Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Autox class am I ?

Delete / Lock What Autox class am I ?

Hi all, I recently attended my first Autox event. I asked the coordinator a while back what class I would be placed in. He had stated I would be classified as SMF. I'm not sure if i should be in SMF, I asked around and others stated i should be in STX.

There was a CRX in my SMF class that won first. However, it got me a little confused cause his car had hoosier street slicks, 1 aluminum bucket seat and his car was caged. That car practically dominated the SMF.

I feel like I'm out of place lol or i just need more seat time and gut the heck out of my car.

There were A LOT of BRZ's / FRS, Miatas, and S2k's.

Below are the list of mods i've done.

Engine:
Panel filter,
Depo Racing Intercooler,
Depo racing downpipe with high flow catalytic converter 100cell,
Cobb Catback Exhaust,
Turbosmart BOV Kompact Re-circ,
Turbosmart Wastegate.
Tune.

Suspension:
6pt lower brace,
Front upper strut brace,
Rear sway bar,
Rear torsion bar stiffener,
Rear Koni yellow adjustable shocks,
Lateral trunk brace.
Stoptech slotted brakes & hawk pads

Last edited:
You're dead on, SMF is where you would fall for classing. Unfortunately, there's a lot more allowances in that class than what you have currently, and that's the downfall at the moment. If you'd take the IC off, the car would fall into the STH class as proposed for next season.

If you want to leave the IC on, a lot of regions have a Street Tire Index'd category that allows cars like yours to run on street tires against eachother and similar cars with a class that would normally allow slicks(SM, SP, etc). That would be my suggestion to run in.

Next event, ask around in registration if they have a class like that to go into, and have fun in there. Usually there's a lot of "lesser prepared" builds in those classes, as not everyone wants to build an all out to the letter of the rules car to run.

Hope that helps.

yea, the IC is the killer. I wont put one on bc i want to hide in my happy little STH corner next year

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
You're dead on, SMF is where you would fall for classing. Unfortunately, there's a lot more allowances in that class than what you have currently, and that's the downfall at the moment. If you'd take the IC off, the car would fall into the STH class as proposed for next season.

If you want to leave the IC on, a lot of regions have a Street Tire Index'd category that allows cars like yours to run on street tires against eachother and similar cars with a class that would normally allow slicks(SM, SP, etc). That would be my suggestion to run in.

Next event, ask around in registration if they have a class like that to go into, and have fun in there. Usually there's a lot of "lesser prepared" builds in those classes, as not everyone wants to build an all out to the letter of the rules car to run.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the clarification and tip. I might just end up staying in the SMF class and focus on just getting better and having fun.

yea, the IC is the killer. I wont put one on bc i want to hide in my happy little STH corner next year
Kinda wished I had looked into the rules prior to just modding the car. I couldn't help it I got bit by the modding bug hard :X.

Kazz

SCCA Autocross is about being happy with your mods for the class or being happy with your mods for the driving experience. If you want to win "trophies" then watch the rules. If you want to learn, concentrate on learning and screw results.

In our region all differently modified FiSTs are in STX class, sometimes making half of all cars in STX and most attended class after Pro