Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

chatter noise when letting clutch out in 2nd and third gear

2017, just passed 3,000 miles, when i let the clutch out i get a noticeable chatter noise (not related to any clunking noises), you can hear it outside of the car. Just wondering if anybody has ran into this problem. Also you cannot feel anything abnormal through the clutch pedal

Last edited:
[MENTION=8155]Ptuning_Nate[/MENTION] I noticed this yesterday after only a few hundred miles, but I know it is not clutch related. With all the mush bushings under the car I will be getting a RMM from woosh and new exhaust with poly hangers to keep anything hitting, moving under the car. Then will see if it is still happens.

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
i have the cobb rear motor mount and mountune catback with cobb exhaust hangars, noise is still there

[MENTION=8155]Ptuning_Nate[/MENTION]

Well if that's the case, since I haven't modded anything yet that I would need to take off, I will take mine to service next week and see if I can get a diagnosis with a ride along so I know they will hear it. I will let you know if what they find if anything.

Spaceman_Spiff

Well if that's the case, since I haven't modded anything yet that I would need to take off, I will take mine to service next week and see if I can get a diagnosis with a ride along so I know they will hear it. I will let you know if what they find if anything.
Awesome. Mine's done this forever. I'm sure it's just part of the car (like the noisy/clicky engine) but it's good to know what they have to say about it...

Spaceman_Spiff

Awesome. Mine's done this forever. I'm sure it's just part of the car (like the noisy/clicky engine) but it's good to know what they have to say about it...

[MENTION=4948]Spaceman_Spiff[/MENTION]

Crappy part is that within a few hundred miles it feels nothing like the car I test drove...lol. However with that said I bought my focus new in 06 and it has 508,000 on it. And in that time you know everything that might sound not right. So my butt does have some adjusting to do to a new car.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine is doing this too but only in first. If i drag the clutch a bit it doesn't. I suspect it's my passenger side axle since I noticed cv joint fling in that area. I'm planning to remove the Cobb rmm and take it in soon. Mine only started this about a month ago. I'm at 20k...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It's driver error. Simple as that. Slip the clutch more and it won't do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's driver error. Simple as that. Slip the clutch more and it won't do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
nope. Mine has gotten to the point where sometimes rattles come through pedals just idling in neutral.

Quick thought... Has anyone checked their shift linkage or bracket.. I have the FSwerks aluminum shift bracket bushing kit and am tempted to throw it on. I could imagine if the rubber bushings were history it could cause a "chatter" noise from movement.

I got that too, virtually every time after the car has been driven for a while and is warmed up. Also, clutch feels less... tactile and tight on engagement. My best guess is something in the transmission loosens and/or softens up, so you get this resonance both while idling in neutral and during that last little bit when the clutch is being let out; both emit same kind of sound.

Besides less satisfying clutch engagement and annoyance, this doesn't seem to affect the driving dynamics of the car. I am, however, super interested if anyone manages to get a mechanic to diagnose it to the end.

EDIT: The car is bone stock.

EDIT #2: Re: more clutch slippage, if I do it slow, it makes it worse; if I'm aggressive and quick at the same time, I am able to eliminate the rattle about 50% of the time, but that's not how I would necessarily want to drive the car.

Business6

I get it from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. Have to have the windows up and no music in order to hear it but it's definitely there and is especially noticeable in the first shifts after starting. I have to disengage the clutch in a manner that has no slippage at all in order to avoid the chatter which makes those shifts pretty harsh.

VikingMike

Just took my 2017 to Ford because of it, was told it's a typical thing with these transmissions but they won't repair it until the transmission basically blows.