Will pick up a tester and take some random samples before pulling the trigger.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Here is your only problem the purpose of E30 is to have a higher octane. The E30 they sell at gas stations pre-mixed normally doesn't have any higher octane than regular old 93 heck sometimes even less. A proper E30 Mix is 93 or 91 mixed with E85. Ethanol has less energy than gasoline but has a much higher octane this allows a more aggressive boost and timing ability. Technically the only thing you need is a E30 tune. They are able to sell all those different mixes because they are using a blender pump, and probably mixing it with regular old 87.
Honestly, it's not the octane that matters much with the e30 tunes, it's the cooling effect of the ethanol itself so that it can be ran harder. My state doesn't have self serve and was accidentally pumped regular so I burned off some on Stage 0, added 4 gallons of full test e85 and fit a gallon of premium to top it off. Perfect OAR and almost zero negative corrections and tos of power with new Dizzy V2 e30 tune, all at around 94 total octane.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Honestly, it's not the octane that matters much with the e30 tunes, it's the cooling effect of the ethanol itself so that it can be ran harder. My state doesn't have self serve and was accidentally pumped regular so I burned off some on Stage 0, added 4 gallons of full test e85 and fit a gallon of premium to top it off. Perfect OAR and almost zero negative corrections and tos of power with new Dizzy V2 e30 tune, all at around 94 total octane.
Sorry but you are wrong. 87 E30 mix is not even 93 octane. If you honestly think E30 has nothing to do with the octane rating why don't you go ask a tuner because you are so wrong.

http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk