Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MemphST's Student Project

I never expected this day to come, but alas, it is here. I am starting a build thread. My egg-shaped economy car is ready to be a ridiculous project all centered around smiles and pop pops. Car culture isn't prevalent in my area. Memphis and North Mississippi automotive culture is about shit cars on 24s, lifted trucks rolling coal, or straight line monsters. With that being said, the culture here is almost non-existent. So, I wanted a car that would stand out, have decent gas mileage, and have back seats. Boom! Fiesta ST! I got the car in June of 2016 and have been enjoying every drive since.

Side Note: I am a student working a low wage job during the summer and may or may not work during the school year, as I am a young, overly-committed college student.

I've not made many modifications yet, but here are the ones I do have in order of installation date:

Drop-in Green Filter June 2016
Cobb Accessport V3 (Stage 1 OTS) June 2016
Ford All-Weather Floor Mats June 2016
No-pistons Dead Pedal June 2016
Boomba Racing Blow Off Valve Adapter February 2017
Gorilla Automotive 21133BC Small Diameter Acorn Black 5 Lug Kit June 2017
MBRP 3" Catback Exhaust in T304 August 2017
Sound Symposer Delete September 2017
Active Shift Designs Pedal Spacer October 2017
2J Racing Catless Downpipe in T304 October 2017

Photos to come

August 2, 2017

A friend and I installed the MBRP catback exhaust onto my car. One end of the S pipe was ovaled terribly (if anyone has any solutions to fixing this oval, let me know, because it's leaking right now and I have the clamps as tight as I can get them.), so that was a huge pain in the ass. However, I am absolutely loving the sound of this thing. There is little to no drone at all when just cruising, but when I'm on the throttle, it's breaking necks and bringing smiles. Loving the exhaust so far.

August 3, 2017

Today, I removed the fiesta badge and spent roughly 5 hours cleaning the outside of my car. I washed, polished, washed, waxed, applied rain-x, applied some back-to-black trim restorer, and put some stickers on the rear window. During the first semester of school last year, my car had to stay outside a lot without being driven too much, because I lived on campus at my university. This led to my paint becoming seemingly ruined. I had DEEP water spots EVERYWHERE. I tried many many many products and methods to get these things out, but nothing worked. Today, I finally just picked up a polisher, spent some real time on it, and the water spots are gone. I'm extremely relieved as they would bother me beyond belief. Anyways, here are some pictures of my ST after everything was said and done.

[I realize that I didn't do a perfect job cleaning up the paint]

Last edited:
OP
M
Thread Starter #3
Grab a RMM from [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] and you'll be well on your way with those other mods!
You think the AWR one would be better than the cobb? I've heard almost entirely good things about the cobb one. I don't know much of anything about the AWR. I want it to be as stiff as possible with as little vibration as possible. I realize those two things are hard to get together though.

You think the AWR one would be better than the cobb? I've heard almost entirely good things about the cobb one. I don't know much of anything about the AWR. I want it to be as stiff as possible with as little vibration as possible. I realize those two things are hard to get together though.
Well I just meant purchase one from him... I have the CPE which I like a lot (feels performancy) and until recently was the stiffest mount generally available.
But now he offers three
Mountune
CPE
And the AWR which comes in three levels of stifffness with the 3rd being more stiff than the CPE.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...t-with-70-88-and-95-durometer-bushing-options

But yeah RMM and Accesport are the best mods for the ST do a little searching and see which brand you want.
( I'm gonna have to start charging [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] for the sales ;)

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
For this thread, would anyone who looks at it rather the updates in the form of new posts, or edits to the first one?
Also, would anyone be interested in some video and audio of the exhaust? I have a decent camera I could do it with.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
Quick update:

The 2J Racing downpipe was delivered a little over a month ago. I've attempted to install it once, but was unsuccessful due to a time constraint. I couldn't get off the upstream O2 sensor. I'm trying to find a free day with somewhat bearable weather to go for another attempt. Any tips on how to get that thing off? There's just not enough space in to get any good leverage on it. It's been a while since I tried last, but I think I remember there being something else inhibiting me from getting the stock downpipe out of the car even with the O2 sensor still attached.

Crazy to think that car culture changes so much just based on geographical area, even within the US. Up here in the Northeast we haven't experienced cars on 24" wheels but rather who can have the widest wheels and sit the lowest. Admittedly I was part of the trend but stepped away after far too many oil pans and suspension setups. It's actually quite shocking to think that people get amusement out of having the lowest widest car yet have to drive on the worst road conditions in the US. Thankfully I've stepped away from all that and am focusing my newest build on function > form

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
Crazy to think that car culture changes so much just based on geographical area, even within the US. Up here in the Northeast we haven't experienced cars on 24" wheels but rather who can have the widest wheels and sit the lowest. Admittedly I was part of the trend but stepped away after far too many oil pans and suspension setups. It's actually quite shocking to think that people get amusement out of having the lowest widest car yet have to drive on the worst road conditions in the US. Thankfully I've stepped away from all that and am focusing my newest build on function > form
That's why the US has the best car culture in the world. There are just so many different climates and terrains that push car culture in different ways entirely within the same country. It's pretty fascinating. It's hard to find a nice form to function balance. Thanks for the comment!

OP
M
Thread Starter #10
I had a little free time today, so I went ahead and removed the sound symposer using the Canadianguy DIY method. Only different is I used slightly different plugs off of amazon. Tested it to make sure the plug didn't fly out, and I'm all good! Now I don't have to listen to the exhaust note clash terribly with the symposer note.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
Tried again this morning to install the downpipe and got hung up at the same spot. The first O2 sensor WILL NOT come off. I tried many different things this time. I've soaked it in PB blaster multiple times, and gave it some heat from the blow torch. None of that worked, so i put the intake back on real quick and ran the car for 20 minutes. Couldn't get the sensor off this time either even after more PB blaster. Even tried to use a breaker bar. Looks like I'm going to have to outsource this work :(

Tried again this morning to install the downpipe and got hung up at the same spot. The first O2 sensor WILL NOT come off. I tried many different things this time. I've soaked it in PB blaster multiple times, and gave it some heat from the blow torch. None of that worked, so i put the intake back on real quick and ran the car for 20 minutes. Couldn't get the sensor off this time either even after more PB blaster. Even tried to use a breaker bar. Looks like I'm going to have to outsource this work :(
Damn I took mine off and forgot to soak it for the weekend...have you tried a O2 wrench? I had a modified box end and it wouldn't hold the hex....kept spreading the tines.

OP
M
Thread Starter #13
Damn I took mine off and forgot to soak it for the weekend...have you tried a O2 wrench? I had a modified box end and it wouldn't hold the hex....kept spreading the tines.
I haven't tried an O2 specific wrench, but I have an O2 socket that i've been using. Just not the best leverage because of the angle I have to deal with behind the engine.

OP
M
Thread Starter #14
After being shafted by a mechanic for this downpipe install, it's finally on. I've only driven for a total of about 20 minutes since putting it on, but it's definitely fun. The sound is louder, but not much louder honestly. The sound is also much more aggressive. While the MBRP catback produces a low and rounded note, the downpipe added into the equation equates to a raw, raspy, and aggressive tone with slight hints of spool added in. As far as crackles and pops go, my initial impressions say that there are less I think? I actually think it pops less. Regardless, I planned on getting a stratified tune in the near future with the crackle and pop map so it's not a big deal to me. More thoughts to come.

Edit: I forgot to add that I purchased an ASD pedal spacer off of a forum member. I've never been able to heel-toe with the stock pedal positions. Hopefully this will make it slightly easier. I still am not very good at all. The install was actually a lot more annoying than I expected. The bolts aren't extremely easy to get to. Still only took about 30 minutes though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Off Topic Discussions 0